Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you personally get seasick?

Thanks Brian, my big problem is that I got a fixer-upper that's currently on the hard and not seaworthy. All my time/money is really going be needed to go to working on it, not 5 day offshore trips. The trip I'm on was supposed to settle the question for me, but with only 1 or 2 day passages which I keep getting sick it seems like I'm back to square one on my own journey of self-discovery trying to find my personal puke stop level

I guess worst case I can spend a few years cruising puget sound and then truck it to the sea of cortez or something. I can think of worse fates.

But as far as drugs like scopalmine, do people take that for months or years at a time?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Thanks Brian, my big problem is that I got a fixer-upper that's currently on the hard and not seaworthy. All my time/money is really going be needed to go to working on it, not 5 day offshore trips. The trip I'm on was supposed to settle the question for me, but with only 1 or 2 day passages which I keep getting sick it seems like I'm back to square one on my own journey of self-discovery trying to find my personal puke stop level

I guess worst case I can spend a few years cruising puget sound and then truck it to the sea of cortez or something. I can think of worse fates.

But as far as drugs like scopalmine, do people take that for months or years at a time?
Just take it when you need it and pull it off. Ii suspect you will get your sea legs and no longer need it. My guess.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The only time I ever got seasick was when I was 11 on a 22,000 ton Cunard liner in the North Atlantic in November. I didn't get hit badly, but enough to know what the victims go through. IIRC I didn't have any protein spills but definitely lost my appetite for a day.

When seasick, your biggest fear is that you won't die.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I was seasick for nearly 4 years while in the U.S. Navy serving aboard the Heavy Cruiser U.S.S. Newport News, CA-148. The ship was 760 feet long, round bottomed and in heavy seas rolled verrrrry slowly. Got out of the Navy, fished aboard small boats, mostly under 30 feet, and never again became seasick. Go figure. Gary
From what I understand, slow rolling is far more likely to induce it than choppy motions.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiC25 View Post
I don't normally get queezy, but it's happened when I was hot, tired, and dehydrated on a long day of boating, and inside the cabin. Once I got outside to see the land, I was fine.
That's what I have noticed - if you are feeling queasy, DON'T GO BELOW.

Old 06-05-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I've never been sick on a sailboat but I've come close on large power boats in heavy swells. Like Brian, I have trouble when I get back to land, fell over in the shower at Ganges Hbr one time :-)) I think I would have been in trouble on a tuna fishing trip in 20+' seas (42' charter boat) if it weren't for Scop, out of 10 people I was the only one that didn't get sick but I didn't feel great. IIRC Vega? (SV Lealea) here on SN had a bad trip from Hawaii to Seattle, sick for a couple of weeks, maybe he'll jump on here with some info. I think I read that he's heading back to HI so he must have figured something out to help with it.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse