Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: NJ Coast

Having just made a nonstop passage on my new-to-me CS36M from Bristol RI to Baltimore... we came down the Jersey coast at night. When the wind picked up we headed out to sea to avoid running DDW.

You can leave late afternoon, sail (motor) up the coast and then be in daylight when approaching NYC and not have to worry as much about the shipping traffic. Plus you get to see the sights! Having delivered a boat up last year it's not fun going into the harbor at night w/ lots of ship traffic.

It really is NO BIG DEAL to make a one night passage. Give you a lot more options for dealing w/ NYC in the daylight.
chef2sail and smurphny like this.
Old 05-30-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dave, NYC is on an austerity budget and the harbor now works like the lights on most small-town airfields. Click the mic on your VHF three times before making your final approach, and they turn on the big one in the lady's torch and all the other little stuff. Honest.

No really...the first time I made landfall in NY harbor at night we had no charts, no nothing (unplanned detour) but had absolutely no problem following the lights all the way up, same in the Eat River although some local knowledge helped there. PLENTY of room for a sailboat even with commercial traffic. You just have to remember, the city ferries really do ride on rails, they don't stop for anything. And the private ferries act like they have right of way over everyone including Saint Peter, but they're just bluffing.

Last edited by hellosailor; 05-31-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Why not just get out past shipping lanes and do an overnighter? If you time it right, you could be in NY Harbor early morning. Just get a lot of sleep before-hand, have a lot of coffee ready and plan on staying up for 20 hrs. The entire stretch has potential traffic any time of the day/night so it is no place to catnap.
And at least one other hand to take watch with you!
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post
I avoid the New Jersey inlets. The currents are dangerous and strong. Let me be clear. I don't go in there at all--twice was enough. I'd rather heave to offshore if I need a break.

I feel it is better to press on--done the trip many times, once double handed. It is not that bad double handed. This is what coastal cruising is all about. Time it so conditions are benign a d you will be fine. Try to catch the flood at NYC or go into Atlantic Highlands if the winds and current are against you at the Verrazano narrows.
..... or consider to enter Great Kills on Staten Island before you get to the Verazzano Bridge. The harbor is choked with moorings but you can anchor along/near the northern shore on the inside of the basin. Just watch your depth sounder carefully. Great Kills is a good 'staging area' to run through Hell gate on a favorable tide, just allow extra time to get through New York Harbor if the current is against you; closer to 'the narrows' & NYC than Sandy Hook, etc.
Old 05-31-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dave, NYC is on an austeroty budget and the harbor now works like the lights on most small-town airfields. Click the mic on your VHF three times before making your final approach, and they turn on the big one in the lady's torch and all the other little stuff. Honest.
THAT'S FUNNY! And it really wasn't awful going in to the harbor, but I can see where it could make folks a bit uncomfortable. Besides I didn't care for the boat I was helping deliver.
Old 05-31-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Used to be that every few years, some commercial traffic would ram the Ambrose Lightship (and later the Ambrose Tower) because they all put the location in their LORAN or GPS as a turning mark, and, gee, don't you know what happens when you turn ON the mark?

I wonder if the USCG has cleverly mislocated Ambrose these days, I haven't heard of a collision with it in years.
Old 05-31-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

We just did Annapolis to Newport a few weeks back. We considering anchoring in Sandy Hook, but in the end decided against the coastal route. I believe that is quite doable, but others with first-hand experience should chime in.