Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Looks good, how well will she sail?

sloop, yes you are right, mid 5 figures! finners and brain are not working yet this morning!

Some stronger lighter wt mylar based sails would help in lighter winds for this rig too, but that might start pushing the upper 5 figure range!

Marty
Old 06-10-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Evaluating Keel and hull for Sailing Performance

It depends what you are looking for. As Marty said not the best in light airs but if the plan is for offshore it looks like a winner. The underbody is not extreme in either the light or heavy direction, not unlike many good offshore boats. Should do well under power as well with twin diesels. Looks like she would be a comfortable boat to weather, as opposed to many lightweights. Excellent build quality also. Lot of boat though.
Attached Thumbnails
Looks good, how well will she sail?-img_2224.jpg   Looks good, how well will she sail?-img_2279.jpg   Looks good, how well will she sail?-img_2295.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012

wallabycreek is on a distinguished road

I have personally sailed 100,000 sea miles. I love that boat. She would go anywhere in any weather. For me upwind speed is not even any consideration at all. I strongly suggest that you do not buy her and then start chopping her around. She looks to be a great boat. Take her for a run around the world and enjoy her for what she is. Read the "Around The World Sailing Guide" on kindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

World-famous builder and outfitters.... full on yacht; that's a lot of boat. On the other hand the relatively low price (even considering she's a bit of a one-off) make me wonder what might be 'wrong' with her....

One thing for sure, with all that electric driven gear the generator better be in good shape and well insulated for sound.

Heavy and slow in light air, solid and seriously offshore otherwise, I'd say. Just looks 'too good to be true' so eyes wide open if you proceed.
copacabana likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-10-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Honestly, you could buy an SC 52 in much better condition, pay 380 k - 500 k and still come way out ahead financially, not to mention having a killer fast boat.
Old 06-10-2012

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

Nice looking boat. The cut away forefoot is a good compromise between a full and fin keel - not as fast as some and a conservative SA/displ means it would be a bit slow in the light. It would handle blue water well though.
Although it looks good, I agree with the others the maintenance costs would be very high. Still if you have 7 kids and 2 wives and 50K pa to set aside for the boat, could be great.
Do you need a boat that size?
Old 06-10-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Your post questioning this boat's sailing qualities doesn't give us the information we need to answer it properly. What are you buying it for? A liveaboard on Lake Union? Might be great. 'Round the world, short-handed, in the Trades - looks like that's what she was designed to do. Mid-week 'round the buoys racing in Puget Sound? Not so much. There are some red flags in the listing that suggest some expensive issues besides the teak decks. If the boat is aluminum, why are they having trouble with gelcoat blisters? Several of the photos refer to gelcoat repairs in the topsides and elsewhare. If the aluminum was fiberglassed over (Why 'glass over aluminum?? Was it leaking because of electrolysis??) and there are now blisters in various places, delamination is likely happening all over the boat where salt water has gotten in and where the fiberglass is keeping it snug up to the aluminum... This boat is a handful. Do you expect to have paid hands, or do you have four children who enjoy learning yacht maintenance?
Old 06-11-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

About 9pm local, ie seattle time, did the OP look at the boat today?

Nice sunny day now that CD is not in the area! (could not resist)

Oh yeah, that gray/silver SC 70 pudding referred to, That be neptunes carr! I referred too! I guess some sorta kinda great minds thunk the same!

Marty
Old 06-11-2012

Shamanic Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Thank You all for your advice on the 60 ft Laurent Giles money vacuum I asked about. I think she is a beautiful cruiser , and most people seem to agree that she would sail well with some good wind, but the price per knot of fun seems to be growing bigger with every response I have received, so I am going to keep looking, probably for something not so grandiose, maybe settle on a high quality production cruiser.
Old 06-11-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

What do you want to do with the boat you buy? And do you really need a 60' boat?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.