Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
girls and heels

Why is it that so many women have such a bad reaction to sailing when the boat starts to heel? Otherwise competent, confident ladies are reduced to nervous wrecks with a 20 degree heel. And of course there are plenty of great women sailors who have no problem with this - so what's your secret lady sailors? And how can I get my wife/daughter/sister/friends to relax and enjoy the ride?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2012

jerryRiggin is on a distinguished road
Experience. Just give them time and reason enough to trust the boat. Show your girls what your lady can really do.
....and a couple if shots don't hurt either.
Old 06-16-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Re: girls and heels

I wouldn't shoot them, that would make it worse.
Just explain the dynamics of sailing and provide a couple of drinks before you leave the dock.
Old 06-16-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road

I guess I misunderstood this topic and was a bit disappointed. I thought it was discussing a weakness of mine,,,,girls in heels. Oh well.
sawingknots, Heinous, GMFL and 1 others like this.
Old 06-16-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

I give the person [who may a bit worried], the wheel and a course and this gives them some responsibility. I usually go and make a cup of tea and leave them alone in the cockpit. They forget about whatever was worrying them and it really works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-16-2012
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road

hmmmm.....heeling......I gonna fall on the side of " nervous ladies " on this one . I DO NOT LIKE my boat heeled more then 10-15 degrees . I have had some ugly arguments with guys I've had on my helm . I tell them don't heel the boat more then 10-15 degrees . Next thing you know the rail is in the water . I even show them that with anymore heel on the boat then that you start to lose speed . It defies all logic to me . They don't seem to be happy unless the damn boat is shipping green water . They also don't seem to grasp the difference between making way....& making way nicely . It's happened to me so much on my boat that I've quit being nice about it & go straight to complete ass mode . Too me it's as simple as this....my boat.....I say.....& that's the just the way it is . I don't have to explain when I put someone on my helm about slowing the boat down by heeling it too much . That's just me being nice & them being stupid . I skip that step now . My favorite is being told that the boat creeps up on the wind on it's own . **** me....I wish I was a tree . If the boat would helm itself I wouldn't have anyone at the wheel . Anyway .....that's what I have to say about that . Do a complete victory roll if you want.....just do it on your boat . Go ahead....lay right down & go slower dumb asses !!!!
rugosa and flyingjib like this.
Old 06-16-2012

tspooner is on a distinguished road

I've found that my gal is much more condoning after a can or two of "liquid courage". I start off as flat as I can and slowly point and trim up to 20 degrees which is about my limit of comfort as well realizing that a sudden gust will bring her back to an upside down grin and start her talking of returning to port.
Old 06-16-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

yer all dating the WRONG women..LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 06-16-2012

davester is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryRiggin View Post
Experience. Just give them time and reason enough to trust the boat.
And to this end- sail the boat within the abilities of the crew. There might be good reasons for their nervousness... not that the boat is going to tip over, but that they don't feel they can move around safely, for example.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 06-16-2012

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road

Start her on a Hobie Cat. Worked for me, I don't get edgy til at least 30 degrees of heel. Of course, we go faster with the flying hull just skimming the water.

Joking aside, there's something to be said for having what she's worried about happen or proving that it won't happen. On a dinghy, people are much more comfortable after a few capsizes and recoveries. On a keelboat, you may find that burying the rail and surviving (without any issues or panic) helps sailors be comfortable with 5-10 degree less heel than that. Knowing what it takes to capsize a large dinghy and how it feels before it goes over will also make you aware that at 20 degrees you're nowhere near capsize.

And honestly, if you're not going faster or having more control, why heel more? The right angle of heel depends on your boat but if it's just to feel saltier, maybe she's right. If you're doing any extended cruising, you may want to look into the relationship between degree of heel and crew exhaustion. Turns out that just being heeled for hours can wear people down. The research was done mostly with Navy crew, so it's not just that they weren't tough enough or used to it.