Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emoney

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012

papasailor is on a distinguished road
General advice selling stuff

Hi, It's been a long time since I logged into Sailnet. I own a Catalina 30 and today was one of the two best days. Yeah, I took a deposit for it's purchase. No, it's not a formal contract, just a handshake. The written, purchase offer will follow.

Obviously, I wanted to get more for the boat but I realize it's a buyer's market. Anyhow, we agreed on a price with the following conditions:

He only plans to cruise and doesn't need my spinnaker, spinnaker pole, masthead bail/crane, brand new sheets, halyard, etc. I'd say something like "what's the best way to sell this stuff" but my post ends up being a "for sale" ad.

Next, I have a trailer which I built myself out of my cradle. It is a storage trailer, no brakes, no suspension and not for long distance transportation. (I used it to go 1 1/2 miles from my house to marina). The buyer doesn't need the trailer. A local guy who is on stands, wants to buy my trailer but where can I get a cradle and will it cost me more than whatever I get for the trailer? It would be nice to find someone with a cradle and make a deal that puts a few bucks in my pocket.

There is some other stuff such as the Garhauler adjustable genoa car system that I'd like to sell too. If I can make up part of the purchase price with the sale of trailer, spinnaker, etc, I won't feel as if I gave my boat away.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2012

Re: General advice selling stuff

Oh yeah, I have a Martec 14D . 12P propeller, Maybe someone wants to trade up from a regular fixed two blade.
Old 06-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The various 'craigslists', 'Kijiji' and similar sites are probably the best way to market that kind of stuff locally.

Beyond that posting on notice boards and marine stores and marinas that allow such ads should work well too.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-10-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

I generally look on Craigslist for used boating stuff as well as other I know....Where are you located, this post may help you sell stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 06-11-2012

Whoops, I thought I put my location in there. I'm in West Michigan.
Old 06-11-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

There are Catalina 30 forums and you could do well on those.

my current "project"!
Old 06-11-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

Put it on Evilbay and be done with it. I've sold stuff on CL and Ebay and I've got to say,
as much as I hate to admit it, the Ebay route was the easiest, most hassle-free. Craigslist,
while a great platform, draws in the scammers and the crazies from all over. Oh, there's
great people on there as well, but sometimes I wonder if they're not outnumbered by the
"others". Best of luck.
msmith10 likes this.
Old 06-11-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
I've got so frustrated with the scammers on Craigslist I started going for their requests, the one where they send you a fake check FedEx. Then just tell them I'll send the money back when the check totally clears.
The emails I have gotten from them have been pretty funny.
Old 06-12-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

And they're persistent, too, aren't they? I've gone so far as to send back an email saying
something like, "Well, ok as long as you aren't one of those scammers who (x)" and they
STILL try to get you to fall for it. I worry about how many people actually do fall victim
to those?