Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: State Sen. Kehoe drops anti fouling paint bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
So you think that left to its own devices, industry will protect the environment? Bwahahahahaha!
Happens all the time when an industry figures out that cannibalizing the industries resources isn't a good idea for that specific industry. (look at hunting, farming) It sounds like your trying to do just that by promoting a bottom paint that is copper free. More power to you, I'm guessing no government official is making you do that.

Are gov't regulations needed in some cases? Yes, but regulating just to gain control over an issue is unnecessary. California loves to do that which is why many business are leaving this once great state.

However, you fail to address the main point in my post, other then posting a picture. The Government has stepped in to "regulate" the painting of boat hulls but grants exceptions to the main polluters. The contaminants from pleasure boats is miniscule when compared to those coming from the larger ships and other sources (brake dust). Passing a law to control a very small part of a larger issue isn't about helping the environment or anything else. It's about political control or advancement of someone's career or agenda. (or maybe a cousin has a new paint he wants a market for).

So, again, common sense is winning out here.

This thread is taking a turn away from sailing so I'll bow out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
So you think that left to its own devices, industry will protect the environment? Bwahahahahaha!
I already replied to the free market v govt above.

I'm curious, are you inherently in favor of banning copper because you believe it to be bad for the environment, or are you in favor of banning copper because you fear the alternative will be banning your means of making a living? I think you've said its more the later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-08-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I already replied to the free market v govt above.

I'm curious, are you inherently in favor of banning copper because you believe it to be bad for the environment, or are you in favor of banning copper because you fear the alternative will be banning your means of making a living? I think you've said its more the later.
Don't get me wrong-I (and I think I can speak for all hull cleaners) love copper-based anti fouling paints. They work well and make our jobs easier. It's a great anti fouling technology. The reason I and the California Professional Divers Association advocate for non-copper paints and legislation that woul reduce or eliminate copper in anti fouling paints is because the USEPA has mandated the state of California bring the hundreds of water bodies currently impaired for copper into compliance with federal water quality criteria. In-water hull cleaning activities have been identified as a source of this copper. So yes, our main motivation is self-preservation. But it is also true that none of us would be aware that the copper from anti fouling paints is damaging the environment if it weren't for government agencies keeping an eye on this sort of thing. And clean water and a healthy marine environment is something we as boaters should all be concerned about.
Old 06-08-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Not so much banning his livelihood as it would be further regulation imposed on him, so it really a matter of who's pocket this non fix solution will come out of.

Personally I think we should wait until a) they know the source(s) and b) have a reasonable, cost effective, reliable and across the board solution
Old 06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Personally I think we should wait until a) they know the source(s) and b) have a reasonable, cost effective, reliable and across the board solution
In a perfect world we could do that. Unfortunately, in the real world there may never be an equivalent non-copper solution and the clock is already ticking for the state to solve the copper issue. Waiting until they invent a product that satisfies your unrealistic desires is not likely to happen. And what are you gonna do when your hull cleaner is regulated out of business (which is much closer to happening in San Diego than anywhere else in the country)? Go to the yard every month and pay them to haul your boat and pressure wash it? Good luck getting that done for a buck and a quarter a foot.
Old 06-08-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

PoopdeckPappy --- doing what your propose would alleviate the need to legislate and CONTROL ... better for the government to just apply 'stark authoritarianism' and whether or not the scientific basis or assumptions are correct.
Its just plain cheaper and faster for 'feel good stuff' and such wins more votes than searching for 'scientific truth'.
And, of course the 'government' NEVER gives a SHIp about what the cost of legislation/rule making to the citizens amounts to.

The 'cost of diminishing returns' is certainly not in the 'government' lexicon. As soon as one intellectual hypocrite legislator applies the word 'children' to bottom paint, the 'game will be over'.
Old 06-08-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Okay, let's not get into a spewing contest.

The specific private sector that creates the problem is obviously not going to be very good at correcting it. Just like the government isn't very good at correcting the problems it creates and it perhaps more adept at blaming others.

However, I do agree that government correcting a problem that the citizens want fixed is extraordinarily inefficient.
Would you classify the EPA as ineffective? Do you know how much they have cleaned up waters and bays? The concentration of most heavy metals in California estuaries is down about 400 times since the clean water act. It really has totally transformed most of our lakes, rivers, and estuaries. SF Bay has gone from being technically dead, to the return of the Harbour Porpoise last year.

I'm quite happy to see this bill gone but to say that government regulation is ineffective at reducing pollution is just ridiculous. It's the only effective way.
Old 06-08-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms:882366
And what are you gonna do when your hull cleaner is regulated out of business (which is much closer to happening in San Diego than anywhere else in the country)? .
San Diego and the Shelter Island basin in particular has, according to the last samples, already exceeded the copper reduction threshold set by the state and it had little to do with non copper paints, there just hasn't been that many rec boaters jumping on it.

Now most all state gov boats have changed over but again, it was at our cost, not theirs

So I'm not ( as of yet ) willing to get on the same bandwagon as you
Old 06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
San Diego and the Shelter Island basin in particular has, according to the last samples, already exceeded the copper reduction threshold set by the state and it had little to do with non copper paints, there just hasn't been that many rec boaters jumping on it.
Yeah, I read that article in The Log too. The report it quoted was essentially a thesis project done by a college biology major, using very questionable data gathering criteria. I know, because I was in the room when she presented it to the Marina Interagency Coordinating Committee of the Cslifornia Coastal Commission in Sacramento. You'll notice that the governing state agency, the Regionsl Water Quality Control Board was conspicuously absent in commenting in the article. Maybe because they didn't sign off on the findings? The report is pretty much worthless, IMHO. In any event, the TMDL for SIYB calls for a 70% reduction in copper loading and we ain't nowhere near that yet.
Old 06-08-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i want mil spec paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.