Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012

kurtsailor is on a distinguished road
Kent Island Narrows Depth

Hello fellow sailors,
I am chartering a boat from Annapolis with my brother and father (family name is Sailor) for three days and I would like to take a nice circuit heading northeast from Annapolis, going under the Bay Bridge and south through the Kent Island Narrows for the first day in order to catch high tide at around 1:00. I noticed in the past years there has been concern about the northern approach to the Kent Island Narrows due to shoaling. The boat I am chartering has a 5' draft and the northern approach has a minimum depth of 4' based on the latest NOAA chart (interestingly it is listed as 7' on my friend's 2000 chart). So, should I do it? If so, do I hug the red or the green day marks? I'd appreciate any new news on the shoaling here and I'm pretty sure there are other sailors out there searching "Kent Island Narrows Depth" on Google. I've been through here twice (2007-2008) with a 4'6" draft boat before and never had an issue. I'm willing to accept a "no" and just round the island from the south for both the legs but a circuit and seeing new scenery would be great for my family members since this is their first time on the bay.
Cheers,
Kurt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2012

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Kent Island Narrows Depth

See discussion under Destination-Chesapeake

From 'Local Notices to Mariners' - District 5 - May 22/12

MD – CHESAPEAKE BAY – CHESTER RIVER – KENT ISLAND NARROWS NORTHERN APPROACH – SHOALING

Shoaling to a depth of less than 5.0 ft MLW has been reported in the center of the channel in the vicinity of Kent Island Narrows Northern
Approach Lighted Buoy 3 (LLNR 26417). Chart: 12272.
Old 06-06-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I went through last fall at low water, stayed fairly close to the west side of the channel as I was coming in from the north, and the depth never was less than 6 feet. On an exceptionally low tide, though, you would definitely hit that hard-sand bottom. Just gauge your trip through the narrows by the tide and you'll be fine.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 06-06-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I would go with what the latest LNM says. That channel silts up quickly. Too quickly to depend on a 12 year old chart and even what the depth was last year. Plus, if you get stuck sideways, you're screwed. It's a very narrow channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-06-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I went through 2 weekends ago on the way to the Wye River ...and it was a white knuckler as it always is. I took the long way home ( Eastern Bay, Bloddy Point,. I have been through the Narrows probebly 5 times on the last two years and bumped 3 times. I draw 4'6 with the centerboard up.

On ther north side of the NarrowsThe channel is well marked, but the major shoaling is at the north end between markers #5 and #6. abd #8 and #9. There is a small green in between where they have teemporarily moved narrowed the channel btween these two sets. We saw 5 ft a mid tide in this area. As you approach the new route 50 bridge which you can get below the current is very swift so dont get to near this area until its time to go thorugh the bridge.

On the south side of the NarrowsShoaling between the Red# 6 and Green#5 ( set apart in a line) to the next two marks Green#3 and Red#2 which are right across from each other. We saw 5 ft in this area also

I always go fairly slow in these areas as the current isnt bad and if iI touch its a bump vs a hard grounding and easy to feel my way to the slighhtly deeper water. I also try and follow a bigger boat ( to get their general line), but not always possible.

Synopisis- Its doable in a 5 ft draft and you can save a load of time if thats why you are doing it, but if its just to take the great circle route I would say stay 2 days on the Chester or stay 2 days on the Wye/ Miles and dont give yourself added aggrevation.

Rememberthe bridge opens on the 1/2 hour ( I think they monitor 13 if I rememeber), the boats with the current have the right of way first.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-07-2012

Thank you all for your prompt replies! That is a good point about exploring the Chester River. The more I think about it and realize I don't have a cigarette boat (or a bikini [luckily]) there really isn't a reason to go through the narrows. Just passing through the narrows isn't worth it. I was stuck at the southern approach for 2 hours in 2008 since the bridge operator had a medical emergency. One of the other boaters in cue called 911 after over an hour waiting and we watched the whole rescue from the water, fighting the sun rays and current.
I'll take the Southern route and enjoy the open water, and be sure to avoid Bloody Point Shoal. Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-07-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
options

If you do the southern route here's a few places to stop,anchor. Will you be staying overnight with them onthe boat?

Go up Eastern Bay to Dividing Creek (Wye River right fork to Shaw Bayy (all nature)and the up about 1 mile. Or stay onthe Miles River and do St Michaels and take a slip. 5 hours

Another trip from would be to the Rhode River and High Bar. You'd go around famous Thomas Pt light. 4 houts

Another would be to Rock Hall. 4 hours

Many day tri options. If you het the ovetnighter. Stay in. St Michaels people can walk the town. Or the Wye for peaceful quiet serene Eastern Shore. With bald eagles

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-07-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

not to mention that your charter company may have the narrows on their off-limits list.
Old 06-07-2012

Thanks Dave! I am convinced now that the southern approach is the way to go. Dividing river looks like a perfect anchorage and it is also close to St. Michaels so that we can have a quick motor there the next morning and go to the Maritime Museum. I also noticed that the Maritime Museum is having their 25th annual antique boat show on that Friday we arrive; what great timing.
The charter company was fine with me going through the narrow since their primary concern was clearance under the fixed bridge (my boat clears) since a few years back they had a guy go through some other narrows further south and dis-masted.
Thanks again everyone, I'm looking forward to a great trip. The icing on the cake will be going back to Baltimore after our sail, see all the boats in the harbor for the 1812 Sailabration and the Blue Angels from the deck of my friend's boat.

Cheers,
Kurt
Old 06-07-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsailor View Post
Thanks again everyone, I'm looking forward to a great trip. The icing on the cake will be going back to Baltimore after our sail, see all the boats in the harbor for the 1812 Sailabration and the Blue Angels from the deck of my friend's boat.

Cheers,
Kurt
We'll be there, too. Make sure that you check the USCG safety zones that are in place if you're planning on sailing up. Navigation is restricted in the Inner Harbor during the air show and while the ships are in transit.

Boating | Star-Spangled Sailabration FAQ

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne