Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Slip from Hell...

Slip From Hell...Slip one-Pier one....

Notice I have a 24' pier...26' boat (plus motor and rudder) and only 30' back to hit the breaker wall...

This is definetly where I'd put the "new guy"...Specially with everyone congregating round the Ship Store and Lounge (for when he takes off...)
Old 06-04-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
Re: Slip from Hell...

That seems more appropriate for a motor boat (as the rest of the boats on that dock).

To quote yourself....

"Might as well cast off...If anything bad is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..." (in your case...... in there...
"Captin Ron"

On the good side... you'll develop good "parking" skills.
Good luck, and be careful ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2012
Much to learn...

Capt-T is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt-T

Maybe work on your backing skills?? Once you hit the marina head towards pier 2, then just put her in reverse and back all the way to your slip.

Hey... I didn't say it was a "good" solution!!
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 06-04-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I see your point if you usually single hand, but if you have one or two crew it would seem fairly easy to put someone on the breakwater dock with a long bow line to help lead the boat around the corners into the slip.

Coming out you could have them walk you out of the slip on the long side of the dock and push off as they board, so long as the wind wasn't against you or you could spring off on the finger pier side if the winds were trying to pin you to the dock.

Either way I'd be asking for the wait list for a slip that's easier to negotiate. I fought difficult slips for the past 2 seasons and it really impacted my enjoyment of the boat. After moving the third time, I have a slip that's straight forward to enter with lots of room around it and find I sweat arriving and departing far less even though the new slip is less protected from crosswinds. Its hella' easier to deal with wind or current when there is nothing preventing you from aborting the attempt and retrying it. Things get "interesting" really fast when you are blocked in like that slip.
Old 06-04-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Look on the bright side, Squidd. With only thirty feet, you can throw a line and warp the boat out, and never need to use the engine while docking. See? This is a GOOD THING.

Now you just need to sneak over and bolt on some 4x4 posts, since the management has failed to provide proper bollards for your warping lines.
Old 06-04-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Aw come on, you could park an aircraft carrier in that slip.

You're lucky, there's no boat next to you. All you got is dock to bounce off.
Back out of the slip, put the tiller handle over hard towards starboard, give her some earnest forward motor & that boat will pivot towards port on a dime.

Ask the guys in the ships store/lounge to take pictures
Old 06-04-2012
Superior Sailor

Only took one "experiance" of trying to motor out and we decided to "walk it out" to the back wall pointing out...then fire up the motor...

Coming in isn't as bad,( did that a couple times) but first day I was there, there was a 40' boat parked on the back wall and I only had 15' or so feet to slide thru...

I left it on the gas dock and told them to walk it in when they had a chance...

This was just a temp slip for my first weekend there ...as a transient/guest hopefully next time I get something different...
Old 06-04-2012
Superior Sailor

And I should mention... My Fricking Outboard...

Wouldn't idle under a grand without dying...

Jam in gear, get some motion and toss in neutral...let 'er scream as you glide past million dollar Yachts...then jam 'er in gear again...

All the time trying to look "casual"... Like this is "normal"....

It's back in the shop this week... I want to see it in the tank "putting" at 500 rpm before I pay for it again...
messer999 and itsaboat like this.
Old 06-04-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I had a near identical slip for years and I grew to like it. My plan was to enter the slip with a couple of fenders deployed on my port side and take the bow to the empty corner behind my slip. Here, I would step off the bow with an aft spring and a bow line in hand. It was simple to shove the bow back out and pull the stern in. I found, with the fenders in place, I could easily walk the boat back into the slip. When departing, having the bow pointed out, I kept a line from the bow to a warp around the starboard piling. By releasing this line last, I could turn into the wind if necessary, and easily motor out.
chef2sail likes this.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 06-04-2012
Superior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevseasail View Post
That seems more appropriate for a motor boat (as the rest of the boats on that dock).

To quote yourself....

"Might as well cast off...If anything bad is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..." (in your case...... in there...
"Captin Ron"

On the good side... you'll develop good "parking" skills.
Good luck, and be careful ....
Shoot, bad stuff was happening before I even left the docking area...

I did "clip" the third boat out hooked his anchor off the bow spirit on my starboard stanchion..

I hadn't moved 20' so I wasn't at any speed...But it was enough of a ruckus to bring the "slip gestapo" out to see what was hapening...

They waved me off (no harm/no foul) but I sure was dreading coming back that afternoon...