Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road
On a hook? (boat storage Florida) locals help ?!

So after a few weeks of looking at a lot of boats and still waiting to buy i'm not jumping into the water just yet.
The main thing holding me back is keeping the boat. As in where. I mentioned in one of my previous posts i'm just an average working class joe.
The members chimed in and helped me get close in choosing what kind of boat I might buy. I am almost sold on the "trailersailor" concept but after talking to some of the people selling the boats I've looked at (who want to sell) all said the same thing. It could kill your drive to sail and you'll be selling the boat. It did for a lot of them.
So I hit the internet and start checking out marinas etc,($400 a mo.),(your kidding right). I can not seem to find info on (moorings) I have not covered it all yet and my next plan is to go to a few local sail shops and boatyards and talk to people in person to get better info.
(Internet lacking info, first time for me :P)
So before the weekend comes around and I embark on an info journey I'd like to ask locals or people that sail to Florida about where to keep the boat moored in the Ft.Pierce,Stuart,Jensen area, or further.
In Riviera beach Fl they have the Lake Worth lagoon where people keep their boats (international water i'm told). This is too far really for me.
Any place like this in the treasure coast area (I can not find any online).
I've also been told by members of dry slips where they'll drop her in the dunk for you however I can not find any of these in my area.
I'm even looking for listings of people who have docks on inter coastal and local rivers with docks that have been empty for the last three years I have been fishing in my area but I can't find these either. I really won't start knocking on doors. Leave a note perhaps
Trying to keep Trailer sailing as a last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: On a hook? (boat storage Florida) locals help ?!

Depending on the size of boat you're talking about, $400 a month is actually a very reasonable price for dockage in a marina.

Trailer sailing can kill your interest if the trailering, rigging, and readying the boat for sailing is too much work (and, of course, you have all the same work in reverse at the end of the day). The problem is that too many folks (especially newbies--I did this myself 30 years ago) try to find the very biggest trailer boat that they can manage. What they should be doing (what I eventually did) is to look for the very smallest boat that will serve their needs. The smaller the trailersailer, the easier and faster it is to tow, rig, and get going. Easier also at the end of the day to ready for the tow home. And usually cheaper/easier to store, too.

As for places to keep a boat in the water, I'm not familiar with the east coast of Florida, but over here in the Tampa Bay area you can find listings on craigslist almost every week from people who live on the water and have a dock in their backyard that they aren't using. These typically go for 1/2 to 2/3rds of the cost of a marina slip. So I would say watch craigslist.

Other than that, it is a matter of finding places where you would be able to anchor for free, or find a mooring for a reasonable price. Can't really help you there.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I am very lucky that here on the LIS moorings are common and allow good access to sailing

No matter were your trying to do this in the USA the better the areas access to sailing and NOT motoring 1 hour out and 1 hour in is going to affect the price

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Salty, there's a reason they call SE Florida the Treasure Coast or Gold Coast. If you're rich you don't care, if you're poor you be quiet and toe the line. If you're middle-class you're ruining it for everyone, go back north and stop making trouble. See, you just have to know which group you're in, then behave appropriately.

Yes, dockage costs a bundle and if you don't want to spend an hour at no-wake-idle speed getting to the ocean it will cost even more. A short couple of years ago I heard something like there are 55,000 boats in the Broward/Dade area with 35,000 slips and moorings, that certainly keeps the prices up.

It is what it is, look at the classifieds and ask around at the chandleries, but for "reasonable" you may have to go a couple of hours north up the coast.
Old 06-14-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

On Craigslist, you should be able to find private dockage for roughly 11$/ft/month.
Here near Tallahassee, one marina is advertising slips for $100/month. Around here, most slips are about $250/month.
If I was you, I'd buy a trailer sailor at the upper end of the size range. That way you could keep her in the water most of the time but if the cost began to bother you haul her out and keep her on the trailer until that gets to be a hassle and then back in the water to a dock she goes. Your Trailer will allow you to sail in more places than non-trailerable boats.
Old 06-15-2012

Thx all for the responses. It's also a matter of not wanting to pay a slip fee of 300-400 a mo. for a 2500 boat i plan to camper/cruise in for at most 3-4 days a month.
Old 06-15-2012
Fishin' from a Sailboat

HarborRat is on a distinguished road

I'm on the west coast of FL and just bought a trailer-sailor. I have a slip behind my house but there is one bridge to the harbor/gulf, so if I ever wanted to bring it home by water it needed a folding mast. The harbor can get shallow in some areas on the way to the gulf, so a swing keel appealed to me. If I need to bottom paint or do maintenance I can trailer it to my driveway. I'm going to learn to sail on her, and will probably beat it up a bit so I wanted something cheap.

So, I decided on a "trailer-sailor" for more than just $$ and storage reasons. If I find that I LOVE sailing but hate the rigging I can then at least justify getting a bigger boat and pay for "storage", haul outs, bottom cleanings etc. If I decide sailing is not for me, no big deal. A boat on a trailer is MUCH easier to sell than a moored neglected boat with barnacles on the bottom.

I got a great deal on the boat, much less than what you want to spend...I figure I can learn to sail, beat the hell out of it and then STILL double my money when it comes time to sell, whether that be next week or in 10 years. I like to start small and work my way up, making money on the way.

FWIW, it takes me a few minutes tops to put up the mast, another 30 seconds to drop the keel. Fiddling with the sails can be a bit of a pain but really, how much extra time does it take to be ready to sail than on a moored boat? And if you do decide the trailering/rigging is too much work you can still moor/dock it....but at least you have a trailer to get it out to work on, or if a storm is coming. You think $400 a month is a lot? Wait till you ask them to haul the boat out for you with the crane, and put it back in....with a hurricane coming and everyone trying to get pulled out on the same day.

Like Frog said above a trailer will allow you to sail in different places. If I decide I want to check out Tampa bay or wherever, no problem, just trailer it up there. It would take 2 days to get there by sail And the Keys........yeah, i will be trailering it down there!

Last edited by HarborRat; 06-15-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road

I am with the trailer people

I am a freelance hack and frequently run out of money

so being able to bring the boat home means that I can kill all sailing costs stone dead withut selling the boat

small is great

for years I had a 15 foot 5 trailer sailer with a great roller trailer

it would pick the boat up off the ground and from the water without getti ng the weels wet

I towed it behind a 1600cc car

you could sleep in it at campsides or beside the road

buy small, tow small.

A boom tent can increase the space most wonderfully

and

when you come to upgrade selling a trailer sailer is so easy

Dylan

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 06-15-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2012

Great little video. Thank You for sharing it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.