Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Normal cost to step a deck stepped mast?

I asked at the office of the marina I've got my slip at, and was told it would be 200$ to step the mast, and the per day rate equals 900$/month to leave the mast up on shore
Both prices are plus tax of course.
I'm not even sure if that was 200$ off and 200$ on, or 200$ all in come to think of it.

Is this normal? I need to take my mast down to replace the mast support beam, and repair the deck, but at that price it's more than 50% the cost of sticking the whole boat on shore, where I could take care of some other issues at the same time.

What is the typical weight of an Alberg 30 mast? At that price I'm seriously considering trying to find an alternative place to stash it200$+900$/month is a bit painful! I could get together enough people to carry it somewhere else if it's not too heavy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Normal cost to step a deck stepped mast?

Our marina charges $7 per foot of the mast to unstep, then they do charge it again to step it. I'm estimating that to be more than they quoted you. In addition, you pay by the hour to deal with any electronic wiring, but that may be minor and they are happy if you do it yourself. However, when you restep the mast, you will need the rigging tuned and that is also extra, unless you can do it yourself.

Your mast must be 40ish feet. I don't think you are going to carry it anywhere and it is probably too long to just haul down the road without a permit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-02-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

$150-200 out and $150-200 back in, plus some storage and tax sounds about right.
I just had my mast out and back in and the bill came to a little over $800.
If you can line up a couple of people who need a crane you can divide the cost amongst yourselves rather than footing the whole bill alone.
Old 06-02-2012

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road

Here is another option. sail the boat to my marina we have a gin pole you can use for $25 to take the mast down yourself & storage of the mast is $10 for six months and you can dock your boat here for the summer for about $1100 . I don't understand why so many east coast marinas charge so much for something so simple (or $800 to let a mast sit on a rack)
Another option to cut cost is to build some racks to store the mast on the deck of your boat
Old 06-02-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Shop around. See if you can find a DIY place. Raising the mast is not rocket science. That is WAY too much. These kinds of places will charge whatever people are stupid enough to pay. As the old saying goes, "There is an ass for every seat." Sounds like wherever you are needs some competition. The DIY place where I raise/lower charges $50.00 each way. If I had to pay $200, would definitely set up a hinged step and self-raiser which, by the way, can be set up on your A30 for probably less than one raising/lowering at $200 each way. Just PM me for info. on doing it yourself. Your A30 is very similar to my A35.
rikhall likes this.
Old 06-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdream View Post
.....I don't understand why so many east coast marinas charge so much for something so simple.....
Not that I make a habit of defending marina costs, but ocean front property in New England is probably a half million an acre and the environmental remediation costs seem limitless. When I get my bill, I would like to think the marina owner is the richest dude in town, but often not the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-02-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I paid about 1300 dollars to

1. have the mast taken down and un-riged and stored for the winter
2. lift boat wash bottom and place on boat movers trailer so it can go home
3. relaunch boat from movers truck in the spring and re-install mast

Given the fact that they will do the work correctly WHEN i need it done i think it is a GOOD deal

It is a PITA to work on the boat over the winter if i store the mast on-deck

And i pay the boat mover 800 round trip which is also a GREAT deal as is equipment is freaking expensive and his high level of skill is rare

IF the last 3 places CLOSE i am pretty sure the condos will Not be able to do the work

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 06-02-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

That definitely sounds like a lot to me for a 30 ft boat, but I guess it all depends on certain logistics- where and for how long you plan to work on the boat, and what other options you have for unstepping the mast. We regularly unstep masts on J24's using gin poles, but I wouldn't do that on an Alberg 30 (rough guess is 150-200 lbs?). Using a hoist is a much safer option, and you can do it with 2 or 3 people, as long as you know what you're doing and rig the setup properly. Do you belong to a club with a hoist or have a friend who does? If you don't need to haul the boat out of the water for doing some of your chores, then I'd be looking for a hoist somewhere, drop the mast, motor back to your slip and start working...

Last edited by Irunbird; 06-02-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Smurphy's Quote; Shop around. See if you can find a DIY place. Raising the mast is not rocket science. That is WAY too much. These kinds of places will charge whatever people are stupid enough to pay. As the old saying goes, "There is an ass for every seat." Sounds like wherever you are needs some competition. The DIY place where I raise/lower charges $50.00 each way. If I had to pay $200, would definitely set up a hinged step and self-raiser which, by the way, can be set up on your A30 for probably less than one raising/lowering at $200 each way. Just PM me for info. on doing it yourself. Your A30 is very similar to my A35.

Stupid ass or not, that's the price. My keel stepped mast probably weighs 250-300 lbs. so there is no other option, you need a crane to pull my mast. Go hire a crane by yourself and see what that costs. It will be $500 out and $500 back in, minimun, plus storage, plus tax.
Sure, if there was a mast tower somewhere nearby and some way to get the mast from the tower to dry land for storage then great, but there is not, so you pay.
Oh, by the way ocean front property on southern Vancouver Island is about a million dollars for a city lot. The price of realestate directly effects everything in our marinas as well as the moorage rates. We have marinas in our area that charge as much for moorage in Sidney B.C. as they do in downtown Seattle Wa. and downtown Vancouver B.C..
Boats are expensive, get used to it.
Old 06-02-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Boating is much more expensive in some places than in others. In some places, the cost of boating has become more than people with average means can afford. It was not always so. The ridiculous increase in waterfront real estate values and the accompanying taxes has made it almost impossible for marinas to survive in some places unless supported by government. Many go out of business but that shouldn't cause them to charge exorbitant fees. If you take LI as an example, where I originally started boating, back 40 years ago almost anyone could afford to own a boat. This is no longer true down there. The prices for dockage, service, etc. have absolutely gone through the roof.

Yes, a 50' keel stepped mast can easily be raised and lowered where I go for $50. The heavy duty gin pole has a nice hand control you can stick in your pocket and the sheave is 45' off the water. It's actually one of the best rigs I've seen anywhere. I have raised my mast many times there without assistance. Many people do it and the place probably raises more masts than 10 of the closest marinas. It's an example of capitalism at work. If the price is right, you get the business.

I surely do not mean to offend but I believe it is a duty as a consumer of anything to shop around to find the best price. Price gouging is unconscionable. Running my own businesses over the years I have found that you can pay a lot or a little for exactly the same thing.

Last edited by smurphny; 06-02-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: error