Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012

stegosaurus! is on a distinguished road
Re: Best boat for up the Potomac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Dave,

Here was my thinking when I spoke to him this weekend:

He is WAY up the Potomac so all he has, is a skinny, winding channel flanked by very shallow waters. I'm not sure how much commercial traffic he'll be dodging, so I figured swing keel/centerboard/shoal draft was really important to keep him from getting stuck when he dodges outside the channel.
Also, very light breezes up there, so something light that doesn't take a lot of breeze to get moving.

Of course, I told him to post here to get a variety of opinions besides just mine.
Exactly. And really, after researching I figured I was looking for a shoal/centerboard boat, but since research can only give you so much insight I thought I'd pose the question.

That Morgan 22 seems real ideal. It has a shoal/ centerboard with roughly 2'-5' draft. It only weighs 2700, but has more ballast at 1400# than even most 24' I was looking at (which were around 1100-1200#).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
He is WAY up the Potomac so all he has, is a skinny, winding channel flanked by very shallow waters. I'm not sure how much commercial traffic he'll be dodging, so I figured swing keel/centerboard/shoal draft was really important to keep him from getting stuck when he dodges outside the channel.
Also, very light breezes up there, so something light that doesn't take a lot of breeze to get moving.
Good advice.- I would look like he has for a cheap starter boat like the 22 Morgan or Catalina with a c/b. The roominess of the 25 Catalina is also a nice feature to advance to overnighting and will give him some of the creature comforts like a head, bunks etc.

A little more weight than 3000 lbs might also be good even with light winds, as you go further down the Potomac the winds are anything but lights at it mouth.

Will be quite a challaenge sailing in the Potomac current also. Did you give some thought to keeping it at a slip further down closer to the Bay where you would have more exploration room and less physical obstacles to overcome. Once past the WW Bridge not sure you can sail that area.

Dave
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-05-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

If you have a choice, keep it on the bay and look for something in the 22'-25' range. Way more options to cruise to. The lower potomac is a better place to sail.

Check in with Dangerfield island sailing club DISC. They're in your area and will probably take you out on the upper potomac. It's narrow. Only about 1/2 of the water you can actually sail in, the other stuff is only 2' deep. Makes racing there a bit of a challenge.

There are a ton of options for boats in that size range. What's your price range, and will you be trailering it to different locations?
Old 06-05-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I kept a powerboat with a sailing dinghy on the Occoquan for a couple of years. I spent a winter at the Gangplank marina on Auspicious. When I was young I sailed a Cape Dory Typhoon out of Washington Sailing Marina.

I agree that shoal draft is good for those waters. I'm not sure what your concern is about the heavy keel of boats like the Catalina 22. You might want to explore your concerns - maintenance of the pin, cable, and winch is easy and infrequent. Regardless, you may have your reasons and you should be comfortable with your choice. I would encourage you to consider the Catalina 22 in addition to the Morgan 22 and similar boats. I do strongly advise you to avoid wing keels. Wing keels become great anchors in Potomac mud.

Either of those two boats (and many others) will provide great sailing along the upper and middle Potomac, with wonderful opportunities for adventure as far South as Colonial Beach and even Coles Point.

I sailed a Catalina 22 on the Bay for a while (as well as J/80s, J/22s, and assorted other small boats) and you'll have a great time even if you decide on an extended adventure down the River and into the Bay.

My suggestions are along the lines of Bubblehead. Do look at the Catalina 22 and 25. You have to haul ANY centerboard or swing keel boat before purchase to check for growth in the trunk, which can be a real job to get out. You'll probably have a port-a-potti - check the rubber and plastic bits for decomposition. Everything else is pretty straightforward and right out of the "so you want to buy a boat" books.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-05-2012

stegosaurus! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
A little more weight than 3000 lbs might also be good even with light winds, as you go further down the Potomac the winds are anything but lights at it mouth.

Will be quite a challaenge sailing in the Potomac current also. Did you give some thought to keeping it at a slip further down closer to the Bay where you would have more exploration room and less physical obstacles to overcome. Once past the WW Bridge not sure you can sail that area.

Dave
Dave
I doubt I will be near the mouth of the Potomac anytime soon. It would be a long haul. I also wouldn't sail above the WW bridge. I mean the marina is right there, but I would be sailing down a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
If you have a choice, keep it on the bay and look for something in the 22'-25' range. Way more options to cruise to. The lower potomac is a better place to sail.

Check in with Dangerfield island sailing club DISC. They're in your area and will probably take you out on the upper potomac. It's narrow. Only about 1/2 of the water you can actually sail in, the other stuff is only 2' deep. Makes racing there a bit of a challenge.

There are a ton of options for boats in that size range. What's your price range, and will you be trailering it to different locations?
I mean, of course I have a choice to keep it on the bay, but then I would never sail. Honestly Id rather sail in poor conditions and be able to hop on the boat everyday if I see fit than only be able to see my boat on weekends. I just want to be on the water. I don't really care about racing right now. I am sure if I go to graduate school and get my mfa then become a professor that would be an option, but until then its really not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I kept a powerboat with a sailing dinghy on the Occoquan for a couple of years. I spent a winter at the Gangplank marina on Auspicious. When I was young I sailed a Cape Dory Typhoon out of Washington Sailing Mar.ree that shoal draft is good for those waters. I'm not sure what your concern is about the heavy keel of boats like the Catalina 22. You might want to explore your concerns - maintenance of the pin, cable, and winch is easy and infrequent. Regardless, you may have your reasons and you should be comfortable with your choice. I would encourage you to consider the Catalina 22 in addition to the Morgan 22 and similar boats. I do strongly advise you to avoid wing keels. Wing keels become great anchors in Potomac mud.

Either of those two boats (and many others) will provide great sailing along the upper and middle Potomac, with wonderful opportunities for adventure as far South as Colonial Beach and even Coles Point.

I sailed a Catalina 22 on the Bay for a while (as well as J/80s, J/22s, and assorted other small boats) and you'll have a great time even if you decide on an extended adventure down the River and into the Bay.

My suggestions are along the lines of Bubblehead. Do look at the Catalina 22 and 25. You have to haul ANY centerboard or swing keel boat before purchase to check for growth in the trunk, which can be a real job to get out. You'll probably have a port-a-potti - check the rubber and plastic bits for decomposition. Everything else is pretty straightforward and right out of the "so you want to buy a boat" books.
its not that i am concerned about the heavy keel, its just more of a "what's the better option" kind of deal. Swing keels provide almost no stability when up. Shoal keels do. Shoal keels also have a ton more ballast (600-800# vs 1200-1400# typically) also if for some reason it drops completely you're screwed. If a centerboard drops off completely it is much less of a big deal.

Last edited by stegosaurus!; 06-05-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

Oday 23 is a fine boat with a big community as well.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-05-2012
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road

We have a 30 ft. Pearson 303 on the Potomac, sailing out of the Occoquan. The P303 draws just over 4', and I wouldn't want any more for this area. Rich has given you very good advice - if you plan to sail close to DC, you need a very shallow draft. If you come down our way (I think Rich is out of Quantico), the river really opens up, although it is still river sailing. I do suggest making sure you have a good engine, as we have a lot of windless days in the summer. My wife and I have debated moving to the Bay many times, but we always come back to the advantage of keeping the boat close to home. We live in DC and can make the boat in about 25 mins. without traffic. I don't know how firm you are on the marinas closer to the city, but you may want to check out prices at marinas near the mouth of the Occoquan. Our marina still has a few 30ft slips available, and they go for around $3000 per year, a little less now that the season has started. It may be a good tradeoff.
Old 06-05-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
$3000 per year, a little less now that the season has started. It may be a good tradeoff.
Holy SHIIITE!!! I knew there was a reason I left Virginia... Do you have to pay property taxes on your Boat too? I do miss Tims Rivershore though...

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 06-05-2012

meteuz is on a distinguished road

I sail a Precision 18 out of Washington Sailing Marina. The boat lives on the trailer with the mast up and it takes just a few minutes to launch it at the ramp and maybe 10 minutes extra to retrieve at the end of the day including washing down the hull and trailer. A friend who also sails a P18 says he has gone out every single weekend since April and he is even faster than me. Practice does make perfect. For that little bit trouble, dry sailing cuts slip fees in half and saves some on maintenance too (no bottom paint, barrier coat etc.)

It is possible to sail above the Wilson bridge with a shoal draft boat. The P18 draws 18 inches with the swingboard up. You need it down for beating upwind of course, but being able to cross the shoals on a reach or run significantly increases your options. The swingboard also works as a low tech depthsounder: when you feel the bottom just lift up and get out of there. The water is muddy this time of year. Yesterday we touched the bottom with the swingboard up and I could not see the bottom in less than 18 inches!

Precision, Montgomery, Starwind and Compac would be some of the other brands to look at.
Old 06-05-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
It is possible to sail above the Wilson bridge with a shoal draft boat.
I took Auspicious way above the bridge (5'8") as do lots of deep draft boats. I've sailed into Alexandria and up Washington Channel. Good stuff. If you can stay under the bridge height you can sail up to Georgetown.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.