Canadian resident registering boat in US. Duty question - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012

Siroco is on a distinguished road
Re: Canadian resident registering boat in US. Duty question

I am canadian and sail lake Champlain in NY/VT, owning a canadian registered boat.

I am no expert in the matter but many canadian boaters around us own US registered boats and bring them to the canadian side every winter and are knowned as "inbound" boats. The only draw back is that they have to be back in US water by a certain date (July?) and need to apply for longer stays to perform repairs.

Maybe this works for boats entering and leaving canadian waters through the same custom? May be the OP can check with Transport Canada?

I wonder how long (or short) is the sailing season in Alaska...

Good luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If the boat will be moored in Alaska and the OP is a US citizen who has an address in Alaska and the boat will only be used in Alaska, why is the OP not registering the boat using the Alaska address therefore doing everything all nice and legal-like and no issues with taxation?
This will not work. Because he lives in Canada he has to import the boat to transit BC. The boat will never see Canadian waters again. If he bought the boat in Washington and kept it there this would not be an issue. It's only because he wants to relocate the boat and has to transit through Canada to do so and he is a Canadian resident, that it becomes a problem.
I believe we should pay taxes that are due, but this import tax is unjustified. He does not want to import the boat. As a solution, before taking ownership, YKM can have anyone other than a Canadian take the boat through Canadian waters. He can even accompany the "rental" captain. That makes no sense
Old 06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
BL

Yes, the OP would be best off to pay register the boat in Canada, pay the Canadian taxes, and enjoy the inside passage.
In the OP registering the boat in Canada would present another set of problems and he would have to then re-register the boat in Alaska. This is not about enjoying the inside passage but about relocating a boat which unfortunately for this purchaser is through Canada where being a resident is a disadvantage.
Old 06-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Tax evasion is criminal, but applies if you actually owe the taxes and lie about not owing them.

Tax avoidance is not criminal and applies when you follow the rules and don't owe them.

The OP is clearly asking about tax avoidance. When you ask the guy with his hand out for advice on how to legally not pay him, you wonder if there might be a better idea out there when he says you owe him no matter what. That's legit.

Its become a recent revelation to me that there are so many Canadians that use the US to legally avoid their own taxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-02-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
ykm, so try the "having work done" route. Another way is to hire a US captain, actually any nationality but Canadian and he doesn't have to be a captain, to deliver the boat and don't take ownership until it's delivered to Alaska.
Canada Customs has some strange rules. Another frustrating rule is that, as a Canadian, you cannot rent a car in the US and drive it into Canada. In fact you cannot drive someone elses car.
I am Canadian and have many times rented a car in the US and driven back into Canada with it. Rental companies I have dealt with include a permission letter with the rental contract.

I have also delivered Canadian boats into US waters with the sales contract in my pocket (not a broker, just a messenger), then handed the boat over to the American buyers so they do not have to pay sales taxes here as technically with the hand over of the vessel that completes the sale.
Old 06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siroco View Post
I am canadian and sail lake Champlain in NY/VT, owning a canadian registered boat.

I am no expert in the matter but many canadian boaters around us own US registered boats and bring them to the canadian side every winter and are knowned as "inbound" boats. The only draw back is that they have to be back in US water by a certain date (July?) and need to apply for longer stays to perform repairs.

Maybe this works for boats entering and leaving canadian waters through the same custom? May be the OP can check with Transport Canada?

I wonder how long (or short) is the sailing season in Alaska...

Good luck
My understanding is that these US registered boats get a temporary work permit to bring the boat into Canada. At the expiration of the permit they must return the boat to the US. I have suggested this solution to the OP.
These permits are issued by CCBA (Canada Customs)
Old 06-02-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

It was the insulting "duh" that set me off.
And the persistence in wanting to hear the answer they want to hear even though,
They have already talked to customs, they already know what forms they need, they have already gotten their territorial rep involved.
The OP has already gotten the answer- the OP just didn't like it.

Why do buyers NOT do this homework BEFORE they buy the boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
.....Why do buyers NOT do this homework BEFORE they buy the boat?
Because trade is instinctive. Taxes are man made.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-02-2012

ykmaggie is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for all the great responses!

It looks like we have 2 options, one is to try and get the temporary permit. My husband talked to customs, they told him it is called form E99, and is a legitimate way for Canadians to transit their US registered boat through Canadian waters.

We can't register the boat in Canada, it has to be registered in Alaska, because otherwise we would have to move it out of US waters every 90 days. Not an option. It would take us a month to sail to Prince Rupert and back.

The other option is to hire a US captain as you say, and I have one in mind that would do the trip with us

I did hear back from the MP initially, just to say he would get back to me. I emailed him because I was getting conflicting information when I called customs. The issue seems to be somewhat discretionary, and this is a fairly unique situation. Now that seems to be sorted out hopefully but we will never know until we get there with the boat. We have the form printed out

To answer the question about the sailing season here, yeah it is short - April - August. But there's no place in the world I'd rather be than Southeast Alaska on a nice summer day
Old 06-02-2012

safira is on a distinguished road

You may want to research out the "rights to passage" this would bypass all the customs hoo haa if you claimed it .... it has to do with maritime law