SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Eastern Long Island (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/88595-eastern-long-island.html)

Minnewaska 06-14-2012 07:49 AM

Eastern Long Island

Thinking of exploring around Shelter Island, Sag Harbor, Greenport, etc. I've spent a lot of time, many years ago, in Montauk and have been to Sag, but have never gone ashore on Shelter or others.

Any tips or recommendations appreciated. We like everything from secluded quiet to a nice restaurant and some activity.

JimsCAL 06-14-2012 08:15 AM

Re: Eastern Long Island

The Shelter Island area is great. We've circled it a couple of times, stopping off a different spots for the night. Greenport is a nice town with good restaurants and a classic marine store (Preston's) that is fun to explore. The new town marina is a good place to spend the night. You can also get a mooring in Deering Harbor across the way and take the ferry to Greenport. Coecle's Harbor on the east side of the Island is a popular spot to drop the hook (with good reason). A narrow channel in so watch the charts carefully. Haven't been to Sag Harbor in quite a number of years, so can't comment on the current situation there.

tommays 06-14-2012 08:31 AM

Its tough to get a big boat in most of the nice places without mucho planing

FWIW when we also has the 20' powerboat it was tough to even drop into Sag Harbor for lunch without spending more docking than a high end lunch cost :)

Up at Port of Egypt there are some slips while you dine but again your boat is to big

I like to anchor out in the federal area by Rams Head on the east side of the Island

The southside by the south ferry is my favorite just have to be careful with the draft and i used go all the way up into West Neck Bay BUT that was and draft event even with the J24

BarryL 06-14-2012 11:20 AM

Hey,

There is a very good cruising guide for Peconic bay here:
The Boater's Cruising Guide for Eastern Long Island, NY

I have personally been to Orient, Greenport, Shelter Island, and a few others. Do Not go to Orient By The Sea. The people are very nice but the place is tiny and I could barely turn my 35' around. In Greeport I like the Townsend Manor Inn. The marina is small but walking distance to town. The harbor (stirling basin) is quiet, unlike the town marina (which is nice, but exposed and affected by the ferry).

Good luck,
Barry

Good luck,
Barry

Bene505 06-14-2012 12:08 PM

We did Shelter Island a few years ago. 6 foot draft, no issues. But then we stayed at the more remote places, not the harbor up by Greenport.

We picked up a mooring in Sag Harbor for $150 for the night, on that same trip. Watch the chart carefully at Sag and getting into Coecles harbor (really more of a beautiful lake than a harbor). Coecles had a dredged channel that's narrow, but no issues. (I think there's also a rock east of the approach to the channel that locals marked with floating plastic bottles -- at least that's what I guessed it was as I stayed away from it.)

Regards,
Brad

Minnewaska 06-14-2012 12:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming, if any other advice.

Just for clarification, we favor being at a mooring rather than a slip. Anchoring is standard for us too, as long as holding is sound and it isn't too crowded. I always want to have an anchorage in my hip pocket, as I dislike making reservations and having deadlines.

Minnewaska 06-14-2012 12:48 PM

We have a 6.5ft draft.

misfits 06-14-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bene505 (Post 884720)
We picked up a mooring in Sag Harbor for $150 for the night, on that same trip.

Wow, 150 bucks for a mooring, that's criminal...

Minnewaska 06-14-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL (Post 884695)
Hey,

There is a very good cruising guide for Peconic bay here:
The Boater's Cruising Guide for Eastern Long Island, NY

Excellent site. Thank you.

tweitz 06-15-2012 08:02 AM

Eastern Long Island

We are based in Three Mile Harbor, also an excellent stop with some good restaurants. East Hampton Point has a dinghy dock. There is a new restaurant at the former Boat House at Harbor Marina. Coecles is beautiful. The only restaurant that is convenient is Rams Head Inn, but that was very nice a couple of years ago, and I believe it has a beach for dinghies. Sag Harbor is expensive, but has a wonderful town right near the main pier, and a great assortment of interesting boats and super yachts.