bury the rails...wait a minute - Page 3 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 Old 05-30-2012
Re: bury the rails...wait a minute

Originally Posted by jillmstar View Post
Thanks everyone for helping me feel more comfortable with this. We have replaced everything on the outside, all rigging and parts that needed to be replaced. Our boat is 35 years old. The chain stays are in the fiberglass of the boat and seem to be fine. My husband has really never buried the rails like the photo. Loved the photo. Just Water splashing on the windows while I was inside. I need to get
comfortable by more sailing and learning..
The IONA 32 appears to be a "tender" boat due to it's SA/D of 15.6 and the Overall Length of 32 versus LWL of 24 and hull shape. Also for a boat this size, it is has a relatively light displacement of 8000 lb. With such a short waterline and displacement, it will lay over in wind more quickly (more tender) than other boats, but once it reaches a certain heel angle it will sail well. The IONA 32 appears to be a boat that requires a decent amount heel to sail well. My guess is that you will be closer to a heel angle of 20 deg (or more) for the magic AH! moment where the boat motion is rhythmic, smooth, and cutting through the waves and your sailing fast.

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 23 Old 05-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Capsize Formula

Boats have point of vanishing stability....going....going....

Although it is a lot of fun to go for miles with the rail in the water, and I tend to do it just for the sheer exhilaration, it is really not the most efficient way to get where you're going.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 05-30-2012 at 09:40 AM.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-30-2012

To me healing that much is just excessive wear on the components.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.