Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012

joshw5144 is on a distinguished road
PHRF Hunter 340

Hello All,
I was wondering if someone could give me some sail measurements that I need to get a PHRF rating. I live 1000kms from my boat so thatís why I cant do them myself right now. Next time I head out I was hoping to enter a local race but need a rating before I can do that. Anyways the measurements that I need for my 2002 Hunter 340 (with all factory sails btw) are as follows:

Headsail: LP, and LLJ
Main: HB, MGU, and MGM

I am by no means a racer, just out for fun, and don't care if I end up with a worse rating then I should so anything close would work. Any help would be much appreciated and even any ideas on how to get that info short of going and measuring the sails myself would be of help. And as an aside can anybody give me a rating for that boat that theyíve had in the past? Thanks again.

Josh
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Re: PHRF Hunter 340

Call/Contact the PHRF Group in the area of your boat. Tell them you want to race and tell them you have a Hunter 340 and year and they should be able to give a PHRF rating without all the sail measurements. They may ask questions like do you plan to use a spinnaker, have folding prop, etc., to fine tune the rating, but it should be close enough for a first race.

DrB
Old 05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Call/Contact the PHRF Group in the area of your boat. Tell them you want to race and tell them you have a Hunter 340 and year and they should be able to give a PHRF rating without all the sail measurements. They may ask questions like do you plan to use a spinnaker, have folding prop, etc., to fine tune the rating, but it should be close enough for a first race.

DrB
I tried that, and they quickly said to me that I needed to have ALL measurements. Then hung up. Thanks though.
Old 05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshw5144 View Post
I tried that, and they quickly said to me that I needed to have ALL measurements. Then hung up. Thanks though.
Is this link helpful?

HUNTER 340 Sailboat SailPlan Data and Sail Quoting System

DrB
Old 05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Yeah! With those measurements I should be able to figure it out. Thats awesome. Now I just have to dust off a calculator and see what I can do. Thanks so much.

Josh
Old 05-30-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

I believe that in order to get an official PHRF certificate the sails need actual measurement (with a tape measure) by a certified measurer. However, you ought to be able to get a rating with the assumption that your sails are "standard" that would suffice for club racing.
In my area (Lake Erie PHRF) they have a listing of boats with their ratings on their website. You may be able to find something similar. PHRF ratings in different areas can vary considerably so don't rely on just any rating you find.
Old 05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
I believe that in order to get an official PHRF certificate the sails need actual measurement (with a tape measure) by a certified measurer. However, you ought to be able to get a rating with the assumption that your sails are "standard" that would suffice for club racing.
In my area (Lake Erie PHRF) they have a listing of boats with their ratings on their website. You may be able to find something similar. PHRF ratings in different areas can vary considerably so don't rely on just any rating you find.
Good to know. I did the math and submited an application. I have to call them to give my credit card info anyways so I'll let them know where I came up with the numbers and see if it matters. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post

Yes that s what I was trying to say in my first post. I thought that the local PHRF guys work off a general boat data database for the initial score and then with a few questions, give you a more exact score based on the region. I thought a lot of it could be handled over the phone or a via few faxed/email forms.

Having raced on 0ne Design and PHRF boats, IMHO PHRF racing is such a skewed flawed system. I raced on a PHRF boat for summer series once and the skipper couldn't make the boat slow. We made so many tactical mistakes over the series and we still always managed to get 5th or better each race and most times were 1 or 2. Other boats in the fleet had much more competent crews and skippers and finished worse than us because their assigned PHRF rating was unfavorable for their boat.

DrB
Old 05-30-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

No handicap system is perfect. However, at our club where we have regularly 15-18 boats per race, with no 2 alike, it's surprising how close the boats finish after adjustment, which makes me more confident in the system. Also, PHRF ratings are meant to be adjusted occasionally based on historical results.
Old 05-30-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

All in all, with a handful of exceptions, phrf has been around a long time because it's worked better than most. Most rating arguments seem to come up when someone busts the piggy bank, buys some new sails, and is going from mid to top of the fleet. Other usual suspects are rating sport boat vs. displacement boats, one-offs, and anything with water ballast.