Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012

kalaniwavo is on a distinguished road
beach friendly boat advice

my wife and I just recently moved from hawaii to auburn, ca and are in the market for a sailboat. we have a few years experience sailing dinghies and small keel boats and have recently been looking for a hobie 16. but really the ultimate goal is just to have a boat we can sail at the local lakes but also be able to beach launch and sail around moneterey bay.

so far we've just found ALOT of cheap cats with delaminated hulls. we're only looking to spend about $2500. is it even possible to find a seaworthy cat for that price? I'm starting to have my doubts

we did find a very nice force 5. I'm just wondering how suitable a force 5 would be beach launching and sailing in monterey bay.

could you guys recommend some other options or beach friendly boats?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2012

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road
Re: beach friendly boat advice

You should be able to find a H16 in good shape for around 2k. I am not sure about the CA market,water, access,storage, conditions being from SC. Also look at the H17. I went thru several on those here in the harbor. Great for solo or two when it is windy. Look on craigslist, & thebeachcats.com. I found boats from late '80s early 90s that still had some life left in them for under 1k.The smaller monohulls like the F5's would work also. The biggest bang for the fun buck is the cat. Either way you would have a trailer, dolly at a beach or landing. Access to a non motorable launch site is key, then there is storage when not in use...
Old 06-03-2012

kalaniwavo is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out thebeachcats.com . could you elaborate a little on access to a non-motorable launch site? I was planning on just getting close to the water and dollying it down to the beach, or on lakes just using the boat ramp. Does that sound like the best way to do it to you?

Thanks for the response!
Nick
Old 06-04-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I used to have a Prindle 16. The boats were made very well and the cross supports (at least to me) seemed to be a stronger construction than a hobie. Here is one:
1974 Prindle 16 - Catamaran Sailboat Classifieds
Old 06-04-2012

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road

Yes the P16 is a more robust construction but it weighs more, harder to handle on the beach but the cross-beam hull connection is way stronger. That was a major failure point in the h17. The H17 is easy to handle on beach wheels, 400 and something lbs.
To the original poster, I located you in Ca and being inland, fresh water, lakes - (what is that huge one NE of SAC?) I would definitely urge you to look at the H17. The wings are the sh*t, very comfy and useful upwind, but watch out for broken wing sockets, e.i. inspect each of them, and the cross beam connection as prev.mentioned. Problem is, it is hard to see, look from underneath to spot corrosion.
I may have miss-posted about motoring and access. Usually w/smaller boats motors are not an option anyway. i am sure you know, Paddles are very effective w/smaller boats. Wind and current conditions are a factor as always. If you have perfect beach access, then you are set.