SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

So Memorial weekend this happens......

4K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  US27inKS 
#1 ·
Outside

Inside

I asked a friend to drive while I tended to a sail while sailing out of the harbor. She was doing a great job, so I didn't jump back behind the wheel. I thought we should tack once to clear the breakwater. Another friend on the bow said we would make it. We didn't.

In the end it was my fault for not taking control of the boat in close quarters, and for not tacking when I knew we should. Looks like I have a little fiberglass and paint work in my future.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ouch indeed... what kind of breakwater? Kinda feel sorry for your friend too, she must feel awful..

#6 ·
A good auto body guy like yourself should be able to buff that right out. :(

That is more that just a "little" fiberglass and paint. Not the thing to happen at the beginning of the season.

Matching the hull color will not be easy.

#7 ·
About 40 years ago my little brother did about the same thing to the side of my nice '62 Chevy convertible when I was teaching him to drive. The moral of the story being......

#14 ·
It sucked the night it happened, but in the end it's just a big ol' piece of plastic. Nothing too important really. It will get fixed in short order. I'm just very glad no one got hurt. Once I realized we were definitely going to hit, I could have called for a crash tack but that would have tacked us right into the rock breakwater on the other side, and since no one was ready, probably got someone hurt. One of the guys ran forward to fend us off, and I'm very glad he thought better of it at the last second.

The good news is that I'll have plenty of help. 3 of the 5 people on the boat were members of our "sisters under sail" group at the YC. Not only do they feel bad about my boat, but they kind of owe me since I let them restore their boat in my shop on the weekends all winter. I found that they don't like sanding much though. I'll have to cure them of that.

#15 ·
Free learning opportunity.

I've seen much worse dings. Consider yours a scratch-with-an-attitude.

BTW. Been there, done that (to my dad's and other people's boats). Also dismasted a 420 and sunk a workboat where I worked. Boss didn't fire me either. :laugher

#18 ·
Yes we have breakwaters in Kansas. It how we keep the powerboats and logs out of the marina. The one in question is a cut up section of old dock with fins about 4 feet below the water. The ends have jagged pieces of I beam sticking out. Not a good design but we are looking for a new one. When the winds are from the South South east they get funneled up the slot and you get headed sailing out. Yes we sail in and out of our slips in Kansas. :D

#21 ·
I got the hole glassed shut.
I laid up a layer of glass mat on the outside, then screwed a piece of plywood over it.

Then from the inside I laid up 2 layers of roving, and 1 layer of glass mat. I used 4 layers of glass mat to reattach the v-berth shelf to the hull.

The next day I removed the plywood.

And put on a layer of epoxy thickened with fairing filler.

Now to sand it down and paint.

#22 ·
John

I am guessing that the background is an autobody shop.

Nice work.

#23 ·
No, mechanical repair. I've done body work, but you probably wouldn't want me to do it on your car. If I was a real body guy, I would be sailing already.

Fiberglass repair was learned out of necessity since I bought a boat out of what might as well been a junk yard.

And thanks BTW. I try.

#24 ·
I finally got the boat painted. I spent a huge amount of time stripping and repainting the deck. That's a real PITA, and I'm still not done putting hardware back on.

I had to rush the paint job because the lake is running out of water and I was on a borrowed trailer. My friend needed his trailer back in a bad way, so instead of rolling and tipping like I did last time, I sprayed it. I never have liked the look of a sprayed boat. It's just too hard to keep a wet edge, no runs, etc. So as I suspected, I hated it.

So I did what the interlux rep told me I couldn't do successfully. I polished it. First with 1500 wet sand on a rubber block, then a buffer with a coarse pad, then a fine pad.

Until the reflection looked like this:

The repair is on the left side of this picture.

#28 ·
Thanks guys. It just looked so awesome after I painted it the first time, there was no way I could let it go looking the way it did. So it only took me 2 1/2 days to get it this far. The other side isn't polished yet. I have just a little more work to do with the 1500. It will get there soon though. Maybe tomorrow or thursday.

Now if the deck hardware would just install itself.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.