Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road
"Help" Boat shopping on the Great Lakes?

Hello all!

I'm new here and can't wait until we have our own boat to discuss and our own sailing adventures to share.

Sailing is going to be totally new to my wife and I and we have been looking on the internet at different boats and sailing techniques etc. since last fall. Registering here and reading different threads shows us we are at least in the right place! Not wanting to hijack existing threads to ask questions it was suggested by a helpful member here to start this new thread. So here goes from the beginning.

In 2009 we had to make some life changes and that req'd finding a hobby. There were two things in my bucket list...a 1972 MGB and a sailboat. I have the 1972 MGB and now I want a sailboat. I presently have the MGB listed on Kijiji Ontario for a swap/trade for a 27-29 ft. sailboat.Current insured value for the MGB is $12,900 and looking for a boat of equal value.

Pretty good response so far...from a Catalina 27, 1980 CS27, 1980 Hughes 31 and a 1969 Albin Vega 27 and a few more. Living in southern Ontario (Port Dalhousie) there are many marinas local to us. It is surprising the number of folks who are now in a position they do not want to sail anymore...for a variety of reasons and are looking for something new.

Has anyone here ever experienced an arrg't like this and what are your comments? I know the season is now in full swing and hope this can happen soon, or we will just keep advertising. There is a boat in Kingston Ont., but would need to transport here which I've been told is a 3 day sailing trip or transport on land (another expense) Trouble is ...we need to learn to sail.

A new boat will be our "cottage on water) for a while at least.

Look forward to all comments, suggstions and even offers...LOL!

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road
Re: "Help" Boat shopping on the Great Lakes?

The catalina 27 and albin vega are your best bets of the boats you listed. An Albin Vega just circumnavigated the Americas, and there have been Catalina 27s which have circumnavigated the globe. Both should stand up well to whatever you toss at them.

A 3 day sail is not bad, if you know how to sail. I could not guess at transport costs for moving the boat, but you should be able to get a few quotes to compare, and then just factor it into the cost of the transaction.

Trades or swaps like this seem to be getting more common, especially in some of the less liquid markets, like boats (and collectible cars I guess).
Old 06-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The CS27 would be at the top of my list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

With boats of that age, its all about condition. In todays market, $12-13k should buy you a pretty good boat in that size range. I would guess people responding to an ad to trade are doing so because they can't sell their boat. Boats that are in good condition and priced fairly do sell. You really would have a greater choice if you sell the MGB and then go looking.
Old 06-08-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

boats, sailboats mostly it seems like once someone owns it they loose interest. Why they would pay to own one but don't,won't,can't pay to learn to sail it is a mystery to me!

I often cite the story of the retired couple that meets with a broker, they were dreaming of "sailing around the world" they buy that $300,000 + boat... broker gives them a quick "lesson" they go out one nice afternoon. the weather changes they get scared... boat is parked and up for sale the next week! Broker gets to list it again.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Kalina-Lona, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalina-Lona View Post
helpful member
See that?
The rest of all y'all haters can bite me.

Old 06-08-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I find this offensive. Where's the moderator?

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 06-08-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

One thing to keep in mind when looking at a boat on the NE end of Lake Ontario is the prevailing west winds. You will be on a beat all the way to St Catherines and would certainly add to the challenge. Being new to sailing, that would be a tall task in my mind. I grew up in Rochester and have sailed Lake Ontario in my younger years. It can get quite nasty, but if you had the right weather window, it would be a great trip. Always keep in mind that Lake Ontario can sometimes be a force to be reckoned with!

I agree with Jim. You should consider selling the MGB and then find a boat closer to you. Best of luck and welcome to sailnet!

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
Old 06-08-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

From a Bucket list perspective, the MGB may be one check mark, but the sailboat should be a number of check marks. Just the process of finding the right boat and buying it can be a part time job. Learning to be a boat owner has a lot to figure out. Finally, learning to sail a boat will take years. I'm not trying to discourage you. This is just to point out that there are a bunch of wonderful processes that you could go through in exchange for that MGB.
Old 06-08-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Kalina-Lona, I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but,
See that?
Trying to fill Sailingdog's shoes?
Pasadena, MD