Help- New owner of 40ft old sailboat, can't get insurance - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 Old 12-06-2012
no longer reading SailNet

Re: Help- New owner of 40ft old sailboat, can't get insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndieck View Post
Case in point I have also learned from my friend at the marina that he got cheap liability insurance through State Farm 2 years ago, with zero experience on a 30ft sailboat. Calling State Farm, they had changed their policies and/or underwriter one year ago and no longer insure boats in the salt- he is grandfathered in, for now.
I know that this was written in June, but I wanted to say that State Farm insured us on a new boat two months ago, and it is kept in salt water. They know this too.

They did require a survey (although they asked for it months later) due to declared value. They didn't require a survey on our previous boat (worth about 1/3rd as much).

Last edited by Alex W; 12-06-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 Old 12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I know that this was written in June, but I wanted to say that State Farm insured us on a new boat two months ago, and it is kept in salt water. They know this too.

They did require a survey (although they asked for it months later) due to declared value. They didn't require a survey on our previous boat (worth about 1/3rd as much).
Beware of State Farm and other homeowners companies for boat policies. I believe that they do not know how to fully insure a boat.

I used State Farm the first year I had my boat. Then I learned about a few key things that my policy lacked. They do not cover environmental fees if your boat should leak fuel in an accident. These fees can be huge. Also, they do not cover salvage costs sufficiently. The salvage costs are capped at the value of your boat. For example, if your boat is totaled in a storm and ends up wrecked on the shore of a state park, they'll pay only the value of the boat, and that's it. So if you're required to remove the boat, that comes out of the money, and you only get what's left after paying the salvage company. Since salvage can be costly, you could get $0 for your boat. But you will definitely get less than the full value of the boat.

I went to ask my State Farm agent about these things, and she had no idea. They just do no know about the issues that boat owners face.

I moved to BoatUS and got excellent coverage for all of the missing things - at a lower rate than State Farm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
post #43 of 45 Old 12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Create a LLC, put the boat under the LLC and put it on a mooring or anchor. Its worth nothing, and the LLC will protect you...
Whether it will protect you, and to what level, depends on a LOT of different variables. Trying to do this without spending a good bit of time (and money) with an attorney would be a VERY foolish thing to do. In the end, I suspect it would be cheaper and easier to just keep looking until you find someone willing to write you a liability policy.
post #44 of 45 Old 12-06-2012

As some others have said the big advantage of BoatUS is that they understand boats.

A local yard with an excellent reputation told me BoatUS is the best of the insurance companies they deal with for exactly that reason.

I'm a little surprised that so many posters only carry minimum coverage. For a few dollars more I was able to add replacement coverage for my electronics and insure my boat for an agreed value -- it has a lot of additions a "typical" boat wouldn't have.

I just wish I could find an auto/homeowners company that provided this kind of service.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #45 of 45 Old 12-06-2012

The other huge advantage of boat US is that they actually pay. I know several people who have made claims and I have personally as well and every single one was paid in a straightforward and timely manner.

I have other friends who have fought tooth and nail over every detail for YEARS with other companies.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.