Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Navigation Software

I absolutely agree with Donna. I am not and do not want to be a computer guy in order to figure out how to operate a program. After working with Sea Clear and the mess you have to go through to get it to recognize the charts, etc., I pretty much decided to get along with my Garmin GSPMAP 76, but then the chart updating issue got me going again. Not only don't I want to become intimate with computer programs, I don't want to pay for update information that is freely available on the internet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
... it really hurts when people compare it to OpenCPN. ....
I think, for someone who needs only basic functionality, I don't know how I canNOT compare programs to see which one suits me. Perhaps on a deeper level you see what sets PV apart from all the rest, but for the basics, the three are similar with what they claim to do for me, the end user and really, if you're selling a product and have any expectation whatsoever of at a minimum breaking even, that's who you need to satisfy. It was the relatively minor frustrations I had with OpenCPN that drew me to PV, a product I happily paid for and rave about over two forums. I've also recommended PV to my sail club and several people now use it.

I get the developer perspective and how close you feel to what you created. I work at a software company and I'm surrounded by developers all day (and a more fragile ego I've yet to encounter). But isn't it kind of like a mother who thinks her child is better than all the others on the playground? Being childless, I gravitate to the one that is least annoying and doesn't snot all over me.
eherlihy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-21-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I think, for someone who needs only basic functionality, I don't know how I canNOT compare programs to see which one suits me. Perhaps on a deeper level you see what sets PV apart from all the rest, but for the basics, the three are similar with what they claim to do for me, the end user and really, if you're selling a product and have any expectation whatsoever of at a minimum breaking even, that's who you need to satisfy. It was the relatively minor frustrations I had with OpenCPN that drew me to PV, a product I happily paid for and rave about over two forums. I've also recommended PV to my sail club and several people now use it.

I get the developer perspective and how close you feel to what you created. I work at a software company and I'm surrounded by developers all day (and a more fragile ego I've yet to encounter). But isn't it kind of like a mother who thinks her child is better than all the others on the playground? Being childless, I gravitate to the one that is least annoying and doesn't snot all over me.
Awesome post Donna!

I consider myself fairly technical, however the $40 cost (now $30) kept me away from PolarView.

I tried SeaClear and OpenCPN, and finally got sick of the software not being able to find the damn GPS, and screwing with the chart libraries. Sure I could do it, but I don't trust that my wife or crew could, and in either case, it takes time that I may not have in a "hairy" situation.

I am an Active Captain user, and when I read about the integration with AC, I decided to give PolarView a try. When I saw that the price dropped to $30, I paid to give it a whirl. (that reminds me; I better apply the license code)

PolarView just works! and the chart library updater is great!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 06-21-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I'd love to be using Polar View but sadly my charts are not compatible. This is not PV's fault but the chart people who refuse to allow non proprietory use, so this is no criticism of Brak. I certainly have no problem paying the few measly dollars to buy PV but the cost of all new charts is a problem.

Unlike the US where charts are no cost and the UK that Polar are selling for what $30.00 for a full UK and Ireland set, now that is a bargain, Aus charts are $10.00 each and this is one big country. When one already has them in another format that becomes seriously expensive.

In case the link has not been provided by anyone else ....

Polar Navy - Marine Navigation Software

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-21-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Brak,
There is nothing to stop you discussing the shortcomings or merits of any system. What you cannot do is spruik Polar Navy as such.
You do need to add a signature "Marine Navigation Software Developer" though.
Cheers
Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Sometimes, when discussion like this comes up, I think I should just shut down Polar Navy - so that I can openly speak about other navigation products But the position requires that I bite my tongue

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-21-2012

100fuegos is on a distinguished road
Navionics has a sale on their android apps. I paid 8$ for the whole US and Canada. On my laptop i have Nobeltec amd Memory map. Counting my chartplotter, 2 cell phones and laptop i have 4 independent charting solutions each with its own gps and batteries. I gave up the paper charts years ago.
Old 06-21-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
Navionics has a sale on their android apps. I paid 8$ for the whole US and Canada. On my laptop i have Nobeltec amd Memory map. Counting my chartplotter, 2 cell phones and laptop i have 4 independent charting solutions each with its own gps and batteries. I gave up the paper charts years ago.
At the risk of being preachy, Canadian vessels are required to carry paper charts.

Quote:
Am I required by law to carry CHS charts? What are the Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act?
Most vessels of any kind in Canada have an obligation to carry and use official charts and publications and to keep them up to date. The chart carriage requirements are listed in the Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, 1995 of the Canada Shipping Act.

CHS paper charts meet the requirements of the chart carriage regulations. CHS digital charts meet the requirements of the chart carriage regulations under certain circumstances. CHS Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) meet the requirements provided they are used with an Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS). CHS raster charts meet the requirements only if paper charts are carried and used as a backup.
None of the equipment you have qualifies as an ECDIS.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-21-2012

100fuegos is on a distinguished road
I know very well that i do not have an ecdis, and i dont know anybody who carries all the paper charts and publications and maintain them up to date/buy new editions, do you?

Also, you are not required to carry charts if you have sufficient knowledge of the area. I have sufficient knowledge of my area and my area is planet earth!