Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you personally get seasick?

I just got back from a sail from Bermuda to Virginia and got sick for the first time. It was on a 42 foot Beneteau in 15 ft seas and 25-30 knots of wind. The seas were not steady and it felt like we were in a wahing machine. It was the sideways rocking that got to me. I was a bit embarrased so tried to keep my sickness hidden. I never actually vomitted as I held it down, but my guts were painfully convulsing trying to empty my stomach. My body felt week and my legs were shaky. Stood my watch, but avoided putting entries into the log as reading and writing made it worse. Finally got a seasickness pill from the captain at the end of my watch and went to sleep below. I was fine when I woke up and fine for the rest of the trip. Funny how I wasn't sick while I slept. But I couldn't imagine having to deal with that for more than a day. I think I will take medicine as a preventative measure when I go off-shore from now on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Never Been Sick, but....

I haven't been out for much longer than 9 h, except for Alaska Cruise up the Inside Passage. I have been in some rough stuff on my boat, but by the time am starting to feel unsettled, I am usually through it or off the boat. What usually accelerates getting the unsettled feeling is heat and following seas for me. I have never taken seasick medication.

My wife is more susceptible to motion sickness. She now takes a 1/2 tablet of Meclazine (sp?) if it looks anything but glass smooth or we are out more than 3 h.

DrB
Old 06-05-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

It's different for everyone.
I get seasick, almost immediately, if I go down below underway. I can stay below at anchor or dock without a problem.
I get seasick sailing downwind if it's really slow and rolling. Otherwise, underway I am fine.
I get seasick on large ships in rolling seas but not in a chop.

If I do start to get the queazy feeling I just get up and look around, do something, anything, and it usually goes away. Steering the boat is a sure cure.
Old 06-05-2012

bshamblin is on a distinguished road

lin pardey has a good discussion of this in THE CARE AND FEEDING OF THE OFFSHORE CREW.

i have enough motion sickness sensitivity that i have been a coastal sailor never going too far offshore. but im wondering if it would pass in a day or two if i stayed out.

people who are prone to motion sickness often find that if they have the job of flying the airplane of steering the boat, they dont get sick.
Old 06-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
....Lemme rephrase that, I get sick every time I try to watch a Blair witch type movie, or one of these modern 3-D type computer games. It's obviously a visual thing for me, less than the motion.
This is actually the exact same physiology as seasickness. Your eyes perceive motion, but your inner ear does not. It's this conflict that is known to trigger brain activity that leads to nausea. On a boat, your eyes may not sense motion, as you move with the boat, but your inner ear does. This is why looking at the horizon helps, your eyes and inner ear are sensing the same movement. Or why closing your eyes or sleeping helps. Your eye are sensing nothing, so no conflict.

Quote:
An interesting thought occurred to me just now, I wonder if it'd not happen if I were to cover 1 eye..
Doubt it. It's not a depth perception problem.
jackdale likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-05-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
As a fairly general rule, seasickness will only last about 3 days in open water, so your 12 day experience would either be illness or very unusual.
True enough as a general rule but some people are sick for extended periods. I had crew from UK to Azores that was sick for 18 days - from the time Falmouth disappeared below the horizon until he was under a tree in Horta. He lost a lot of weight and we were all worried about dehydration. I got a note from his wife: "What did you do with my husband and who is the handsome skinny man you sent in his place?" We call it the Carlos Mendoza adventure diet. I must say that despite 2-1/2 weeks of misery Carlos never missed a watch. A real trooper.

For most people seasickness is a fairly short if unpleasant experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm a big believer that anxiety is a strong contributor. Once you start worrying about your propensity to get seasick, it makes it even worse.
Absolutely. I've watched people become sick because they think they might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I was seasick for nearly 4 years while in the U.S. Navy serving aboard the Heavy Cruiser U.S.S. Newport News, CA-148. The ship was 760 feet long, round bottomed and in heavy seas rolled verrrrry slowly. Got out of the Navy, fished aboard small boats, mostly under 30 feet, and never again became seasick. Go figure.
The US Navy has done a lot of research on this as you might expect. I don't have the citation at hand but there was a seminal paper back in the 70s that determined that individuals have a particular frequency of motion they are most sensitive to. That's why some people get car sick but not sea sick or air sick. The particular range of sensitivity also varies among individuals, which is why some people get sick in cars, trains, buses, boats, ships, airplanes, etc and others seem to have no disposition to motion sickness.

Internal, psychological factors influence susceptibility. External factors like smells, tastes, and sights do also.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

Never puked over the side but while taking a 46ft sport fishing boat from Puerto Rico to St. Thomas in some nasty weather I got nauseated when I had to do some work down in a hatch. Had to get up on the flying bridge and feel that wind in my face to settle my stomach down. Didn't get rid of the feeling totally until we got to St. Thomas in smooth water. I absolutely hate that feeling.
Old 06-05-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

I refuse to say no since I believe that's vainglorious and bad karma.

Let's just say after 50 years I just haven't been in rough enough conditions yet, with a sufficient number of folks very sick and very close to me...
Old 06-05-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I only got really sea sick once and it was on a fishing charter running downwind and the diesel stank came right over the transom. I'm not sure it was really seasickness or just my aversion to diesel stank, I HATE DIESEL STANK!

I have felt the warning signs several times but it never seems to get any worse than those initial feelings.

As was said before though, there are two types of sailors, those that have been seasick and those that will be seasick. Don't worry, it'll pass.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 06-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Had a good friend tell me once (very accomplished long distance sailor): Everyone gets seasick... we all just have different thresholds.

SOmoeone above mentioned diesel fumes. They get me too. Going down below and making plots gerts me in seas about 10+ for 24+ hours. I know my threshold. Once I get sick, that's it and I am usually fine.

I have found that some people are extremely sensitive to it. Medicatoins you should conider are Scopolamine (put on about 24 hours ahead of time, though some will say 6 hours early), phenegren, and valium (for vertigo). All of these are prescritpion only and docs are really careful with Valium as it is addictive.

You need to find something though. I wonder if the valium might not be the trick for you since it could be anxiety. Also, ginger snaps and peppermint are the non medicinal options. If none of this works and you are finding yourself being sick for days on end, it strikes me you have an inner ear problem or simply are one of those people that are very sensitive to motion. Can you read in a car? What about a plane?

My warning to you is that many of these meds (ginger and pepermint aside), have side effects that vary with individuals. Take them before you get on a boat to test them. DIscuss this issue with you doctor. You may have a lot of fluid in your ears that is screwing with your balance. SImple OTC meds like Alavert or Sudafed with Psuedoephedrine (can be used to make Meth so have to get from behind pharmacy counter) may help with the allergies and decongestion. Liek I said, Valium is good for vertigo and anxiety, both of which may b effecting you. If none of those meds work and you are sick over 48 hours at sea, well, I would look into a differnt type of boat - like a hard chimed boat that planes or partially planes (non-sailboat).

Anything over 48 hours sick is a danger to me. I don't even like 24 hours. On a small boat, that person becomes a real liability. You can become sick enough to endanger yourself and the crew taking care of you can become taxed and endanger them as well. Not trying to sound like doom, but I personally would not intentionally let anyone on the boat with me that got sick over 24 hours. Too dangerous for everyone involved. But you can't help what you can't help. SO talkk to your physician and start on some meds and get your ears checked out.

Brian
rikhall and jackdale like this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: