Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
interesting rescue worth discussing

Saw this article about a Coast Guard rescue. Several different aspects of this bear discussion. What do you think?

Regards,
Brad

Coast Guard crew members from Oregon Inlet aboard a 47-foot motor life boat prepare to tow the 49-foot sailing vessel Devil Slander. (First Class Cadet James Lord)

Two rescued from 49-foot sailboat off Hatteras
The Voice | June 5, 2012

Coast Guard crew members from Oregon Inlet aboard a 47-foot motor life boat prepare to tow the 49-foot sailing vessel Devil Slander. (First Class Cadet James Lord)
Two sailors were rescued Monday after their 49-foot sailboat began taking on water about 30 miles east off Cape Hatteras.

A crew member aboard the Devil Slander contacted the Coast Guard at about 3 a.m. to report that the boat was disabled, adrift and taking on water.

Watch standers diverted the the cutter Block Island, which was on its way to the Coast Guard yard in Baltimore, the Coast Guard said in a statement.

The crew aboard the sailing vessel lit a flare to show its position. Also helping was a good Samaritan aboard the sailing yacht Islandia, which was around Cape Hatteras.

“The crew of the Islandia spent more than three hours communicating with us and the Devil Slander in a selfless effort to locate and assist the distressed sailors,” said Ens. Paul Junghans, a crew member aboard the Block Island and the officer of the deck during the search and rescue case. “The contributions of civilian mariners, like the crew aboard the Islandia, in cases like these are absolutely invaluable and greatly appreciated by the Coast Guard.”

A team from the Block Island was launched aboard the cutter’s small boat to help the sailors. Two crew members boarded the Devil Slander and were able to control the flooding using an emergency dewatering pump they brought with them.

The flooding damaged the sailing vessel’s electrical system, which kept the engine from starting and prevented the use of the electronic auto-furl sails, the Coast Guard said.

Towing was handed off among Coast Guard boats in an effort to get the Devil Slander to Beaufort, where the inlet is best suited for the vessel’s 7-foot draft and 75-foot mast, the Coast Guard said.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: interesting rescue worth discussing

Manual systems ain't so bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-06-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Damn, I wouldn't want to to be caught out of sight of land on that pig, much less in the Gulf Stream off of Hatteras...

Gotta love those "electronic auto-furl sails", eh? Probably just as well they never figured out how to unfurl the things manually, anything more than about 15 knots of breeze might lay that beast over on its side...

That has to be one of the butt-ugliest boats I've seen in quite some time... And, I'll bet that tow back down around Cape Lookout Shoals and into Beaufort was one of the costliest to the US taxpayer in quite awhile, as well...
newportermike likes this.
Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Manual systems ain't so bad.
I've yet to come across an electric furling system that didn't have some sort of manual backup...

Who knows, maybe they didn't have any winch handles aboard? (grin)

Wouldn't surprise me at all, these days...
jrd22 likes this.
Old 06-06-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. While my first thoughts about the stricken vessel crew were not kind, upon reflection I think I was too hasty. "There but for the grace of God..." comes to mind. Mid watch, off duty crew member is in the rack, on duty crew member is keeping watch topsides. Through hull fails, and the first discovery of the problem is probably too late to prevent the cascade of failures.

Of course, a high water bilge alarm would probably have been a good investment.

What I learned from this:

1. As Smacky says, manual back-ups for electric/electronic systems are prudent (which reminds me to quit putting off getting my manual Whale gusher bilge pump hooked back up before I get back in the water...)

2. Test the high water bilge alarm often.

3. Should the high water bilge alarm go off, the very first thing to do is to fire up the diesel and not go looking for the leak.

Thanks for posting this one, Brad.
Bene505 likes this.
Old 06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Hmmm. While my first thoughts about the stricken vessel crew were not kind, upon reflection I think I was too hasty. "There but for the grace of God..." comes to mind. Mid watch, off duty crew member is in the rack, on duty crew member is keeping watch topsides. Through hull fails, and the first discovery of the problem is probably too late to prevent the cascade of failures.
I don't know, to suffer something like a thru-hull fitting failure 30 miles off of Hatteras at 0300 seems just a bit too coincidental, to me... Could have happened, or course, but I would guess a chain of events considerably less catastrophic occurred...

I look at that thing, and see a vessel highly unsuitable for offshore... My guess would be that unseaworthy characteristics inherent in the design conspired to cause the difficulties they had. Elements like those portlights in the hull could be highly vulnerable on such a boat in a seaway, for example...

As usual, the initial reports lack detail, and in some respects make little sense... The flooding "kept the engine from starting"? Hell, they had to be under power to begin with, since the sails are all furled...

Certainly would be nice to know a bit more about the boat, I'd be very curious to see what the underbody looks like, at least...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-06-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2012
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't know, to suffer something like a thru-hull fitting failure 30 miles off of Hatteras at 0300 seems just a bit too coincidental, to me... Could have happened, or course, but I would guess a chain of events considerably less catastrophic occurred...

I look at that thing, and see a vessel highly unsuitable for offshore... My guess would be that unseaworthy characteristics inherent in the design conspired to cause the difficulties they had. Elements like those portlights in the hull could be highly vulnerable on such a boat in a seaway, for example...

As usual, the initial reports lack detail, and in some respects make little sense... The flooding "kept the engine from starting"? Hell, they had to be under power to begin with, since the sails are all furled...

Certainly would be nice to know a bit more about the boat, I'd be very curious to see what the underbody looks like, at least...
Jon,

You may be right. At this point, given the lack of info available, I'm inclined to give the crew the benefit of doubt. I assumed that the sails were furled at some point after the CG affected rescue, and that the flooding shorted out their batteries (probably installed low in the hull) which prevented getting the diesel fired up.

It'll be interesting to see if any further details emerge.

Oh, you are dead on about that being one butt-ugly boat
Old 06-06-2012
Señor Member

I just did a search for the boat in the documented vessel registry -- no joy.
Old 06-07-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Looks like some early to mid-1970's one-off sketchy Euro design...or like someone had his NA friend from college who was a failed powerboat designer build him a sailboat..."Oh sure Bill...I can build whatever you want...You want something original don't you? "She'll be the best looking boat in the yacht club..not just another Hunter-bene-catalina"...
Seriously would like to know what this thing is though...besides an ugly piggy..

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-07-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2012

dub420sailor is on a distinguished road

I thought the Coast Guard didn't tow anymore? Or will they tow if you are close in?