Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you really know and trust your boat?

I always find comparisons between inanimate objects and women to be, well, inane.

Let's consider how the world would be if women were actually like sailboats.
  • Many men and boys would try dating once and then give up after finding it too confusing.
  • Some boys would date or even be married when younger but most of these would never have another date after the age of 15.
  • Only 1 out of 1,000 men would actually have a wife.
  • Most of the husbands would only interact with their wives on the weekend and even during this time most would still spend the nights separately.
  • A significant fraction of these husbands would be unable to interact with their wives without having one or two friends come along.
  • Wives who had to live in separate locations would be more highly valued.
  • Wives requiring more expensive shoes, clothes, jewelry, and a separate place to live would be more highly valued.
  • Larger and heavier wives would be more highly valued.
  • Men would not care how difficult or dangerous their wives were as long as the marriage cost more.
  • A man in an expensive, dangerous marriage whose large and heavy wife lived in a separate location and whom he rarely interacted with and had to take friends along when he did would insist that he was a true husband and had a very good wife.
  • Others would insist that a marriage was solely for the purpose of entering dating contests.
  • Men who had inexpensive, safe, petite wives whom they interacted with daily and who lived at the same location would be looked down upon and considered merely casual husbands.
  • Others would insist that a petite wife who did not participate in dating contests had no value.
  • Women who had been previously married even multiple times would still be valued.
  • Men would openly admit that they did not know anything about dating, marriage, or women and that they needed to take classes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I'll take inanity over argumentative redundancy any day. It takes less time to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

some people trust too easily,some people don't fully trust anything,be it boat,women,best friend or the guy walking behind you in a war zone
Old 06-01-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
Restoring a trashed boat is only really worth it if you really like working on boats and you find real value in the pleasure of working on it.
Financially it is much cheaper to buy a pretty decent aged boat than a fixer upper.
Kind of like people who like to build their own furniture. It's a whole lot more expensive to build a dresser than buy one.

Last edited by benajah; 06-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i bought an old boat left to die in mymoorings.i fixed some of her ills and went sailing. yes i trusted her in the ocean. i am still repairing, but i am not dependent on remaining in port as i do these repairs--is called cruising. as long as ye dont gut the entire thing , isnt as much work initially as if ye do.
i bought a gutted boat in 1990 and thought i was going to sail her--lol at myself--was too busy working to make things go i didnt get anywhere with repairs. this time i made sure i had an interior and an engine and sound hull--and i am out and about, heading ever farther south as i fix..is goooood----define cruising as repairing your boat in exotic locations. works for me.
good luck on your venture--sounds massive. just dont give up. farm out as much as ye can--sometimes that helps ye see the tunnel's end light....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-01-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

A adult has to know there limitations and as someone who runs LARGE projects for a living the boat was a pretty big one

BUT i know how to break thinks down into wants and needs and it is the needs that cant be overlooked

Its done and i own the 29' boat that is fitted out EXACTLY how i want and i have ZERO regrets and ZERO DEBT

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-01-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

cute lil boat--bet she sails well!

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward