SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Do you personally get seasick? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/88253-do-you-personally-get-seasick.html)

xymotic 06-05-2012 02:34 AM

Do you personally get seasick?

Like many people here, I have this 'dream' of casting off and circling the globe. But so far I've had limited offshore experience, and it has not been good:

I sailed from Bara de Navidad (s. mx) to San Diego on a delivery.
puked for 12 days straight. I thought maybe I got a bug in MX, & I was hoping it was not seasickness.

I made a few trips to Catalina island and didn't really get seasick, but then a couple times I did get ill at night on the mooring in light seas. Didn't feel better til I hit a dock.

Most recently I've spent a month on a 68' luxury motor Yacht on the inside passage. So far EVERY open ocean passage has put me down for the count.

I got extremely seasick very quickly on the dock at the frikken Annapolis boat show a few years ago. Though in my defense it was really rough, and REALLY weird motion.

Most recently I got sick at the dock.

So I'm getting more than a little depressed. On the one hand, the sailboats I've been on had better motion that the motorboat. But OTOH if I'm getting sick on a 68' 100 ton boat with stabilizers in 6-8' seas on a 10-20 mile stretch, how it the heck am I going to single-hand around the world?

Are any of you captains out there sailing a lot dealing with seasickness? Everybody says it goes away... um when? I've been on this trip a month.:cool:

micheck 06-05-2012 04:31 AM

Re: Do you personally get seasick?

Do you take any seasickness prevention type medicines? Some have said they do starting a day or so before they head out

Minnewaska 06-05-2012 05:50 AM

There are only two types of mariners. Those who have gotten seasick and those who will.

As a fairly general rule, seasickness will only last about 3 days in open water, so your 12 day experience would either be illness or very unusual. Getting seasick walking a dock is a new one to me. Have you seen a doc to be sure you don't have anything wrong with your inner ear or suffer from vertigo?

Sometimes, its a simple as getting familiar with things. I'm a big believer that anxiety is a strong contributor. Once you start worrying about your propensity to get seasick, it makes it even worse.

BubbleheadMd 06-05-2012 07:13 AM

Do you go long periods in between boat excursions?

I find that if you go to sea regularly, you acclimate and suffer from nausea much less.

As a young'n, whenever my submarine would enter into an extended maintenance period, that first day back at sea after the overhaul would really suck.

ShoalFinder 06-05-2012 08:11 AM

Seasickness really does suck, and for that reason alone I think the fear of it can even make you sick. In the Navy, I had a great friend who got seasick every time we went out. He hated being seasick so much that he turned green as soon as we singled up the lines, LOL. That's when he realized it had become a physical response to the dread of seasickness even more so than true motion sickness. As Minnewaska said, after a day or two he would be fine. Even if we were out for months, going through storms, he would never get sick again. It was just that first day that socked it to him.

I have been seasick a number of times, but I found the secret for me is to puke at the earliest possible convenience. Trying to fight it makes it a hundred times more miserable. I learned that as soon as you get the little twinge and your mouth gets watery, just head for the rail and try to force it up. Ten minutes later it's over.

denverd0n 06-05-2012 08:18 AM

Yep. I get seasick pretty easily. Puke over the side, and then keep right on doing whatever I was doing before. That's the good news for me. Even though I get sick it doesn't really debilitate me. I just have to be sure to be up on deck, or have a bucket handy, to avoid a nasty clean-up job later.

Typically lasts a couple of days for me. If yours lasts for months at a time I would agree with Minnewaska and say that you need to eliminate the possibility of inner ear problems. Then, the other question I would have is, on the inside passage trip, was it maybe a case of a bit of roughness (and getting seasick) followed by calm days (where you felt well) and then more roughness (where you were actually getting seasick AGAIN, rather than just continuing the previous seasickness)?

christyleigh 06-05-2012 08:54 AM

I'm OK as long as I can see what's going on and let my brain understand the motion. Wave bashing or long rollers for hours no problem - on deck. When I had to go into the bowels of a previous boat to clean a clogged raw water strainer with no outside reference just in a light chop I was nauseous for the rest of the day. When I had to change the clogged fuel filter daily after failures bringing home the boat from Annapolis I was OK because it was under the pilothouse sole and I could work/concentrate a little, look out and around a little to re-orient my brain, and over again until done - no problem. I can't read in a car or bus - nausea. Merry Go Rounds used to make me nauseous. Rolly moorings or anchorages are OK, even for sleeping, but I don't try to read. On a cruise when at anchor setting up the next day's GPS points I have to take breaks to get my head straight. So.... I have some form of Motion Sickness but 99.9% of the time I can control it :)

CapnBilll 06-05-2012 09:19 AM

If you are that bad I would try using a rocking chair, or a merry go round, (while reading) constantly until I got used to it.

I hardly ever get sea sick, and it may be the endless hours I spent on these devices as a kid.

travlineasy 06-05-2012 09:28 AM

I was seasick for nearly 4 years while in the U.S. Navy serving aboard the Heavy Cruiser U.S.S. Newport News, CA-148. The ship was 760 feet long, round bottomed and in heavy seas rolled verrrrry slowly. Got out of the Navy, fished aboard small boats, mostly under 30 feet, and never again became seasick. Go figure.

Gary :cool:

SHNOOL 06-05-2012 09:33 AM

I can attest that after years of sailing, I had never gotten sick even once... Then I went out Cape Fear with a friend of mine fishing on his 22 foot powerboat, and we were fishing parallel to shore... He got sick within seconds of being out... I got green, but never over the rail, never threw up. These guys speak TRUTH! I'd have rather been over the rail! It took me 24 hours to get over that feeling, even after I was on shore for 12 of it.

Seasickness is normal, and being over the rail is better than toughing it out. 12 days sounds extreme. It does go away, or should or there is something else up. I've not been sick since. Lemme rephrase that, I get sick every time I try to watch a Blair witch type movie, or one of these modern 3-D type computer games. It's obviously a visual thing for me, less than the motion. An interesting thought occurred to me just now, I wonder if it'd not happen if I were to cover 1 eye. HMMMM.

Finally, I have to say exposure should have fixed this for you, so you may have some kind of inner ear thing, or the like.