Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: How Far Do You Heel...?

Ok, Jeff despite your disclaimer NOT to read your responses on both fractionals and mastheads, I couldn't help myself, as I find posts by both yourself and Bob P to be 2 very good reasons (among many) to scour through these forums...

You've mentioned in the past that you think the mast on the Capri 25 to be "bendy" for a masthead rig. I've read through countless information from the association and also other Capri 25 sailors who consider it rather prone to resist bending.

More information is, the rig does not have running backs, or a baby stay... it does however, have 2 lowers on each side, one forward of the mast, one aft (I am guessing this was a design requirement to hold the middle of the mast in place while cranking on the backstay, to as you say, control buckling). Again its on a 25 foot boat, so this is a lot of standing rigging for such a small boat (which agrees with your statement that the mastheads put more loading on the rigging).

I suppose the question is to that itself. My own experience on the boat denotes very little depowering taking place with increased backstay tension -Does this indicate a less bendy mast, or is it due to the nature of the lowers that it FEELS less bendy? Or just as much a result of the rather unsophisticated tensioner for the backstay.

I get SOME depowering while tensioning backstay (which I note tensions forestay as well, and therefore flattens the entry on the genoa, and opens the leech). For my money if I need to depower more I usually just slide genoa cars back some, this after I've cranked on backstay and haven't depowered enough.
Old 09-09-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Schnool:
If your aft lowers are tight you are going to have a very hard time bending the mast. I would tune that mast with aft lowers on the slack side and more tension on the forward lowers. This will give you some room to bend it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Bob, that follows with the tunning guide (to just snug the aft lowers up with no backstay on, and tension the forward lowers to account for 1-1.5" pre-bend)... Maybe I've overtightened them (now I'll be checking - again)... maybe that's why I am not getting a whole lot of reaction to backstay tension... hmmm, might have tightened forwards for prebend, after I did the aft lowers... probably should have done it other way around.

Ugh, rig tuning, not my forte'.
Old 09-09-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Right. Tighten forward lowers first to get the bend started. Then snug up the aft lowers but not too much. This si the wat all the Valiant were originally rigged and in fact in the early IOR days almost al bokat were rigged with for and aft lowers. It waas a radical move to go to in line lowers and baby stays.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 09-09-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

That is really funny! Thank you for pointing that out. Who knew Synergy was a quiz show star?

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Jeff_H,

It appears your photo made the BoatUS Foundation facebook quiz today:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

or here: https://www.facebook.com/BoatUSFoundation

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 09-09-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I must admit that my recollection of sailing on a Capri 25 is decades old and is somewhat based on masthead rigs from the immediately preceding era. (Think Cal 25 or Morgan 25) So the Capri seemed like a good compromise between having a little mast bend and yet enough stiffness to keep proper headstay tension. Fractional riggers got a bad rep for not being able to beat back then because of headstay sag. That changed when sail lofts learned to match the luff hollow on frac's to the headstay sag.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Ok, Jeff despite your disclaimer NOT to read your responses on both fractionals and mastheads, I couldn't help myself, as I find posts by both yourself and Bob P to be 2 very good reasons (among many) to scour through these forums...

You've mentioned in the past that you think the mast on the Capri 25 to be "bendy" for a masthead rig. I've read through countless information from the association and also other Capri 25 sailors who consider it rather prone to resist bending.

More information is, the rig does not have running backs, or a baby stay... it does however, have 2 lowers on each side, one forward of the mast, one aft (I am guessing this was a design requirement to hold the middle of the mast in place while cranking on the backstay, to as you say, control buckling). Again its on a 25 foot boat, so this is a lot of standing rigging for such a small boat (which agrees with your statement that the mastheads put more loading on the rigging).

I suppose the question is to that itself. My own experience on the boat denotes very little depowering taking place with increased backstay tension -Does this indicate a less bendy mast, or is it due to the nature of the lowers that it FEELS less bendy? Or just as much a result of the rather unsophisticated tensioner for the backstay.

I get SOME depowering while tensioning backstay (which I note tensions forestay as well, and therefore flattens the entry on the genoa, and opens the leech). For my money if I need to depower more I usually just slide genoa cars back some, this after I've cranked on backstay and haven't depowered enough.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 12-08-2013

Stefman is on a distinguished road

We wash the windows every chance we get when not racing.
Old 12-08-2013
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefman View Post
We wash the windows every chance we get when not racing.
been there done that..... Many times just for s#!ts and giggles, That really lights a fire under the butts of lazy crew members.
Old 12-10-2013

Pegu club is on a distinguished road

So, what would you "old salts" say about a 1975 Bristol corsair 24'7" as to its likely average effective heel angle, she is just under six grand with three grand under water, what say you guys? Thanks much.

Our first year with her.
1975 B24 #578
A slave to the wind
Old 12-10-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

I agree with the 15 degree guys.

On BR when I hit 15 I reef. Before I have a 1/3 turn on the wheel I reef. When it's "hard to steer" I reef.

Don't scare your crew, especially if they're your wife and kids. They won't come back. You won't like that.