Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Any experience on a good racing watch?

I love my Citizen Sailhawk. It works great as an everyday watch and also has great functions for sailboat racing. Analogue and digital.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

I have an old version of the Ronstan clear start that's been through a couple of seasons of keel boat racing. Does what it needs to do, is easy to see, and most importantly is a no brainer to operate. Love the 'sync' button.
Old 06-04-2012

NautiC25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
I love my Citizen Sailhawk. It works great as an everyday watch and also has great functions for sailboat racing. Analogue and digital.
Just saw a pic of one. Way too small and complicated to read when racing.
Old 06-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
I have an old version of the Ronstan clear start that's been through a couple of seasons of keel boat racing. Does what it needs to do, is easy to see, and most importantly is a no brainer to operate. Love the 'sync' button.
I'm not sure how the sync button works, but from what I hear, it's the best function with racers.

I'm glad I'm hearing good experiences from people with the Clearstarts. It's easing my mind about buying one and confirming that only the PO'd customers do the reviewing.
Old 06-04-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Someone on another thread recommended the Gill Regatta Master, but I think that it starts at about $140.

The following is proof that you can find just about anything on Youtube:

Old 06-04-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The most important function on a starting watch is the sync button, everything else is just noise. Oh, and the ability to do rolling starts.

The issue with the sync button is it makes sure you have the same time as the RC. Just start it roughly at the first gun, then a minute later you can ensure that you have exacally the right time. No regular egg timer, or count down timer can perform this function.

Secondly is the ability to handle rolling starts. Unless I am in the first start, I want the count down timer to restart the 5 minute count down as soon as the last one is done. Otherwise you wind up fiddling with the watch in the middle of your starting sequence, and likely having a timer slightly behind the RC.

Sure these issues aren't that important if you just go beer cruising, but if you want to get to the front of the pack, good starts mean everything. The difference between an on time start, and a 10 second late start can be more than 2 minutes at a short windward mark, and the right watch helps get you there... Of course there is also the problem with learning how to start in traffic.
puddinlegs likes this.
Old 06-04-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
If you want a "Sailing" Watch, buy one, if you want a timer....

Agree with others By a Kitchen Timer. With a watch only the guy with the watch knows the time and needs to call it out, with a timer velcroed to the mast or bulkhead, everyone can see except the maybe the bowman, and the count down can be silent. The bowman doesn't need to know the time, just call out if you are over the line or not befoer the gun.

If your at a start, stealth tactics are desired. Yelling out the time so that every other boat knows isn't helping you win the line. Suppose two of your foes are without timers or mistimed the start of their watches/timers. If your are calling out the time every minute then fraction of minutes and then seconds, and they can, hear, there is no tactical advantage.

If you want a pretty sailing watch, buy one, but if you want to use it as a primary timer, there are better, less complicated devices to do this. The Large Numbers Digital Kitchen timer is best and EXTREMELY cheap.

Amazon.com: CDN TM15t Design TM15 Extra Large Big Digit Timer: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: CDN TM15t Design TM15 Extra Large Big Digit Timer: Kitchen & Dining

Old 06-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Agree with the Citizen Sailhawk. The Admiral gave me it as a b day present 6 years ago. ( This is when she was on a kick giving me a new Citizen every year for 7 years. Not complaining, but before that Seiko and Timex were fine for me.

Advantage of a lot of the Coitizens inlcuding the sailhawk is the EcoDrive.

Great quality, waterproff to 60 ft and accurate as hell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-04-2012

I have a nice Citizen eco-drive watch for daily use. This is for racing only.

As for the large kitchen timer on the mast vs. shouting out time from a watch. I'm sure the competition have eyes as well as ears. but like I said, I'm a crewman, so I want it as backup to his device. He forgot his last time.
Old 06-04-2012

crstophr is on a distinguished road

I was recently given a well used suunto yachtsman watch. It had been used by the previous owner for at least 5 seasons of ocean racing and cruising in the Atlantic/Caribbean. It has the race timer as well as a bunch of other features. I had mentioned I was looking for a sailing watch.

I got it because he could no longer get the battery door off to change the battery and it had drained the last battery very quickly leading him to think there may be some kind of internal short.

I found a replacement battery door kit on line for <$10 and managed to get the battery door off. I found a bit of salt and some rust in the battery compartment (conductive when damp!) and cleaned it all up before putting in the new battery and door. It's been running very well since then.

I'd say it held up great to some serious sailing conditions before I got it and with only a bit of cleanup is back in action. Seems like a great watch to me with a very readable display.