Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Re: Navigation Software

Sometimes, when discussion like this comes up, I think I should just shut down Polar Navy - so that I can openly speak about other navigation products But the position requires that I bite my tongue

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2012

mgb69 is on a distinguished road
Navigation Software

C_witch --- I'm intrigued. I'm a big fan of the open source software movement (OpenOffice, Gimp etc)
I'm also on the Canadian East coast (Halifax area). I bought Nav-x and the Canadian maps for the iPhone which works ok for now. But I'd like to have the added functionality of a laptop. What did the chart set cost? I presume the USB antenna you are referring to us a GPS

Mark
Old 06-15-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb69 View Post
C_witch --- I'm intrigued. I'm a big fan of the open source software movement (OpenOffice, Gimp etc)
I'm also on the Canadian East coast (Halifax area). I bought Nav-x and the Canadian maps for the iPhone which works ok for now. But I'd like to have the added functionality of a laptop. What did the chart set cost? I presume the USB antenna you are referring to us a GPS

Mark
Hiee Mark,

Yes the antenna is a gps usb puck. Its a BU-353. The linux version that I run is Mint and it comes with all the daemon (drivers) to speak with the antenna and programs requesting information from it. I don't care for the CHS charts as they are raster and the vector charts are so much nicer when zooming in.
I looked for months and finally found a site with the CM-93 version 2 charts w/o cost. The ones I have are 2010. I can't remember the web site that I got the charts from now. I can tell you the file is massive slightly over 50 giga bytes, but this is the world chart set.
If you plan on using a laptop you should be aware of the power usage it requires. Mine takes 5 amps/hr when awake. I have not as yet been able to figure out the draw with the screen off or when its in suspend mode.
Our boat has a 300 amp hour house bank and all lighting is LED. We use a Humming Bird depth sounder/fishfinder and a Standard Horizon vhf which are on while in motion. We typically only use OpenCPN while navagating into or out of port and if there are coastal dangers while sailing along the coast, other wise it is suspended and we wake it to get a position fix once and hour. Our outboard generates 5 amps so it pretty much takes care of the power requirements into and out of port with minimal drain to the batteries.
We sail out of Petpeswick Inlet by the way. Our home is PYC. In the future we will be adding 180 watts of solar panels to keep the batteries topped up.

c_witch

PS we are the boat in the foreground
Attached Thumbnails
Navigation Software-temporaryslip.jpg  
Old 06-15-2012

mgb69 is on a distinguished road
Navigation Software

Thanks for the info. Few more posts and I'll actually be allowed to see your picture!!!
I'm just running with a single battery on a Mirage 24 - so I don't have the power to keep a laptop up and running for too long.
That said in learning as I get back into sailing, and I may look at that software partially to help with on-shore route planning as I start exploring outside the harbour.
I'm at BBYC in Bedford.
Thx again for the info

Mark
Old 06-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb69 View Post
Thanks for the info. Few more posts and I'll actually be allowed to see your picture!!!
I'm just running with a single battery on a Mirage 24 - so I don't have the power to keep a laptop up and running for too long.
That said in learning as I get back into sailing, and I may look at that software partially to help with on-shore route planning as I start exploring outside the harbour.
I'm at BBYC in Bedford.
Thx again for the info

Mark
Hiee Mark,

Glad to be of whatever help I can be. I am myself getting back into sailing after having been away for a very very long time lol. Our boat is a 22' swing keel. We are also a cruising only boat .

Happy sailing,
c_witch
Attached Thumbnails
Navigation Software-launchready1.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_witch View Post
...I do wish that the program offered a flow thru for the gps info so that we could easily send it to our vhf for the dsc function...
This should be achievable in the operating system, separate from OpenCPN. You can use software to multiplex the incoming GPS signal to two outgoing ports. One goes to OpenCPN, the other goes to a serial port (or a USB-Serial adapter). I have done this in Windows with XPort, not sure what software and drivers would be available for Linux.

However, the problem with this setup is that the computer needs to be on for the VHF to get the GPS coordinates. Ultimately I replaced this setup with a Garmin 18xLVC puck that outputs true NMEA via serial, and spliced the wires to feed the NMEA to my radio and computer. This way the radio gets the coordinates even if my computer runs out of juice.

FWIW, one other thing that OpenCPN does that no ordinary chart plotter can do is to run two instances in side-by-side windows. I do this, with one window zoomed in to see detailed features, and the second window zoomed out to see AIS traffic coming from miles away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-17-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by milutin View Post
chart navigatror pro can do it, long before in ocpn even tought about it....i wish that ocpn is half good as chart navigator pro.
I never said it doesn't split screens. I was saying that a turnkey chartplotter, like you would buy from Garmin, Raymarine, or Standard Horizon, cannot split screens. Chart Navigator Pro is computer software.

For $500, I would expect that it leaves OpenCPN in the dust. For a free program, OpenCPN does a very nice job.
Familycruisers likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 06-17-2012

Quote:
opencpn is for people who would eat **** if they can get it for free. if they start charging you even 10 pounds or dollars for each download 99% of you would start rant like ocpn is ****, rubbish, not good, not worth single penny...
You're going to make lots of friends here with an attitude like that.

What is your purpose in insulting those who don't want or can't afford to pay $500 for a PC chart plotter program like you did? Or do you have bootleg copy of it?

Old 06-18-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
opencpn is for people who would eat **** if they can get it for free. if they start charging you even 10 pounds or dollars for each download 99% of you would start rant like ocpn is ****, rubbish, not good, not worth single penny...
Now you just sound like a shill for Chart Navigator Pro.

This sort of petty, ranting nonsense only makes me all the more certain that OpenCPN is the right choice for me.
Old 06-18-2012

I think he's just flamer trying to incite trouble or maybe not even a sailor with nothing better to do with his time.

c_witch