Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: How Far Do You Heel...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post

That's what "I'm" looking for... Promise not to scare the female/family crew at anything near that...But when the "boys come out to play"....all bets are off..
Just be safe. On one round-up from a broad reach which occurred when I was below sitting at the nav table talking to another crew member in the galley, he was thrown across the saloon onto the chart table. No injuries, but ....

Remember, there are old sailors and there are bold sailors; there are no old, bold sailors.

I would like to sail efficiently and fast.
sailordave likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Come on Jack, let me keep my balls...

Just saying I promise to be "really cool" with the family and "pretty cool" with the boys...

I'm not stupid....coast guard was doing a safety meet at the marina..Wife asks "What if you fall in?'.... They said "DON'T"... @ 40*-45* in the water you got 10-12 min "maybe"...

No games on this boat... we have plenty fun on the Cat in warmer water...

"
Old 06-04-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road

I found that I have been able to soothe the fears of my daughters with respect to healing by demonstrating the use of the main sheet and its effect on the heel angle. On a close haul course: Trim the main sheet, increase heel; ease the main sheet, decrease heel. Now that the girls know that Daddy can control heel and that the boat isn't going to tip over, they simply let me know when they are uncomfortable. It's fun watching them scramble to the high side of the boat after tacking...
Old 06-05-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Like the others, I agree that it is kinda boat-specific. My old Harstad liked around 20 degrees before it really started moving, but my Crealock Columbia 36 prefers around 15 degrees and she screams.

Keep it comfortable. The difference between 20 degrees at 7 knots and 15 degrees at 6.5 knots is the comfort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 09-03-2013

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road

New sailors here as well. This weekend we were on Lake Michigan in a 35 ft. Beneteau. Wind was 20 knots and a small craft advisory. We were between a close haul and a beam reach. There was a lot of weather helm. It was getting hard to handle the boat. We furled in the genoa a bit hoping to take out some power. Didn't help much but then it wasn't furled much. When we furled in part of the jib it was flapping quite hard. Then I let out the traveller a bit and let out the main, hoping to spill some wind and depower the boat. It helped some. Finally I just took in the genoa and it was much easier then.

I don't know the angle of our heel, but I think it was effecting the ability of the rudder. When you get so much weatherhelm that it is hard to keep the boat under control, what should you do with sail trim? BTW - we have an inmast furling main.
Old 09-03-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Some boats like to heel. While I have not had my sprite out yet, I have read and heard that they like to bury the rail and when they do, they just gain speed. Granted, a seasprite 23 is an old fashioned boat with very low sheer, so the rail is only about 2 feet above the waterline as it is

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 09-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

There is some really strange "information" on this thread.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 09-03-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I pay attention to my speed, not my heel angle. My Pearson 28 hits hull speed upwind at between 20-30 degrees heel angle. Yes, there is weather helm; yes, the rudder is being dragged through the water at an angle; yes the keel is acting as a lever in the water; nevertheless, the boat is going as fast as it can at that angle. As an IOR-influence boat with a large J measurement, most of the P28's power comes from the jib, and as the boat is initially tender, it will heel over quickly to 15 degrees upwind as it nears hull speed. The waterline is longer as the boat heels, increasing hull speed.

Try experimenting with your main sail trim. Crack off the sheet or drop the traveller, or in an extreme case - put in a reef, and see if your speed increases with less heel angle.

On a broad reach or run, upright is fastest (as the boat rolls). Interestingly, the boat pitches less as it attempts to climb its bow wave at hull speed, or in those rare occasions, surfs down a wave.

Here is my boat upwind at hull speed:

Last edited by jameswilson29; 09-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

In my opinion James has the right approach. You maye be heeled 28 degrees and you may have some helm but if you are passing boats then you are doing the right thing. By
pishing the boat hard you are getting the most horse power out of your rig and this might make up for the negative effects of heel angle. Pretty muich every bpoat I have sailed, and I have sailed a lot, benefits from being "powered up" when on the wind or hard reaching. Heeling to 30 degrees is common when hard on the wind racing. I'm not saying heeling per se is good. I'm saying putting the pedal to the metal and leeting the boat heel, just short of rail under is for most boats the fastest way to sail. Everything short of that is a deference to your crew and their comfort and that's fine but it is probably not fast.

Reefing is huge. There comes a time when you can't get optimal trim out of your main without sticking the rail in and building up unnaceptable weather helm, on some boats. When you need more then 5 degrees of helm it's time to think about putting in a reef.

Cruisers reef for survival.
Racers reef for performance.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
rgscpat (12-08-2013)
Old 09-03-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

I usually heel about 3-4 feet behind.
Since Admiral is left handed I tend to stay to the right.
arf145 and steve77 like this.