Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012

megynoet is on a distinguished road
Windsurfing lessons in NE Ohio

I'm a sailor but my kids want to learn to windsurf. I have an old board that's kind of advanced and really old technology. Thinking better off to take them somehwere for official lessons on a beginner board. Only found 1 in Columbus and one on Lake Erie (hard to learn there). Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Windsurfing lessons in NE Ohio

Cannot help you with Ohio but I can tell you taking them for lessons is the right way to go. The new beginner boards are much more stable than older boards.

As for location. It is less important where then it is to pick the right day. When I had my one and only lesson 30 years ago it was 3-4 knots and calm which made it very easy to understand and practice the basics. The next time I went out it was about 6-8 which helped me increase my skills and then I started looking for days when the winds were 10+ because I had the basics down and wanted to advance.

Windsurfing has all but vanished even though these new boards do make it easier to learn. The problem is that it is a sport that requires strength and fitness to master. That limits the potential market which shrinks every year with our National waistline increasing. I would love to see a resurgence. I still have my Alpha 180 and my Klepper sinker board. I do not use them too often because of time restraints but may take the smaller board with us when we go perm cruising in a few years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
lessons , ohio , windsurfing