Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Video Recovered from Abandoned Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

(PS - Another thing that amazed me was how quiet and calm it seemed inside the cabin.)
I had the same thought.. but then if the camera is attached to the boat and there's no real outside reference (in much of the video the hatch is just a bright spot) you wouldn't see the boat's motion as it's zero relative to the camera.

I'm in line with most of you.... 'Why, and 'what for'? But not the first time this kind of thing has been attempted, and likely not the last.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

I say the most bad assed feat is rowing across the ocean, doing it with a kite is just GAY!!!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
I share SloopJonB's sentiments for the most part yet there is something to small boat adventuring. I still recall Robert Manry's Atlantic transit in the 13.5' "Tinkerbelle" in 1965. His thoughts on the subject after the fact can be viewed at (click on): Comments for Sailors in TINKERBELLE by Robert Manry

We had some pretty remarkable, albeit ill-advised, adventures in small boats early on--from crossing Bodega Bay in a borrowed El Toro for a "camp-out" (absent a compass and getting becalmed in a cotton-ball fog mid-way) to deciding it was a good idea to try sailing a Lido 14 to Catalina (and damn near freezing to death in the process until collected by a good samaratin in a power boat that stopped to ask us "what the he_l are you kids doing out here!?!). Despite the foregoing, with proper preparation, small boat cruising can be quite an adventure--and Learning Experience!!!

FWIW...

Hopefully, we ALL did some damn fool adventurous things when we were KIDS. Big difference to doing it when you are (supposedly) all grown up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-06-2012

Freerider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post

I tell you one thing - if I am ever in a situation where I have to record my last minutes on this earth on a video camera to be recovered later, I won't be dropping the f-bomb every 10 seconds, and I'll say some things a lot more sincere and less self-centered than "I'm thinking about the (unnamed) ones I love ... things will be different if I get back."
Now this is entertainment
Old 06-06-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Kinda torn but I'd rather my tax dollar being spent for R/R having to do with these litltle guys than corporate-financed offshore racing...at least they can drag this little tub onto the rear deck with fairly light block and tackle or sink it with one blast of the deck gun....and be off...or just get the one solo sailor off and be off...instead of having to pull 8 guys in survival suits out of the water which may require a blackhawk,etc that is already low on fuel to be on site for a half hour...and/or the cutter needs to blow 8-10 caps in the 50-foot thing, score another few bucks for Lockheed Martin's ballistic division profits,etc etc...I dunno...I have more sympathy for these little guys...not alot..but a little more..

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

Perhaps we should put this video as a Sticky in answer to all the "How big of a boat do I need to cross an ocean"? posts.

Mike
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 06-06-2012

montenido is on a distinguished road

While I do share the general sentiment on this thread, that the guy is crazy and deserves what he gets, this still scared the spit out of me.

I hope to do the Pacific Milk Run, about 3000 miles, in my CSY 44. Much more boat than what this guy was aboard, but his video still gives me pause.

Wow.

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 06-07-2012
Cherp

Cherp is on a distinguished road

Man gets little boat with weird rig. Man goes out on the deep blue sea. Big wave flogs little boat. Man has to be rescued. None of this is surprising. More expected.
eherlihy and SloopJonB like this.
Old 06-07-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

I've met the guy on Tinkerbell and saw the boat first hand a sailing conference. He didn't take much risk, that boat was BUILT! It was as solid as an ocean buoy, and his planning was unbelievable. He was prepared for the worst and then some. A real sailor in the truest sense of the word.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 06-08-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
I've met the guy on Tinkerbell and saw the boat first hand a sailing conference. He didn't take much risk, that boat was BUILT! It was as solid as an ocean buoy, and his planning was unbelievable. He was prepared for the worst and then some. A real sailor in the truest sense of the word.

Gary H. Lucas
I tend to agree that the fellow seemed to be very experienced and didn't strike me as crazy or anything like some have posted. I wonder what this experience has taught him actually and whether he'll be "having another go"...If so, I doubt it will be in a kite-driven bouy but we'll see...the guy survived...i wonder how far he got across btw..guess his website is up and it would say there...Now if a portion of the rescue costs can be re-couped from him by agencies involved everyone's happy but I doubt it works that way...otherwise I think this remains a fairly sober yet daring attempt in a new sailing medium...and IMHO should not be as derided as it has been mostly thus far in here...

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-08-2012 at 12:51 AM.