Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Computer Expert Help

Hi Everyone,

Thi is not sailing related per se (well, it is because this computer is for Home Schooling on our boat!), but I need some help from those who are much more litterate about computers than I am.

Have a Dell Insprion. I only paid a few hundred bucks for it so spending muc money to get it fixed is not a smart financial move. It worked fine up until 3 days ago.

My son, God love him, got on the internet and went to these free gaming sites. It was protected by Trend Micro, but apparently, the virus found a way around.

I tried to save the data, but that would not happen. Basically, the computer would not even boot up after that or would run so slow it would keep "Not Responding" on any process, including Windows Explorer. Luckily we backed up our data not long ago, so not a total loss.

I went through the Dell Recover program where it ries to save your data then formats around it. Tat did not work. I am now doing a full system restore to factory settings with the Dell Recovery Discs we made when purchased computer. Not sure if that will work either. I have my doubts.

My question is whether a virus can overwrite core data on windows so that a restore would not fix it? WHat is the work around here? Buying Windows 7 all over again and re-installing it rom scratch? Or could it be something worse?

I am pretty sure it was a virus because he confessed that while on the game web site, it kept asking him if he would allow such and such access to his computer. You can guess what he said. Trend did NOT find the virus afterwards which leads me to believe it is written into the core programing.

If this does not work, I will probably just trash the computer unless someone has a better idea. SPending a lot of money is not a wise decisions simply because of the main cost of the computer. But... again, Ii am open to suggestions.

Brian

PS Of course, the Internet is strictly off limits now!!! (snicker)

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Computer Expert Help

If the dell recovery disks format the partition first then do a full windows install your virus will be gone.
Sometimes there is an option to format or to not format and just reinstall windows.
I always backup the data first then format to be sure.

In the future you may want to consider something like Sandboxie the will let you do anything on the internet then when you are done your system resets.
I use it when I'm going on a website that I don't trust.
wind_magic, dacap06 and justflie like this.

Last edited by davidpm; 06-05-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2012

justflie is on a distinguished road

Yep. A format kills all traces of everything, including the virus. The restore disk will get you back up and running. Thank God for backups!
Old 06-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
If the dell recovery disks format the partition first then do a full windows install your virus will be gone.
Sometimes there is an option to format or to not format and just reinstall windows.
I always backup the data first then format to be sure.

In the future you may want to consider something like Sandboxie the will let you do anything on the internet then when you are done your system resets.
I use it when I'm going on website that I don't trust.
How do you know if it is doing a full windows install? It says it is "Formatting Your Partition..." after that it says "Reinstalling Your Original COntent". Can Windows 7 be put on two DVD's and fit?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-05-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Computer Expert Help

Yes the recovery disc should reinstall everything if you choose the "clean" recovery mode. Your data will be hosed, though. As long as the virus isn't in the master boot record or hiding somewhere else it should work.

Yes, Win7 will install from the disc.
Old 06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I use it when I'm going on website that I don't trust.
What sites might that be?
Old 06-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
Yes the recovery disc should reinstall everything if you choose the "clean" recovery mode. Your data will be hosed, though. As long as the virus isn't in the master boot record or hiding somewhere else it should work.

Yes, Win7 will install from the disc.
If this does not work, then how would I get it out of the master boot record?

Another exampole of how scrwy it is: After doing the restore, it would barely boot up. THis was a full clean restore from the hard drive, not the floppys. But I was forced to shut it down. It popped up with a disc scan and ran for about 30 minutes celaning corrupt files. How do you have corrupt files when you just restored it from scratch???

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
If this does not work, then how would I get it out of the master boot record?

Another exampole of how scrwy it is: After doing the restore, it would barely boot up. THis was a full clean restore from the hard drive, not the floppys. But I was forced to shut it down. It popped up with a disc scan and ran for about 30 minutes celaning corrupt files. How do you have corrupt files when you just restored it from scratch???
It might not be a virus, but a bad hard drive. Or it could be. If you restored fro the hard drive and that partition was corrupted as well, or had bad sectors, the restore could have been bad. Do you have the discs?
Old 06-05-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

I have the Dell Recovery Discs. That is what it is doing right now. It has finished Formatting Partisions and is now stuck on Reinstalling Original Content (stuck at 61% for about 2 hours now).

I have a bad feeling about this.

Brian

PS I HATE COMPUTERS.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-05-2012

justflie is on a distinguished road

I can't speak to dell's recovery stuff (running on a Mac) but give it some time. Worst comes to worst, just do it again. You already formatted the partition so you don't have to worry about losing anything since it's gone already. If the dell reinstall hangs for long enough, you can always start over.

Do you have a harddrive activity light you can look at or the light on your DVD drive? Those (and sounds) can be good indicators if it's still doing something.