Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Eastern Long Island

Thinking of exploring around Shelter Island, Sag Harbor, Greenport, etc. I've spent a lot of time, many years ago, in Montauk and have been to Sag, but have never gone ashore on Shelter or others.

Any tips or recommendations appreciated. We like everything from secluded quiet to a nice restaurant and some activity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Eastern Long Island

The Shelter Island area is great. We've circled it a couple of times, stopping off a different spots for the night. Greenport is a nice town with good restaurants and a classic marine store (Preston's) that is fun to explore. The new town marina is a good place to spend the night. You can also get a mooring in Deering Harbor across the way and take the ferry to Greenport. Coecle's Harbor on the east side of the Island is a popular spot to drop the hook (with good reason). A narrow channel in so watch the charts carefully. Haven't been to Sag Harbor in quite a number of years, so can't comment on the current situation there.
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 06-14-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Its tough to get a big boat in most of the nice places without mucho planing

FWIW when we also has the 20' powerboat it was tough to even drop into Sag Harbor for lunch without spending more docking than a high end lunch cost

Up at Port of Egypt there are some slips while you dine but again your boat is to big

I like to anchor out in the federal area by Rams Head on the east side of the Island

The southside by the south ferry is my favorite just have to be careful with the draft and i used go all the way up into West Neck Bay BUT that was and draft event even with the J24
Minnewaska likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-14-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

There is a very good cruising guide for Peconic bay here:
The Boater's Cruising Guide for Eastern Long Island, NY

I have personally been to Orient, Greenport, Shelter Island, and a few others. Do Not go to Orient By The Sea. The people are very nice but the place is tiny and I could barely turn my 35' around. In Greeport I like the Townsend Manor Inn. The marina is small but walking distance to town. The harbor (stirling basin) is quiet, unlike the town marina (which is nice, but exposed and affected by the ferry).

Good luck,
Barry

Good luck,
Barry
Minnewaska likes this.

Old 06-14-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

We did Shelter Island a few years ago. 6 foot draft, no issues. But then we stayed at the more remote places, not the harbor up by Greenport.

We picked up a mooring in Sag Harbor for $150 for the night, on that same trip. Watch the chart carefully at Sag and getting into Coecles harbor (really more of a beautiful lake than a harbor). Coecles had a dredged channel that's narrow, but no issues. (I think there's also a rock east of the approach to the channel that locals marked with floating plastic bottles -- at least that's what I guessed it was as I stayed away from it.)

Regards,
Brad
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 06-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming, if any other advice.

Just for clarification, we favor being at a mooring rather than a slip. Anchoring is standard for us too, as long as holding is sound and it isn't too crowded. I always want to have an anchorage in my hip pocket, as I dislike making reservations and having deadlines.
Bene505 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-14-2012

We have a 6.5ft draft.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 06-14-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
We picked up a mooring in Sag Harbor for $150 for the night, on that same trip.
Wow, 150 bucks for a mooring, that's criminal...
Old 06-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

There is a very good cruising guide for Peconic bay here:
The Boater's Cruising Guide for Eastern Long Island, NY
Excellent site. Thank you.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 06-15-2012

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Eastern Long Island

We are based in Three Mile Harbor, also an excellent stop with some good restaurants. East Hampton Point has a dinghy dock. There is a new restaurant at the former Boat House at Harbor Marina. Coecles is beautiful. The only restaurant that is convenient is Rams Head Inn, but that was very nice a couple of years ago, and I believe it has a beach for dinghies. Sag Harbor is expensive, but has a wonderful town right near the main pier, and a great assortment of interesting boats and super yachts.
Minnewaska likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.