Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
sail question!

I am looking at a sail that I found used the luff is the same, leach and the foot are about 8 inches shorter. Would that make a huge difference? I have a 135 on it now I would imagine that would make this closer to a 130? I have found that it seems when tacking that the sale can get the mast and spreaders more than I would like,this would help that situation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Measure the luff perpendicular, and you'll know exactly what percent it is.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: sail question!

I don't think that going down to a 130 from a 135, if you're right, is going to get into the mast or spreaders any less.

Used sails are a real crap shoot. It isn't just the outer dimensions, but how they are sewn, where the draft really wants to be, the weight of the material, etc, etc. Some have great luck, others feel they totally wasted their money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-03-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

A shorter LP sail will be easier to tack than a longer one. Whether this one is shorter in LP is another story. It may be 130% of the foretriangle vs your current one being 135% of fortriangle.

The issue with using a % jib size. is some only think of the lp, others will look at it from % of fortriangle. I have a tendency to use the latter, as that is how the local PHRF does the sail measuring. LP does not always have a true way of showing this. In my area, a 150LP is on par with a 153% fortriangle or there abouts any how. As the luff is larger than the mast height, so the LP of the luff needs to be smaller in order to get to the max 155 or 153 we get before going into deducts in ratings.

With this all in mind. YES, a smaller LP will be easier to tack than a longer one. Especially if you have a mini forestay as I do. My 155 is a PITA, where as a 135'ish sail and smaller is easy.

Marty
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-03-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Compared to the foresail you showed us a few months ago, this can be a good choice. Don't pay more than $125.

Doesn't Minney's have used S30 jibs in stock ?
Old 06-03-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Don't get too fixated on the numbers. It doesn't really matter what "percentage" it is. What matters, is how the sail fits the boat, and how it looks compared to your other sail. As long as the clew height works with your fairlead location, and the sail has an improved shape compared to your old one, go with it!

As for the sail "getting the spreaders and mast", that is just a fact of life with overlapping headsails. Thats why many sails have "spreader patches" to reinforce the sail where it hits the spreaders. (although that is more common on plastic sails.) If you have a problem with the sail getting caught on the rigging or the mast when tacking, there are a couple of things you can do to reduce the problem. First, when you tie your genny sheets on, keep your bowlines tight to the clue; big loops will foul much easier on the mast and shrouds. Second, when you tack, make sure that the old sheet is clear to run free, and delay releasing the sheet until after you steer through the eye of the wind, and the sail starts to backwind on the new tack. This will do 2 things; it will help "blow" the sail through the foretriangle quickly, and it will also help blow your bow down onto the new tack.

Why don't you take both sails out and test them, take photos and post them here so we can compare the differences.
Old 06-03-2012

sail question!

Thx guys. I bought it. 600. It's on the boat. I have 5 days to return it if I don't like it. I plan on taking it to north loft and have them look at it. It's a north sail. Dacron. 6.5 oz. it sails pretty good. There are some pluses and minuses. I'll give a full report when I get home. Along with pics and links to a video clip. All in all not bad.

Old 06-03-2012

OK...so here is my full report with pics...The sail was just under 600 out the door. Its a Nort Sail, 7.5 oz Dacron sail. Its been cut down from a bigger sail, but from what it looks like maybe 8 inches air so...not a huge amount. The material is in VERY good shape, not patches, no rips. Its got what looks like a brand new UV cover on the leach and foot. Its nearly an exact duplicate of the size of sail on the boat. Its luff is 2 inches shorter. 36' 10" vs 37' even on the old sail...the leach and foot are both about 8 inches shorter. My old sail some of you may remember ripped every other time I sailed. It was beat up and stretched waaaaaay out of shape.

My issue with this sail is:

1. it was cut down. I here 2 conflicting things...some sway I won't notice at all...some say the sail shape is altered and won't sail properly...which one is it???

2 - stiff! My other jib does not have a UV cover...so its super easy to roll up...this sail is kinda hard to furl. Maybe as the UV cover is furled more it will get softer.

3. no tell tales - easy fix

4. wrong color blue UV color - i am being nit picky...lol

5. weight - i was thinking of going lighter on my next sail, this one is a bit heavier...which probably makes it more durable? yet tougher to move in lighter air.

1- its a newer sail!!!

2 - it accelerates FAST, way faster than my old sail...although I am not sure the top speed is the same...maybe its in my mind that I know its a tad smaller in sail area...today I was only able to get to 5.9 knots...I am usually able to get to 6.5+ knots, although the wind was lighter than other days, so maybe not...my last sail I was at 5.5....so thats slower, but today I was up to 6.4 knots in the harbor! That was faster than usual....

3 - Everything is sooo much smoother with this sail...it handles well, powers the boat well...seems like a good sail for the boat.

Here are pics....thoughts on sail shape? Or just general thoughts. I have 5 days to return it for a full refund if I don't like it.....

Old 06-03-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Looks fine from here.
Dick
Old 06-03-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Adjustable Jib Cars are your friend - Do you ever adjust them ?

The UV protection is well worth it. 7 1/2 oz is fine for a cruising sail which is used a lot.
puddinlegs likes this.