Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: interesting rescue worth discussing

Two headsails on furlers and they need electric motors for them too? Dont get it. Thank good ness for the CG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We have furling sails, but use electric winches to manipulate the outhauls and furling lines. An electric furler for the headsail is an option, but no thanks. Yes, you can go stick a handle in it (I believe it is a special handle, not just any winch handle), but you're going to the bow to do so. If I'm right about the specialty handle, you better know where it is too. I prefer to just grind a winch in the cockpit, if the juice dies. And we've had to do it.

I've had my share of drips and leaks, but thankfully, never one that rose to the level of needing assistance. I've had a false high water bilge alarm go off too. That was a lifespan limiter.

I guess, they all get you thinking. We have a dedicated cabinet in the salon with just about every water plug thing you can think of. Dowels, that soft cone thing, stay afloat wax, etc. The bilge has a primary and backup pump. I also have a third pump, with about 20 feet of wire and ring terminals to spin on a 12 v battery terminal with enough hose to run up the companionway and over the side. This was an old jerry rig that I set up to deliver a boat across the bay with an inoperative bilge pump. We used it to pump 6 inches of rain water out of the bilge. We also have a supply of epoxy in case we need to have something a bit more permanent.
davidpm and Bene505 like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-07-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post

3. Should the high water bilge alarm go off, the very first thing to do is to fire up the diesel and not go looking for the leak.
Never heard this one before. Is the reason because the starter battery will go dead? I always thought it took time for a battery to discharge, even underwater. (Maybe the concern is water in the starter motor?)

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 06-07-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2012
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road

I have this to say about that : When I go out I don't feel like I'm owed a rescue at tax payer's expense , however , Of all the things our government spends money on I like this one . No one has the time to listen to all the ones I don't approve of .
Old 06-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

That sure is an Uglicraft. +1 on manual pumps. Electric pumps are nice but have proven to me that they can stop working for any number of reasons. I installed an additional manual pump last year to be able to hand pump from below. A bilge alarm is a good idea and pretty simple to set up. Watched a guy with a new zillion dollar boat w/in-mast auto furler bob around for hours with the thing hopelessly jammed a couple of years ago. He finally had to be towed in.

CG doesn't tow anymore as a rule. They call a tow service. Maybe there was no towing service available?

Last edited by smurphny; 06-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-07-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Never heard this one before. Is the reason because the starter battery will go dead? I always thought it took time for a battery to discharge, even underwater. (Maybe the concern is water in the starter motor?)

Regards,
Brad
Salt water is a conductor of electricity. When the batteries go under water, you will essentially create a path between the terminals. In a lead-acid battery the electrolyte will be compromised as well.
sneuman likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-07-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
The flooding "kept the engine from starting"? Hell, they had to be under power to begin with, since the sails are all furled...
That's what I was thinking, too. There has got to be a lot more to the story of what led to their "emergency" than we're seeing here.
Old 06-07-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Who the hell stuck a mast on a SeaRay?
davidpm, souljour2000 and Bene505 like this.

Old 06-07-2012

meteuz is on a distinguished road

Maybe CG chose to tow because something smelled fishy and they wanted the vessel to be available to any possible investigation?
Old 06-07-2012
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road

First, the boat looks to be quite a bit bigger than 49' - compare it to the 47' CG vessel. News articles give varying values, from 45 to 49 - but to me it looks to be at least 60' or so, especially with the bowsprit.

Secondly, note the bowsprit and check out this wonderful piece of cinematography: