Kent Island Narrows Depth - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter

Re: Kent Island Narrows Depth

Yeah, we saw the restrictions and are planning on either going to Dundalk and docking overnight the night before so we can approach the show from the East or getting on the water early and leave the Anchorage Marina during the open transit window before the show.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 06-07-2012

Ahhh...I'm often reminded that we made the right choice of boat with a draft just over 4'

Now if I can just get it back in the water!!!

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-07-2012

I was considering a transit through the narrows from Magothy River to St. Michaels for my upcoming charter. Sounds like this might be a little too risky for my first-time charter, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
post #14 of 20 Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter

It's my first-time charter too. My rational for not going is that I'd rather have a relaxing sail and not worry. I've been through the narrows a couple times and it's a good hour of motoring in some relatively strong current, depending on how you time it and you are usually surrounded by a lot of traffic on the weekends. The southern route around Kent Island can be sailed and is a bit more scenic.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-07-2012
DrB

Kent Island Narrows Depth -Thread Hijack Sort of

Question for you Chessy Bay folks. Why don't they dredge channel for the narrows on a periodic basis?

I mean if it is at 4-5 ft at some of the shallower spots, why not dredge to a consistent 6 to 8 ft. I remember going through there a few times with my dad in a power boat and it was touch and go in some areas that were narrow when other boats were coming the other way.

If you liked my advice/response, give me some rep points. If you didn't......well what do you expect, it was free.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-07-2012

Re: Kent Island Narrows Depth -Thread Hijack Sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Question for you Chessy Bay folks. Why don't they dredge channel for the narrows on a periodic basis?

I mean if it is at 4-5 ft at some of the shallower spots, why not dredge to a consistent 6 to 8 ft. I remember going through there a few times with my dad in a power boat and it was touch and go in some areas that were narrow when other boats were coming the other way.

$$$$$$

For example: http://rockhallwave.com/2012/02/17/b...rom-50-to-700/

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/d...ist_fy2010.pdf
SVAuspicious likes this.

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-07-2012 at 12:18 PM.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-07-2012
Dragon Mod

Dock

Shawn is spot on. And due to the strong current and other reasons, that channel silts in very quickly. They would almost have to keep a dredge on call all the time and, well, that ain't happening.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #18 of 20 Old 06-07-2012
Dragon Mod

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I was considering a transit through the narrows from Magothy River to St. Michaels for my upcoming charter. Sounds like this might be a little too risky for my first-time charter, right?
I have gone through a few times on OPBs. It can be a wheel gripping adventure, to be sure. Not just the channel but dealing with getting under the bridge when a large percentage of other boats have no clue about the rules of the road and everyone's in a frikken hurry.

We plan in extra time to go around the outside.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #19 of 20 Old 06-07-2012

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Restriction zone is west of the Key Bridge. Dundalk is in that zone so make sure your times are correct.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #20 of 20 Old 06-07-2012
Owl

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.