Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
Question Do you really know and trust your boat?

I don't know that I will when I finish my 1976 O'day 22 project and it really bothers me.

Maybe I just picked the wrong boat because I was able to get it SUPER cheap but the design just doesn't feel strong to me in any way after really going over it (and the 1973 rotten parts boat with it) and there are a lot of hidden places on the hull for rot and separation to occur that I can't chase in after without hacking the boat to bits. It doesn't help that I will always be expecting the mast to push through the deck or the chain plates to rip it off, or the keel to go from stress cracks in the gelcoat (formerly covered by bottom coating when purchased) to serious structural cracks.

I'm half tempted to gut the whole one piece interior including roof panel and find a better way to tie everything together (especially across the keel opening) and support the mast. Probably put 1/3 thicker stays than what is on it by design since both the 73 and 76 have been dismasted before (76 came with 2 piece mast). I firmly believe a sailboat should feel strong enough to suffer a violent knockdown and not come all apart at least in the hull but this just doesn't feel that way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you really know and trust your boat?

Just go buy the boat you actually want that can go now. Go sailing now, forget full refits and tank building. It kills the magic when you expose what's behind the curtain.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 05-28-2012

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

The chain plates were made stronger on the later models of O-Day 22's. Maybe you should call Rudy at D & R Marine. He should be able to answer your questions.
Old 05-28-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Just go buy the boat you actually want that can go now. Go sailing now, forget full refits and tank building. It kills the magic when you expose what's behind the curtain.
Could not agree more. If you want a project boat then do the project boat, for the amount of work you are sugesting its alot!!! to sail and fix at the same time is another story. Good luck on your chosen path and fair winds
Old 05-28-2012

I would love if I could afford a boat that is ready to sail, but in all honestly I am too poor to be allowed to own a sailboat and this is just a way I snuck in the back door. After buying both boats on trailers, taking literally everything off the rotten 73 and disposing of the hull and selling the extra trailer I have everything to put a boat together including some performance parts for about $1000 or so.

I have no interest in a boat too small to have a cabin and no use for a boat that can't be trailered and ramp launched, unfortunately that's a $3000 boat minimum (if its old and and not much more than functional) around here without finding some crazy good deal.

I really just need to not be so picky about the technical details, its not in my price range.
Old 05-28-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPPPP42 View Post
I would love if I could afford a boat that is ready to sail, but in all honestly I am too poor to be allowed to own a sailboat and this is just a way I snuck in the back door. After buying both boats on trailers, taking literally everything off the rotten 73 and disposing of the hull and selling the extra trailer I have everything to put a boat together including some performance parts for about $1000 or so.

I have no interest in a boat too small to have a cabin and no use for a boat that can't be trailered and ramp launched, unfortunately that's a $3000 boat minimum (if its old and and not much more than functional) around here without finding some crazy good deal.

I really just need to not be so picky about the technical details, its not in my price range.
Where area are you in?
Old 05-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Old boats are like ugly women. Show 'em some love and a little attention and she'll never let you down and always get you home. You'll do things and go places you never dreamed possible.

Sail the b#tch and quit worrying. you'll be surprised.
Familycruisers likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I think you are over thinking this. Stress cracks in gel coat are so common as to be ubiquitous. It doesn't indicate anything about the quality of the boat. More likely than anything it just means the gel coat was sprayed into the mold too thickly.

At the end of the day a boat is like any other machine. Think of your boat as a 1972 ford F-150, there is some rust, and a few blemishes. The scratches from your kid hitting the mail box, but as long as the motor runs, there's nothing wrong with taking her to the store and back, though I might not drive across the Mohave desert alone. Same with the boat. For day sailing and weekending near shore your fine, if you decide to sail across the Atlantic get something more reliable.
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 05-29-2012

That is a good analogy, but its really more like going cruising in a 1972 Ford Mustang with the typical rusted unibody frame rails and over stressed flexy shock towers, since the car like the boat doesn't have a frame worth mentioning and the truck with its full steel frame no matter how rusty would be like a regular boat with a strong keel and ribs to hold everything together.

At the very least I need to address a few issues before sailing.
The support in the cabin is getting shoved into the floor which is allowing the mast to shove down on the cabin top to the extent that you can feel with your feet that the fiberglass isn't attached to the core anymore from flexing and deformation, though it doesn't feel squishy like rot its making stress cracks in such a random pattern that I think I run the risk of losing triangle shaped pieces of glass if I were to stomp around with my heels. When the 76 was dismasted it apparently tore one ear off the tabernacle before snapping in half at the spreaders so I put the tabernacle off the 73 on it since it was the same type, but due to some difference now its clocked to starboard by at least 10 degrees if not more so I will have to take it back off or grind one channel on it way farther forward. Since the holes are too close for reclocking correctly I will probably change to a better wider tabernacle that allows 4 bolt through screws over a wider area. The current original one only uses one bolt and 2 screws that otherwise would interfere with the support post underneath if bolted.
Also I have a small hole in the keel to patch and though most of the rather extensive front to back stress cracking on the keel is cosmetic depth one crack is bowed out slightly but far enough to concern me.
And when the rudder was torn off the boat (thankfully the 73 had a good one) it did some pretty extensive spider cracking around the bolt holes that I would like to fix properly before remounting it so I don't have to take it off again. Those leaking holes already rotted out the transom rudder support which I already cut out but I haven't glassed in a replacement yet.

As for location I am in WI on the edge of MN, this is fairly typical for sailboats here:
minneapolis boats - all classifieds "sail" - craigslist
Most people do little boats here since the river and only a few lakes among the tons up here are suitable for launching larger ones. Anything trailerable commands a premium when its big enough to have a cabin since most people don't want stuff that sits in the water and everything has to come out after our short season. I could actually slap on bottom paint finish putting everything together and get $3500 for my boat in a heartbeat if I didn't want it anymore.

I really am overthinking it but its hard to get out of my head how much flex everything seems to have and how little the gelcoat if not the glass itself likes to be flexed and EVERYTHING seems to allow water into the various areas of core material making rot and even more flex.

EDIT: forgot to mention, another thing I need to fix that shows me how flexy the hull design is, in both boats the hard drain tube from the cockpit was snapped in half due to the cockpit moving independently from the transom, its actually been replaced and re-snapped on the 76 already so I will be either cutting out and replacing it with a super flexible plastic (a bother) or just chopping the middle out and hose clamping rubber hose onto it (more likely since it'll stop ripping itself out of the fiberglass then).

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 05-29-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2012

Trinidoc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I'm new here and also a new boat owner who got in the back door the same way. I recently bought an OOD34 that had been essentially left to rot so got it at what seemed a steal. After gutting it completely the joy of my purchase soon disappeared as the list of parts to change continues to grow - new engine, new wiring and everything electrical, new rigging, recover all cushions etc etc. Luckily only a few panels of wood were rotten. I'm hoping the sails can last me a couple of years but even those will likely need changing soon but they haven't been tested.

My point is that you are correct in that if you can't jump on your new boat and sail, the magic vanishes. Even my kids now hate it when I say lets go down by the boat.

PPPPPP42 I wish you luck and feel your pain.