Origami Paddler - a folding paddle board that can fit in a cockpit locker - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Origami Paddler - a folding paddle board that can fit in a cockpit locker

I don't really 'get' paddleboards, either. But then again I haven't tried it. Perhaps they are good exercise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Semantics. a sit on top kayak is a kayak. A sit in kayak, with a skirt is a type of kayak, If you sit on an old windsurfer board and propell your self with a kayak paddle, you are essetially kayaking. Its more of a refference to paddle style than hull design. If you are sailing a canoe, you are sailing. I've white water kayked ( sit in plug with skirt) sea kayaked ( sit in with skirt) I've sailed a 25 foot dug out canoe with an out rigger and a kayak paddle from Rio Dulce to central Belize. I was sailing, canoeing and kayaking depending on the conditions. Point being, a sit on top style board or kayak is a valuable asset to the self sufficiant single handler, The sit in kayak can swamp and isn't a good work platform because your trapped in the sitting postion. I'm not guessing or thinking maybe...... I know.
Old 05-31-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I don't say there are no legitimate times or places for a sityak--just that they should never be called kayaks. You know, like a Yugo should never be called a grand touring car, much less a sports car.

Take a log, split it in two. Bravo, you've got two sityaks now. Sometimes that's all you need. As Shakespeare said, "Rose fertilizer by any other name is still manure."

Defining a kayak as anything you move while using a kayak paddle is at best circular logic. Look at where the word comes from, and at what types of craft it was used to describe. Sityaks weren't on the list. "Hey look, Joe's paddling home on top of a frozen walrus, he musta lost his kayak again!" It's only called a "sityak" after you've stripped off all the edible parts. :-)
Capt.aaron likes this.

Last edited by hellosailor; 05-31-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Have never tried a sit-atop kayak but they do look handy. Can they be rolled like a regular kayak? How about dry storage for groceries and stuff picked up ashore? The sit-in kayak is always a difficult balancing act to get in and out of at anchor wheras a sit-atop might be better from that aspect.

Last edited by smurphny; 05-31-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

I love, love my "sit-yak" which I propell with a Kayak paddle. Some have little compartments for storage but you still need a dry bag. They don't roll but you can use them as swim platform easily, they are very stable, you can get on and off them easilly from the water, they are great for access to your hull. My old windsurfer board is great for a work platform, doin dirty work. I pile anchor chain on it, things i wouldn't want to F up my nice dingy doing. My 2 man " sit-yak"( impropperly labled and sold to may as a Kayak) I use to transport a lot of stuff by putting the cargo on the front seat and paddle from the back. Couldn't immagine life without it. And the ability to stand gives you a good vantage for looking into the water for stuff.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-31-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

All though now I'm thinking about gett'n me one of those frozen walrus things Hellosailor was talking about. How long will they stay frozen down here in the sub-tropics? don't they stink a litttle?