Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Hoax distress call

If congress won't fund equipment for fraud detection then maybe the coast guard needs to implement procedural processes to weed out calls like these. A veting process that causes the caller to provided identifying and verifiable information before calling out the whole shebang.
In this case with 21 people (souls?) onboard it surely sounds like it would have to be a commercial operation and easily verfied in a timely manner.
Of course, I would not like to be the guy that has to decide true emergency or hoax.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Len-
What, scrap all the pre-dsc vhfs out there? I'm not throwing mine out, they work too well. And all a hozer would need to do is buy an old one at a flea market, the USCG can't ignore distress calls no matter how they come in. They've been spanked for failing to respond before.

cc-
There is in fact a rather large charter yacht of the name given, with a crew of ten and accomodations for 10 passengers in luxury staterooms. So, the unlikely "yacht with 21" in fact becomes very close to a real vessel. Trying to reach a charter broker, the reach the boat, then confirm...all take time. With a real explosion and foundering, you've still got to dispatch SAR without delay. And even then, you can't be sure if you've checked with ALL possible vessels of that name.

Is it only me that thinks a distress call coming in on VHF14 is odd though?
Old 06-13-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

One of my gripes with Coast Guard Radio procedure is that they will give Lat/Lon instead of geographic area. If they were to call out a geographic area first, then give Lat/Lon, I think it would help perk more ears to pay attention (because it's in your neck of the woods".
davidpm, Bilgewater and Capt Len like this.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-13-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

One of the news channels the other day played the distress call. The caller sounded very professional and calm for the supposed accident. I hope they can use the voice recording to ID the person. Also on other distress calls that I've overheard in real time, the CG is asking a lot of questions which I always thought would hinder the captain in taking necessary action. I did not hear any questions from the CG in the recording, but assume there was 2 way communication and info given no matter how bogus which may provide some sort of clue to the idenity.
Old 06-13-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
One of my gripes with Coast Guard Radio procedure is that they will give Lat/Lon instead of geographic area. If they were to call out a geographic area first, then give Lat/Lon, I think it would help perk more ears to pay attention (because it's in your neck of the woods".
I have been in the Coast Guard Victoria communications centre. With their screens they can point a lat/long very fast. I would like to hear the geographic position myself as well.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-13-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

In Canada every tour, whale watcher and commercial vessel already has a DSC radio and GPS info input built in. I still have my older set operational as a backup. I agree with the problems in effectiveness and 'the need to respond 'of my suggestion but I assume you agree with the gene pool comment. Nearly every weekend I hear USCG asking boaters if they did or didn't receive 'help' calls to narrow down locale. If every keying of mic included an information burp it wouldn't take long for CG to playback questionable calls to assist in its quest. Think of dial phones. (gone)
Old 06-13-2012
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I would suggest that this is a good time for sailors to make a little noise in an effort to help the USCG with this problem.
HS - Are you talking about The USCG's Rescue 21?

I believe it is in place all around NY.

http://www.gdc4s.com/documents/R21-3N-0312w.pdf

SBCC Web -- Schedule

They may have outsmartted the system by using Channel 14 to make the distress call, however. I can't find info if that channel is RDF'd

What an incredible waste
Old 06-14-2012
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

Update - It does appear that they have RDF info
Old 06-14-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Thank you, Ottos! Yes, that was the system and last time I had heard, it had been shot down "again" and wasn't being deployed. It certainly looks like it is up 100% now, or damned close to it.
Old 06-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thank you, Ottos! Yes, that was the system and last time I had heard, it had been shot down "again" and wasn't being deployed. It certainly looks like it is up 100% now, or damned close to it.
It has been up and running for a couple of years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne