SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Any experience on a good racing watch?

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  NautiC25 
#1 ·
I've looked through all the old threads, and searched major websites for the varieties (Ronstan, Suunto, Gill..) To be honest, what I really want is either the Ronstan Sailing or Regatta, or the Gill Regatta Master. They're basic, have a large digital display, and do the only job I want from them, countdowns.
The problem I keep running into, is the endless poor reviews on them. I know sometimes the reviews will only have negative feedback from PO'd customers, but this time it's enough to scare me away from the products.

If the reviews are all true, then the Ronstan Sailing would be the best bet at only $59. If it breaks, then I'm not out a lot of money. Still, I'd rather not throw my money away.

Anyone have one that's held up well?

#2 ·
I have used the Ronstan sailing heavily for the last 3 years. I bought it just to do countdowns, and have zero complaints about it. Even the original band is still in good shape.

I might be tempted to look at some of the new gps toys that have a time and distance to the line feature, but for $50 the ronstan has worked very well for me.

#3 ·
I have used the Ronstan sailing heavily for the last 3 years. I bought it just to do countdowns, and have zero complaints about it. Even the original band is still in good shape.

I might be tempted to look at some of the new gps toys that have a time and distance to the line feature, but for $50 the ronstan has worked very well for me.
Have you gotten it wet? Most of the poor reviews are about it not being water resistant at all.

#6 · (Edited)
I have had two Ronstans, both of which were generally good. The first was the fancier model with the larger digits and the buttons on the face of the watch. I was happy with this one but it was comparatively expensive and the band broke after only one season and I have not yet found a replacement to fit it, although I haven't looked too hard.

RF4030 |Ronstan Marine Division

The other one, which I am using this season is the one that you mentioned, I think. No moisture problems, so far, and I have raced three times in the rain so far this season. The downsides are that the digits are smaller and the buttons on the side of the watchface can be accidentally pushed by your writst or another watch. (I also use a regular watch with a second hand to help me time the beginning of the starting sequence.)

The best of luck.

RF4031 |Ronstan Marine Division

Edit: I neglected to mention that I have also used a digital egg timer that I bought at walmart for three or four bucks. Won't beep at 4 and 1 minute but will keep track of the time without a problem.

#7 · (Edited)
If you only want a countdown timer...really, spend ten bucks on a big digital kitchen timer. We used to velcro one on the cabin bulkhead next to the instruments, so everyone could see if and watch the countdown. Cheap, durable, easy to change the penlight battery every two years. And when not in use, zipzip the velco and it went below as a clock.

I never invested in a "proper" racing watch but at least in theory, it should count DOWN, reset and restart if there's a postponement, and after the countdown switch to counting elapsed time to keep time for the race. Oddly enough many watches will do that--but only keep elapsed time to one hour.

So I've always said "screw it" and used a stopwatch or kitchen time. The smartphones can do better now, but anything on deck eventually tries to go swimming and that never ends well.

CB-
Have you tried asking Ronstaan about a band? I'd be surprised if they didn't replace the band, or just send you a new watch. Always worth asking, and giving them a chance to earn good pr.

#14 ·
I'm not sure how the sync button works, but from what I hear, it's the best function with racers.

I'm glad I'm hearing good experiences from people with the Clearstarts. It's easing my mind about buying one and confirming that only the PO'd customers do the reviewing.

#16 ·
The most important function on a starting watch is the sync button, everything else is just noise. Oh, and the ability to do rolling starts.

The issue with the sync button is it makes sure you have the same time as the RC. Just start it roughly at the first gun, then a minute later you can ensure that you have exacally the right time. No regular egg timer, or count down timer can perform this function.

Secondly is the ability to handle rolling starts. Unless I am in the first start, I want the count down timer to restart the 5 minute count down as soon as the last one is done. Otherwise you wind up fiddling with the watch in the middle of your starting sequence, and likely having a timer slightly behind the RC.

Sure these issues aren't that important if you just go beer cruising, but if you want to get to the front of the pack, good starts mean everything. The difference between an on time start, and a 10 second late start can be more than 2 minutes at a short windward mark, and the right watch helps get you there... Of course there is also the problem with learning how to start in traffic.

#17 ·
If you want a "Sailing" Watch, buy one, if you want a timer....

Agree with others By a Kitchen Timer. With a watch only the guy with the watch knows the time and needs to call it out, with a timer velcroed to the mast or bulkhead, everyone can see except the maybe the bowman, and the count down can be silent. The bowman doesn't need to know the time, just call out if you are over the line or not befoer the gun.

If your at a start, stealth tactics are desired. Yelling out the time so that every other boat knows isn't helping you win the line. Suppose two of your foes are without timers or mistimed the start of their watches/timers. If your are calling out the time every minute then fraction of minutes and then seconds, and they can, hear, there is no tactical advantage.

If you want a pretty sailing watch, buy one, but if you want to use it as a primary timer, there are better, less complicated devices to do this. The Large Numbers Digital Kitchen timer is best and EXTREMELY cheap.

Amazon.com: CDN TM15t Design TM15 Extra Large Big Digit Timer: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oRiKkre6L.@@AMEPARAM@@41oRiKkre6L

#18 ·
Agree with the Citizen Sailhawk. The Admiral gave me it as a b day present 6 years ago. ( This is when she was on a kick giving me a new Citizen every year for 7 years. Not complaining, but before that Seiko and Timex were fine for me.

Advantage of a lot of the Coitizens inlcuding the sailhawk is the EcoDrive.

Great quality, waterproff to 60 ft and accurate as hell.

#19 ·
I have a nice Citizen eco-drive watch for daily use. This is for racing only.

As for the large kitchen timer on the mast vs. shouting out time from a watch. I'm sure the competition have eyes as well as ears. ;) but like I said, I'm a crewman, so I want it as backup to his device. He forgot his last time.

#20 ·
I was recently given a well used suunto yachtsman watch. It had been used by the previous owner for at least 5 seasons of ocean racing and cruising in the Atlantic/Caribbean. It has the race timer as well as a bunch of other features. I had mentioned I was looking for a sailing watch.

I got it because he could no longer get the battery door off to change the battery and it had drained the last battery very quickly leading him to think there may be some kind of internal short.

I found a replacement battery door kit on line for <$10 and managed to get the battery door off. I found a bit of salt and some rust in the battery compartment (conductive when damp!) and cleaned it all up before putting in the new battery and door. It's been running very well since then.

I'd say it held up great to some serious sailing conditions before I got it and with only a bit of cleanup is back in action. Seems like a great watch to me with a very readable display.

#21 ·
Any experience on a good racing watch? -NautiC25
Can some one explain the relevance of some of the extraneous self serving posts here. Seems like some of the responses were made just in order to show off your apparent knowledge or to state someother agenda opinion,

The poster as specifically about a racing watch. Not about egg timers, kitchen timers, shouting times when approaching the line or tactics. He simply asked about a watch/

Dave

#23 ·
I have used the Ronstan Quick Start Sailing watch for local beer can and J22 racing for the last 3 years. Works well, no problems, easy to use. More functionality than I need but easy to set for different countdown times with flexible warning tones. I love it for the price. I think around $50-60 or so. Can't go wrong at that price.

#26 ·
Wow, what a thread!

I have a casio sea pathfinder watch (SPF40-1V). It's a little price (close to $200) but it's great to sailing and racing. It has the racing countdown timer you wanted (including the ability to sync it) and also has a barometer, compass, tide display, and a number of other features. It's rugged and has been reliable.

Ever since I lost and expensive watch overboard, I only wear 'cheap' watches when on the boat.

Barry

#27 ·
Had one of these

Wow, what a thread!

I have a casio sea pathfinder watch (SPF40-1V). It's a little price (close to $200) but it's great to sailing and racing. It has the racing countdown timer you wanted (including the ability to sync it) and also has a barometer, compass, tide display, and a number of other features. It's rugged and has been reliable.

Ever since I lost and expensive watch overboard, I only wear 'cheap' watches when on the boat.

Barry
This was cool watch when I got it, but when I changed the battery, the seal didn't reseal well and I got sea water in it and it killed the watch. Had it for 8 months. When I replaced the battery, I took it the same place I have my Tag Heuer watch resealed, so I know these guys know how to reseal and pressure check a watch. The o-ring seal in the Casio is very, very thin. Maybe they changed it since then, but I had bad luck with mine. Never had an issue with other Casio watches.

YMMV.

DrB

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the reassurances on the sailing watches. I was really worried about the website reviews, but now that I know that they are misleading, I'm going to go with the Ronstan Sailing. It's light, portable, and I don't need to ask the skipper if I can mount it somewhere on his boat. ;)
I also saw a vid about how the sync button works. That really is an impressive feature.

I'll definitely check out the talking kitchen timer for my boat at a later date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.