Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: How Far Do You Heel...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Cheers Jeff.

So from what I gather the mainsail is flattened at the leading edge in the area of the mast bend and then the leech would not have as much tension thus adding more twist and spilling more wind. It has been what I thought but have heard conflicting information.

I understand moving the top of the forestay aft and down would also decrease the tension on the leech of the headsail and so induce twist. Not sure about flattening the headsail though. If the foreatay tension is tight and is moved aft through increased backstay tension wouldn't this just decrease the angle of the straight line of the forestay and not reall effect the luff. But I guess it would all depend on the initial forestay tension.
As a broad general rule, as the wind increases the headstay sags more, and this is especially true on a fractional rig where the increased headstay forces induce more mast bend. When you tighten the backstay, this increases the tension on the forestay and that reduces this sag. When you reduce sag, almost by definition, the stay itself moves forward and to windward. And this increases the distance between the leech of the sail and the stay. As that distance increases, the jib is flattened and therefore depowered.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Fantastic, thank you very much indeed Jeff, you're a star. I even understood it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Great explanation Jeff .thank you. ? Do you see any advantages to mast head rigs? Just came in from sailing. Variable day. Have Solent rig. Find if I leave tension on furled genny halyard a little loose get more out of the back stay.? Am I just fooling myself ? Obviously leave tension in actual stay the same all year once tuned.
Old 09-06-2013

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road

Just want to point out how lucky we all are. We all have whatever level of experience, interest, academic background to opine on various topics. But we get to read and interact with a truly accomplished yatch architect.

It reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with a large animal vet (my wife is an equestrian and has had several horses over the years). He was describing his "experience" of horse owners.

"There are two ways I know of to becoming an equestrian vet and an expert on horses. The first is to go to college, go to veterinarian school, intern, pass your boards. The other is to buy a horse."

Skywalker
jimgo likes this.
Old 09-06-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I drive past dairy farms all the time up here.
I really want to own two milk cows.
I would treat them really well.
I'd feed them beer.

It's my dream.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 09-06-2013

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road

Nice dream

I'll donate to the cause. Anyone who recognizes the many uses of beer gets my support.
Old 09-07-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Cheers Jeff
Old 09-07-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

All this talk of heeling has made me want to go out and buy a clinometer today and mount it. I just heel until it slows me down right now but I am curios to see what angle that is.

I do not plan on buying a horse of a cow though
Old 09-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
As a broad general rule, as the wind increases the headstay sags more, and this is especially true on a fractional rig where the increased headstay forces induce more mast bend. When you tighten the backstay, this increases the tension on the forestay and that reduces this sag. When you reduce sag, almost by definition, the stay itself moves forward and to windward. And this increases the distance between the leech of the sail and the stay. As that distance increases, the jib is flattened and therefore depowered.

Jeff
This explains the small triangle the Oday used to use on their rigs on the backstay. With the Mainsheet hooked to it, the more tension on the sheet, the tighter it pulled the stay

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 09-09-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Jeff_H,

It appears your photo made the BoatUS Foundation facebook quiz today:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

or here: https://www.facebook.com/BoatUSFoundation