Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sailing on a 1920's Alden Schooner

'Voyager' has always pulled at my heart. When I was a teenager, she was hauled out at Consolidated Yacht Yard on City Island and the yard was threatening to sell her for a past due the yard bill at the time. The watchman took me aboard her. She had done picket duty in WWII and so was still painted naval gray down below decks, and still had the steel racks where here radio and listening station had been located. Later I remember seeing her underway on the Sound and once went over to a small marina on the Hudson where she was tied up just to see her. There was something about her that was irresistable to me at the time and which has left an indelible image ever since.

Aage Nielsen was a master when it came to modeling a hull. Charlie Wittholz, who I worked for in the early 1980's, was assigned to Aage Nielson at Alden and spoke of Nielson reverentially. Alden's designs always reflected the chief designer on the project. Aage's work has a certain distuinguishable solidity of form and delicacy in modeling.

Some of the best designers of that era worked in the Alden's office, guys like Fenwick Williams and a young George Stadel and most added their own skill and eye to the project. Even Starling Burgess did brief stint during the depression. On the flip side, I never much liked what came out when Carl Alberg was the chief designer. His designs tended to be too full in the bow and too pinched in the run. The one exception to that was the 1939 Malabar Junior, which is another design which is near and dear to my heart.

Jeff
FishSticks likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook