Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Sheet to Tiller or Windvane?

I have not been off shore either, but, from a meta analysis in my own mind of the stuff I have read, a common setup for long passages is both vane steering and tiller pilot. Need tiller pilot for motoring (no worries about power), and changing sails. Nice to have vane steering to conserve power on a long passage. Going upwind in reasonable conditions, I can balance my Bristol 27 enough that I can let it sail itself indefinitely (Slocum-style). Probably wouldn't work well in big seas.
Old 06-25-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

I really appreciate everyones input. Looks like I am going to getting a Norvane windvane. I will also get a tiller pilot soon. I plan to single hand so that will be handy. I got a good deal on the Norvane unit(good thing too, its all i had), its practically new. I will post pics and let you know how it works out.

I am hoping to sail offshore from Norolk, VA to Cape Cod next year so this should give me some time to learn the setup and sail trim it likes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Get an Autohelm 1000 and a solar panel. I use an autohelm 750 and solar panel and I use it a lot. I have crossed the Gulf of Mexico with it four times. A windvane, what a silly thing to own when it is useless for most things you need an autopilot for.
You will spend a lot of time with no wind at all and a tiller pilot will seem like a godsend when you are motoring for two days.
Windvanes look all "cruisery" but I cannot imagine a more useless expensive piece of equipment.
My windvane is one of the most useful pieces of equipment I have ever put aboard ,in 28 years of mostly full time cruising. Have an autopilot screw up in mid ocean and you are in for some hard times. Not much chance of getting it fixed out there. My wind vane never breaks down and draws zero electrical power. Nothing like an autopilot breakdown in mid ocean to make one appreciate the simplicity of a wind vane.
I'd never consider heading offshore with something as fragile as an electronic autopilot. Best have both, one for motoring and the other for sailing. My autohelm drives the trimtab on my rudder, reducing the load on it to mere friction, Autohelms work far better than Navik , on a steel boat

Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Get an Autohelm 1000 and a solar panel. I use an autohelm 750 and solar panel and I use it a lot. I have crossed the Gulf of Mexico with it four times. A windvane, what a silly thing to own when it is useless for most things you need an autopilot for.
You will spend a lot of time with no wind at all and a tiller pilot will seem like a godsend when you are motoring for two days.
Windvanes look all "cruisery" but I cannot imagine a more useless expensive piece of equipment.
Obviously, you've not had much experience with a quality vane... (grin)

Sorry, but I'm with Brent, and couldn't disagree more...

One is not a substitute for the other, and small boat really meant to go places needs both...

Brent Swain likes this.
Old 06-26-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Obviously, you've not had much experience with a quality vane... (grin)

Sorry, but I'm with Brent, and couldn't disagree more...

One is not a substitute for the other, and small boat really meant to go places needs both...

NICE PIC!!! where is that at?
Old 06-26-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
NICE PIC!!! where is that at?
About 200 miles off New Jersey, approaching the Stream, enroute to Bermuda...

That was a fast trip, but I should have had weathercloths back then... (grin)

When the breeze and seas start to build, there is little comparison between the power and performance of my very capable Raymarine 6002 tillerpilot, and the Sailomat vane...

The latter is vastly superior in every respect in a breeze, definitely near the top of my list of money well spent...

I'm always perplexed by the relative lack of American cruising boats further afield not sporting a vane, I truly believe it's in large part due to the fact such a purely mechanical device cannot without needless complication be interfaced to a chartplotter, and made to steer to a waypoint... (grin)

chrisncate likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.