Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012

FlyingJunior is on a distinguished road
knot for mainsail halyard

Hi there - be gentle with me, I'm new! Having crewed on various keelboats for a while, I recently bought a small dinghy sailboat, (FJ, Flying Junior). Anyway, the main halyard does not have a shackle for the head, and it looks like a bowline is the traditional knot used here, but I have issues - the knot hits the block at the masthead, and leaves the head about 4-5 inches from being fully raised, I guess because of the nature of this knot. I've tested using a round turn and two hitches, which seems to work just great and is easy to tie. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: knot for mainsail halyard

Here you go:

Low profile main halyard knot

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-31-2012

Gary3675 is on a distinguished road

There is another way....Thistle sailors are putting a ball on the end of the haylard...where the shackle would be.
Look at this site.....this explains it.....very simple and a cheap way to attach your main haylard. I have used this and works great.

attaching ropes to grommets
Old 05-31-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

A halyard knot- really similar to a clinch knot without the extra wraps. Used one an entire season with Sta-Set-wire with no problem. There really is no reason I can see why a clinch knot would not work even better although I've never heard anyone mention using one as a halyard attachment. Has a number of different names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch

Can't hurt to sew the end back with #92 thread.
jjablonowski likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 05-31-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2012

Thanks Gary - where to find the stopper ball, and wouldn't a stopper knot do the same thing?
Old 06-01-2012

Gary3675 is on a distinguished road

You can find the stopper ball at any marine store...West marine has them. They are the one wth the hole in the middle. Push the line through .... tie a knot and your done. I know this works great for the main haylard.....I have never used a stopper knot
Old 06-01-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Related question for bigger boats: Do you think it will be more likely that I would loose th halyard up the mast without the weight of a shackle? (obviously I would try not to let go, but things happen)
Old 06-01-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

We just put a stopper knot at the end of the halyard, then push a bite of the line through the grommet (assuming the grommet is large enough for your line diameter) flip the knot through the loop, pull tight and voila! You will easily be able to hoist all the way to the masthead crane.

Ray
Old 06-01-2012

thanks Irunbird - yes, that's exactly what Gary is doing with the ball, instead of your stopper knot. Sounds good.

Thanks for all the suggestions, here's a thought....since I'm just starting out, I'm thinking perhaps it's better to stay with tying knots on my boat instead of using shackles and stopper balls, etc. I think a sailor has to learn and use these knots regularly, and would worry that (for me) the use of other devices in place of knots might have me forget how to do them, when/if needed down the road. Plus, at least at this point, I kinda enjoy working with knots. I want to practice all elements of sailing, which includes knot tying. Thoughts on this?
Old 06-01-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

If you are worried about remembering how to tie knots then you need to buy a 6' piece of line and tie knots while watching TV. One of the things that is important on a sailboat is that there typically is a right way to do things, not doing it right can lead to a tragedy of errors that leads to broken bits.

Halyard knots are fine, but they are really oly used for, well halyards. The knot you really need to know, blind folded, wet, miserable, in the rain, cold, blindfolded, and drunk is how to tie a bowline. Everything else comes with time. But a bowline is the most knot used, and you aren't a sailor until you can tie one in any conditions.

That being said if you line rope work, there are soft shackles (similar to metal bits it made from line), splicing, and decorative stuff that all needs to be done onboard. You just have to spend the time to learn how. Heck with modern line, even standing rigging and lifelines are switching to line, thus increasing the work you can do yourself.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.