Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
Re: Seized seacock

Ok, in the original post it was for the toilet and I missed that the photo wasn't yours. (Why put up a photo that is not a true representation? FYI- A bit confusing for my simple mind.) You should change the valve to a real seacock and put a proper backing plate on the inside of the hull. Having said that, it is a sink drain above the waterline so you might be okay, so sail for the season, limit the use of the sink or come up with an alternative for the drain or do as I mentioned above and take your chances it won't fail mid-season. I have a 1979 sabre 34 and heel quite a bit. Our gas vent is a little higher than 8-inches but essentially is a plastic thru hull with a 3/4 inch hose venting where the propane tank for the stove is. I catch a tiny bit of water in the box where the tank sits but nothing to worry about. This might be true with your sink drain. Best of luck- Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2012
Hope Floats

Sabo is on a distinguished road

Try using some pb blaster from local store and spray into seacock from under the boat, and remove hoses to the seacock and spray into it from that angle as well. Wait 20 minutes or so and try acuating it a little at a time. It takes a while to loosen that which has been stuck so long. Cheater bar over the valve handle, but don't break it.
Old 06-19-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I recently discovered that CLR cleaner works very well at cleaning the surfaces and freeing seacocks and stuck spigots.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 06-20-2012
Senior Junior Member

Watercolor is on a distinguished road

sgjfrods,

You've gotten quite a few good ideas presented to you. The best one was take some pictures. Before you do anything, I'd suggest you get someone who's worked on boats and knows his way around them, like a yard person, a surveyor or a really capable boater. It's possible the yard where he kept it or worked on it can help you.

The reason I say that is the red flag inherent in your comment "Iv'e inherrited the boat off my grandad who has unfortunately passed." I'm sure your Grandfather was an accomplished sailor and when active really looked after his boat. However, as we get older things tend to slip through the cracks (I'm 69). It's not uncommon for a boat to spend many years in the water and never used. Then sit on the hard for more years.

The Westerly is a tough English made boat with a lot of old fashioned heavy duty (by todays standards components. But, they may have been sitting for some time.

For example, I'd suggest disconnecting the hoses on each seacock and checking to see what kind of valves they are and in what condition. I'd check all hoses for age. And don't forget the stuffing box hose, it's small but can sink the boat easily. The list can go on.

Also, the westerly is an old boat. see if your Grandfather left any records as to what he replaced or had fixed on it. Anything that can give you a clear insight as to it's maintenance. Especially in the last 5 or 20 years.

They're not a fast boat, but well built and seaworthy. With some time and a few $$$ up front I'm sure your grandfather would be happy seeing it on the water again with you at the tiller.

Fair winds,

jed
Old 06-20-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabo View Post
Try using some pb blaster from local store and spray into seacock from under the boat, and remove hoses to the seacock and spray into it from that angle as well. Wait 20 minutes or so and try acuating it a little at a time. It takes a while to loosen that which has been stuck so long. Cheater bar over the valve handle, but don't break it.
Just remember that PB Blaster is going to seriously degrade anything made out rubber -- like o-rings -- internal to the gate valve.
Old 07-02-2012

sgjfrods is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for your time and help has been much appreciated, I agree with Jed i will get an old hand to help me.
Thanks to Jed for your kind words.
Cheers,
James

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.