Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012

cthoops is on a distinguished road
Still flying high (and rocking) after ASA 101

Mr. Cthoops and I wrapped up our ASA 101 course yesterday, and we agreed that it was an amazing experience - worth every penny. We had completed 7 out of 8 Sundays on a 9' Dyer Dhow in a community sailing course first (tomorrow is the last day for that) and that experience definitely helped as far as familiarity with the concepts, etc.

After we passed our test yesterday our instructor said we could sail as much as we wanted to, on our own, for the rest of the day so we took her (a 20' Bristol) out for about four hours. I was a bit nervous about leaving the security blanket of the instructor behind, but I knew I needed to get shoved out of the nest and spread my wings to fly eventually.

We sailed in the more sheltered area of the bay for a while until we relaxed a bit, and then we hove-to and had lunch. So cool! That heave-to is like magic! Love it! Anyway, after lunch we went out a bit farther and had a great time.

When we were unsure of what to do we took the conservative option (our instructor later confirmed that was the right thing to do), and the mistakes we made won't be made again - no doubt they will be replaced by others. I think the classic was as we were motoring up to the dock and our instructor (who was observing from the dock) called out, "Where are your fenders?" Oops! Won't do that again!

Anyway, it was a fabulous three days! We have 16 hours of practice time on the boat coming our way, and we're looking forward to learning more (and increasing our confidence) with each sail. I have no idea how I'm going to concentrate at work on Monday, but maybe by then the sensation of bobbing on a boat will have disappeared.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Still flying high (and rocking) after ASA 101

Congrats! sounds like you are having fun and thats what it is all about. about the fenders, you will forget again. and not a big deal but please do not forget to remove the fenders when you go out. nothing says I have no clue more than sailing with your fenders out.
Old 06-09-2012

cthoops is on a distinguished road

LOL. Well, I'll reluctantly admit that we had been out for a few minutes before we remembered that we needed to bring them into the boat.

I know, I know - newbies.
Old 06-09-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Hove-to - one of my favorite positions. Well, that could be misconstrued.

That sounds like a great experience. Get lots more before taking the next level.

Remember that "success teachers nothing."
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)