Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Looks good, how well will she sail?

ketch rigged boats can use a number of different sail plans including main and jib and mizzen and yankee and other lovelies that look great and catch a lot of wind. is in the knowledge of how to sail a 2 masted boat and the sail plan included.
personally, i dont but rarely use my main sail--i prefer to use jib and mizzen for cruising....daysails are different--there is probably a main sail but the seller is preferring to show sans main and with the other alternatives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Lovely boat and it has a pedigree. I just couldn't imagine buying a boat like that unless I had another 500K set aside to put everything right and keep it up afterwards. Everything on a boat that big and complex is going to cost serious money. How much would a new set of sails cost? New roller furling? Overhauling or replacing the electric winches? New rigging? New decks? New electronics? Engine overhauls or replacements? Wiring? Plumbing? Varnish job? And the list goes on and on. If the boat needs just a few of the above you will be into serious money, and that's before you even start looking for trouble. The price suggests there will be some "deferred maintenance" on this boat. Still, it's a real beauty.
Old 06-10-2012

leogallant is on a distinguished road
Can't speak to how she sails, but that is one flippin' sweet boat! I can see why you're drawn to her!

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog

Old 06-10-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The underbody and keel look fine to me. Perhaps not a modern racer, but there is noting wrong with that keel.

The biggest hindrance to light wind sailing however is going to be those two fixed props. Adding two feathering props to her (guesstimate of $3,000) would probably add .75 to 1kn at slow speeds to her sailing performance.
Old 06-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The underbody and keel look fine to me. Perhaps not a modern racer, but there is noting wrong with that keel.

The biggest hindrance to light wind sailing however is going to be those two fixed props. Adding two feathering props to her (guesstimate of $3,000) would probably add .75 to 1kn at slow speeds to her sailing performance.
Agree with everything but the price - it's a 60 footer. Feathering props for it will be over $3K EACH. Even folders will be getting there.

Edit: Just reread the ad - it has contra-rotating hydraulic feathering props - about as nice a setup as there is.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 06-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2012

Shamanic Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Hi Puddinlegs,
I can see her today, and if you want to join me that would be great. She is in Shilsole Marina on 5265 Shilsole Ave N. W. I am in Bellingham and I would be at the boat before noon. My phone is 707 273 2720. My name is Sam. Thanks
Old 06-10-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Evaluating Keel and hull for Sailing Performance

Base SA/disp is about 14-1. So frankly for around here in puget sound, you WILL motor a lot! With our less than 10knot days, unless that boat can get on a major diet and get her to around 60K lbs, she will not be quick. As a comparison, if you have heard of and know Neptunes Carr, an SC72, IIRC disp for her is in the 20K lb range, and is 10' longer. That boat has been in the mid 20 knot range doing some heavy wind down wind runs locally.

Will it be a comfortable boat to live one, cruise elsewhere? I believe it would be, especially if you can get her in the trade winds where it is constant 15-25 knots. Then she will show her stuff. But a less than 5 knot day on lake union..........if it moves I would be VERY surprised!

As far as pointing etc, she will not be the best. That fin would need to be shortened in length, and add another 2-3' to the draft. Or if she had a cb, that would make here even cooler. Pull up for shallow area's, drop to 10' so you can point etc......best of both worlds!

Frankly, not my style of boat. she is pretty etc. I like boats with SA/Disp in the low 20-1 range. Did not figure out some of the other ratios folks use, disp/wl is probably in the upper 200 to low 300 range, vs the Carr in the mid to low 100 range as a comparison. My boat is 180, would prefer a bit lighter, but the 24-1 sa/disp I have keeps me going when I sail locally in 3-6 knot wind days. Those 40 yr old sails, frankly are probably shot from a performance stand point, or are at least on there last legs. Otherwise, the boat looks nice.

Marty
Old 06-10-2012

Shamanic Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

These responses are helping me see what I would be getting into here. The obvious aspect that I need to look at is not her sailing performance after all, but rather the costs of ownership. Thank You all for helping illuminate that most important issue and resolve some of the issues concerning her hull and keel and her sailing performance.
Old 06-10-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Did not realize you had two threads re this boat.
Mod's note... merged the two now...(Faster)

I think I have seen it at the end of a dock. Looks ok, BUT, as I pointed out in your other thread, with a 14-1 sa/disp, you will motor a LOT here in puget sound! those 40 yr old sails are shot! so figure another mid 6 figure number for sails...........if you can lose about 20-30K lbs of wt, she would sail better. But as Mark points out, for around here, the SC70 would be the better boat, cheaper etc.

Take a look and see.

Marty

Last edited by Faster; 06-10-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Did not realize you had two threads re this boat. I think I have seen it at the end of a dock. Looks ok, BUT, as I pointed out in your other thread, with a 14-1 sa/disp, you will motor a LOT here in puget sound! those 40 yr old sails are shot! so figure another mid 6 figure number for sails...........if you can lose about 20-30K lbs of wt, she would sail better. But as Mark points out, for around here, the SC70 would be the better boat, cheaper etc.

Take a look and see. Marty
Those would be SOME sails! I think 5 figures would be more likely. I sure agree that it isn't the most appropriate boat for sailing around here. Sure looks like a comfortable liveaboard though. The fact that the sails are so old indicates the boat spends a LOT of time under power - how many hours on the engines?

Edit: just reread the ad and saw 4K hours. That's probably more than 1/2 the life of those Perkins - BEST case.

You better have a LOT of money to update and operate that thing. It'll cost $3500 just to gas it up. The teak decks look like they are finished as well - if you can see the flaws in a photo, they have to be pretty bad - that would be major $$$ even if you just stripped them off and painted the deck.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 06-10-2012 at 01:11 PM.