SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Who went Sailing on Saturday? "Pictures"

4K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  ltgoshen 
#1 ·
What a great day on the water. We had a s-se wind at 7 to 10 most of the day. A good friend is going back to Afghanistan this week, He wanted to go sailing so We took him for a 5 hour run. We had a broad reach most of the day. Crossing port Royal sound We had Hilton-Head Island in sight, when we turned back toward Beaufort. Not long after the turn, the wind changed and we went Wing on Wing for over an hour. Just a great day. Here is a small 45 second video form the trip.
If you went out sailing this weekend please share a little of your story and some photos.

See ya on the Breeze

#3 ·
For some reason, every time I take this one particular guy sailing ( an ex-racer extraordinaire), something happens to the jib. Last year I took the jib to the loft and they looked it over, did some repairs and said all is well.
Well, unfurled the jib, it filled beautifully and then suddenly sagged. WTF? I'm yelling from the helm, "What the hell is wrong with the jib? It looks like it isn't fully hoisted."
Crew dilly dallies a bit and I hear, "The head of the sail is torn!"
Damnit.
I furled it up and we went under main alone. Turns out, the webbing went. I spent two more days trying to get the damned halyard down. I taped some stiff rope to the main halyard, tied a slip knot with a loop and managed to lasso it and haul it down. Once the loft is done with my sail, I'm back in business.
No photos, but lots of swearing.

#4 ·
Went for a nice sail, started out with a bit of a breeze, maybe 5 or 6 knots, then calmed right down. Ended up the far end of James island, narrowly avoided a bit of a gentle grounding (always nice to be able to actually see the shells on the bottom with the depth indicating showing a couple of inches below the keel). Motored for a bit then I decided to throw the jib back up. Wind picked about 5 minutes later to 12-15knots so we roared around for another couple of hours. Came across a Mac 26x (or whatever those newer ones are) that was out enjoying themselves under sail so I tacked across to them to say hi. Apologies for the Mac skipper for being able to pass and pull away so quickly on every point of sail, hopefully the lady on your boat didn't think too badly of you ;) ). Was nice to actually see one of them out under sail and not making a complete hash of it to be fair. Will find a photo later taken from a webcam on BigWaveDave's site, that was pretty fun.

#7 ·
Not on Saturday, does Friday count? I had a great sail. We used just our new(to us) drifter as the wind was very light. We used this sail until the Tall Ships arrived, then we motored to have better control of the boat while the fleet came by. Our new drifter moved us quite well. 3.5 knots with only 5-6 knots of breeze...I like it! Best Wishes and a safe return to your buddy headed to the Stan, I just got back on the 1st!

Attachments

#10 ·
Here is a view of our trip Saturday. We did see one other sailboat in
the Sound around 2 nm off to our west, closer to the Atlantic. It was
a great day for sailing. I can't wait to go again "Chris" my friend is
going back to the camp in Afghanistan today. He will be missed. I let
him know what you said. He said it means a lot to have people still
say it. He said the war has been going on for so long now that most
people don't realize that people are still dying. He asked me to
tell you thank you from his heart!!!;)here was our trip:

#12 ·
We had a nice sail Saturday with unexpected sunshine, but lightish winds. Each year we auction a 'day on the water' as a fund raiser for my wife's preschool. We had two couples as guests, none experienced sailors.

They seemed a thirsty bunch, but all went well. We beat slowly out of English Bay, and managed to get the A sail up for a nice quick reach to our planned anchorage for a late lunch. It turned calm so we motored back in the evening.

Part way back a guest came out or the head, after which it was thoroughly plugged. The head had been well used by these four, and of course I thought it was something flushed by them unknowingly.. Long (smelly) story short as it turns out one of the discharge hoses had slowly been plugging, and the extra usage put it over the top.

This was actually good news, as we were in port and able to fix it - had we not done this particular daytrip, we'd have likely ended up bunged up within days of our summer cruise - who knows where!:eek:

#15 ·
Nice shots John... Are you heading all the way up the west side?

#16 ·
Naw, we want to go to an old homestead garden (Cougar Annie- book) in Hesquiat Hbr. Need to be back to our island before the 1st of July, just a short trip, then Desolation later in July. Hope to cross paths with you.

#21 ·
Kathy and I headed out Sunday morning around 9:30 with our friend Bill. With an east/northeast wind we broad reached down Barnegat Bay in 15 knot winds, the remnants of a storm from the night before.

Just off the red 44 mark I found an uncharted sand bar and had that sinking feeling all Bay sailors get when they suddenly see negative numbers on the sounder :eek:

But just a little bump that no one else noticed and we were reading seven feet again :p

We skirted along Conklin Island and tacked back up the bay breaking out the munchies. About then I got a call from Paul, he was heading out along with Kristen, Randy and Pearson the sailing dog. We met them mid-bay and we all tacked to sail alongside for some pictures of the three boats and a little conversation. We finally broke off and beam reached back up to Forked River and put in around 2pm to let Bill head home.

Beers on Paul's boat rounded out a pretty pleasant Sunday.

#24 ·
Hosed down the boat Sunday morning for an afternoon sail. Noticed a hole in the sail cover. Removed the sail cover and noticed some brown stains and holes in the mainsail. Dang! 5 panels had holes chewed through them. Diagnosis was a squirrel decided to use the mainsail as a birthing sanctuary and had difficulty getting out so decided to chew its way out. All that remained was the small new-born squirrel cadaver shown in the pic. It was the original mainsail, but it worked fine for me.:mad:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.