Length to beam ratio....and then throw in disp. as added consideration...pro/cons? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccriders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Length to beam ratio....and then throw in disp. as added consideration...pro/cons?

Now that hurricane season is approaching and the economy is still treading water...there may be some of us who have our boats moored or anchored instead of in marinas...this may be frowned on by some..but personally..I am not a big fan of marinas...anyways...the point of this thread is....
What types of boats tend to ride out storms better at anchor/mooring...in terms of length/beam ratio and other factors such as displacement? I really don't want to talk about kinds of anchoring methods,etc...just want to discuss the boats themselves...I really dont even want to talk about riding sails either....just hull shapes themselves.. and weights of the hulls...Which are the best kind for riding out a blow at a mooring/anchor? Penny for your thoughts...

Last edited by souljour2000; 05-29-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Length to beam ratio....and then throw in disp. as added consideration...pro/cons

Intuitively, long, skinny and deep with some heft to it would seem to be the answer. But I can't even get an answer to the question; "Should the bow be facing outward or inward in a slip when the storm comes?" You would think the insurance companies could answer your question and publish some best practices for hurricane survival.
John
souljour2000 likes this.
Old 05-29-2012

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Re: Length to beam ratio....and then throw in disp. as added consideration...pro/cons

BB-63
USS Missouri
Length: 887 feet (270 m)
Weight: 40,820 tons

no riding sail needed!
Old 05-29-2012

Yeah..imagine the anchors on that baby...half the size of your house probably...and twice the weight!
Old 05-29-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Actually, I would take my 30' sailboat vs the missouri! In hurracanes and higher winds, you have longer swells, longer boats will pitch pole in those conditions, vs a smaller boat will be a cork. At the end of the day, a boat that is long enough to be comfortable, but short enough to not pitchpole or equal due to equal wave/boat length.

Beam....not sure how to make this work. Disp,,,,,, not sure on that one either. Both factors have plus and minus's to them.

Marty
Old 05-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Actually, I would take my 30' sailboat vs the missouri! In hurracanes and higher winds, you have longer swells, longer boats will pitch pole in those conditions, vs a smaller boat will be a cork. At the end of the day, a boat that is long enough to be comfortable, but short enough to not pitchpole or equal due to equal wave/boat length.

Beam....not sure how to make this work. Disp,,,,,, not sure on that one either. Both factors have plus and minus's to them.

Marty
It would take one hell of a wave to pitchpole an 887' ship!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-02-2012

I'd be on the Missouri...but she'd be out in 100 fathoms or more on anchor with chain links thicker than a water main or powering at a fast idle into the wind...with thousand of gallons available to burn... or more ...pushing diesel turbines and huge "'roof of a 3br/2ba house-sized" twin rudders that are being blown onto by those massive props... keepin you into the wind...30 foot waves breaking over the bow and the Captain in his cabin taking messages from the helm while drinking a not-so-secret martini.....but I hear what your sayin....
You hear alot about say...post-1880 circa Commodore Dewey/Great White Fleet ships...on into the modern going down.....just not too many due to weather and storms...mostly lead at terminal velocity is the issue...least I haven't...and the Ecuadorean navy doesn't count...Now if I am wrong about this...I will gladly take my medicine....All that being said..I know what Blt2ski is talking about..there is alot to be said for the "bobber" effect....seriosuly is....just rather be the Captain of the Missouri and that whole martini thing...Sven Yrvind is a genius and will probably make it as a "bobber" going 'through the roaring 40's....i'd just rather do it in the Missouri...

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.