Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: State Sen. Kehoe drops anti fouling paint bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Would you classify the EPA as ineffective? Do you know how much they have cleaned up waters and bays? The concentration of most heavy metals in California estuaries is down about 400 times since the clean water act. It really has totally transformed most of our lakes, rivers, and estuaries. SF Bay has gone from being technically dead, to the return of the Harbour Porpoise last year.

I'm quite happy to see this bill gone but to say that government regulation is ineffective at reducing pollution is just ridiculous. It's the only effective way.
I wrote inefficient, not ineffective. Read it again. I stand by it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012
O'Day 272 - "Pana-Sea-A"

Mjfossler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Boats having their anti fouling paint removed in a boatyard would hardly result in an "environmental disaster", regardless of numbers. How 'bout we keep the argument rational, hmmm?

Again, the idea of a replacement for copper-based anti fouling paints is not new and the manufacturers have been working on this for years. It seems unlikely that they are suddenly going to emerge with a magic bullet that does the same job at the same price as copper paint.
How about you use your brain? Fifty boats removing years of copper paint at the same time. If even 10% escapes their shop vac collector what do you have? A huge load of Cu in the water all at once, which WOULD be a problem.
Old 06-08-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjfossler View Post
How about you use your brain? Fifty boats removing years of copper paint at the same time. If even 10% escapes their shop vac collector what do you have? A huge load of Cu in the water all at once, which WOULD be a problem.
Hey Einstein, there are probably several times that that many boats in the yards here every day of the week. Lots of paint stripping going on. No environmental disasters so far.
Old 06-09-2012

Allen-deckard is on a distinguished road
Dont live there anymore so i dont have a horse in the race but

If they passed a ban on it what about boats comming from other areas?

Seems from reading it would have to be removed from commercial ships as well for any ban to mean anything. Again what about transient ships? Would they be denied entry?

Just currious

Oh and the lead paint thing? Yah they still havent created a paint that lasts a tenth of what a good exterior lead based paint did. What can i say keep your kids fro chewing on your sidding and it isnt an issue :-)
Old 06-09-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I have read the various findings some of which even seem to be well done

The one thing i have been unable to find is ANY of them putting a number on copper from boats

This is important IMHP as they have 56% of here and 37 % from there which does in fact not leave much % for boats and i kind of fail to see how bottom paint will achieve the goal

And IMHP one of the much BIGGER and real issues is the amount of hormones flowing in the basins from drugs humans ingest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-09-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

try what about navy and merchant ships--ye think they could possibly cause a lot more imact than recreational vessels??? try doing something about that one. until then i want mil spec paint.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen-deckard View Post
If they passed a ban on it what about boats comming from other areas?
Transient vessels not habitually moored in California for more than 6 months would be exempt.
Old 06-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The one thing i have been unable to find is ANY of them putting a number on copper from boats
Do the math:

A gallon of paint has (very conservatively) 14 pounds of copper
An average of 2 gallons is used to paint a boat
A boat is painted on average every 2 years
San Francisco Bay = 20,000 boats in slips

If every ounce of that copper were leached and scrubbed into the Bay, we're talking about 280,000 pounds of cuprous oxide evey 2 years. But lets be conservative and say that only 70% of the copper comes out of the paint. That's almost 100,000 pounds of copper per year being deposited directly into the marinas.
Old 06-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
try what about navy and merchant ships--ye think they could possibly cause a lot more imact than recreational vessels??? try doing something about that one.
In San Diego Bay there are 8000 recreational vessels berthed. I will guarantee that the total wetted, painted surface of those vessels is far greater than that of commercial and naval vessels there. Plus, the recreational vessels spend the vast majority of their lives sitting in their slips, leaching copper into the water. This is not true of commercial and naval vessels. Further, commercial vessels are already regulated for copper discharges under the Vessel General Permit. Navy ships are exempt altogether. Arguing that until those two classifications of vessels come under the same regulations as recreational vessels, nothing should be done is an exercise in futility.
Old 06-09-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Fast

If you can do the math in your head that fast and i cant really disagree with it

Why do you suppose the study REFUSES to compare the boat source numbers with the land source numbers ?

I DEAL with the DEC everyday

The latest non-sense is these 1000 kilo bins are on trucks all over the USA and this year its suddenly and issue to keep them in are LEGAL Olympic pool size containment area

We do not even use ANY priority pollutants as there all Food or Pharmaceutic stuff and they want every bin registered and a fee paid while its inside the building BUT ITS FINE if there on and open truck driving around

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat