Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I know why the Previous Owner sold the boat!

Bought myself a Hardin45; A beautiful boat that everone admires.
There are/were quite a few repairs and replacements to make her to be sea worthy in MOHO.
1. replaces all of the electronics. None worked worth a damn.
2. replaced the commode. Rebuilt thrice and replaced it... have an MSD I on board that I need to install.
3. Rebuilt two blige pumps
4. Replaced the Fresh Water pump.
5. Replaced an A/C cooling pump.
6. Oil pressure gauge needs to looked at.
7. Need to acquire an EPRIB.
8. Boat is infested with Ants.
9. Refrigerator needs to be replaced
10. The varnish work is about five or more years behind in upkeep.
11. I dread in doing a full inspection of the masts. Including putting in a new masthead light.
12. Building a list of spare parts needing to be acquired.

And the Worst thing is when moving from an apartment to a boat you find you have WAY to much junk and no place for all it. So been giving away a lot of stuff. The stuff is disappearing very slowly.

The good thing; is that I'm fully retired and my new job is taking care of the "Rapture" one project at a time. There have been lazy days and long work days... But hey!! I am working at a retiree's pace.

The answer to the title question is: He didn't want to make the repairs himself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 06-16-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: I know why the Previous Owner sold the boat!

Good for you...I am not so familiar with Hardin's though I'm learning...but will surely look it up...sounds like the affair is not above your grasp by a long shot...so keep at it..and keep us posted...we especially value pics...they really tell the story as well as anything since afterall...we're yachtsmen and with any sea-miles under the belt naturally a bit skeptic...hopefully not septic...only one consonant separates us from that adjective though...or at least at times it does...hat's why we have to be careful...but we digress...pics tell us more of the story..good luck with your big lady there...I see now that there is a thread devoted to your big girl..wish there was such a thread for my big girl...there were only 50 Columbia 40's made though........but I love her...like the hardin 45 she's big n' curvy..admittedly..that's how I like 'em...

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-16-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Yeah, all my life I worked to buy a boat and now I work on maintaining it! But it's better than being at the office.
Old 06-16-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Buy a smaller boat with less crap to fail
Captainmeme likes this.
Old 06-17-2012

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

I've had good success with TAT ant traps. On a boat, the little steel can make a rust stain so don't set it directly on anything. After a while, you won't need them.
Old 06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Bought myself a Hardin45; A beautiful boat that everone admires.
There are/were quite a few repairs and replacements to make her to be sea worthy in MOHO.
1. replaces all of the electronics. None worked worth a damn.
2. replaced the commode. Rebuilt thrice and replaced it... have an MSD I on board that I need to install.
3. Rebuilt two blige pumps
4. Replaced the Fresh Water pump.
5. Replaced an A/C cooling pump.
6. Oil pressure gauge needs to looked at.
7. Need to acquire an EPRIB.
8. Boat is infested with Ants.
9. Refrigerator needs to be replaced
10. The varnish work is about five or more years behind in upkeep.
11. I dread in doing a full inspection of the masts. Including putting in a new masthead light.
12. Building a list of spare parts needing to be acquired.

And the Worst thing is when moving from an apartment to a boat you find you have WAY to much junk and no place for all it. So been giving away a lot of stuff. The stuff is disappearing very slowly.

The good thing; is that I'm fully retired and my new job is taking care of the "Rapture" one project at a time. There have been lazy days and long work days... But hey!! I am working at a retiree's pace.

The answer to the title question is: He didn't want to make the repairs himself.
I have a million projects to do on mine...but I will be doing them all myself as well....A Morgan Columbia 40 is really about as big inside as a modern 36-footer...maybe even 34-footer's in some cases...she is only 10 foot 8 inches on the beam...she has wide catwalks though..and still plenty of room though it's storage area room and not "roomy" room like aft cabins or condo-size salon..It's a big enough main salon to be quite comfortable...Alot of older 60's early 70's boats that people don't want after seeing the amount of space their friends new floating Condo like a Beneteau/Catalina but I like the looks and sea-handling qualities of a traditional, narrow hull with overhangs...Despite not having the interior spaciousness of an apartment...she does have alot of interior space for storage
Old 06-17-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Boasun....sounds like a labour of Love! How many of those items did you know about prior to buying?

We are looking to buy our first sailboat ever and even from surveys items can be missed as well. For me, I just want to make sure all the mechanical and structurals are sound, I don't mind the puttering.

Maybe everybody should buy a sailboat....we all have way to much stuff, and I know we are ready for a purge.

Good luck with all your chores..and enjoy your retirement!

Cheers,

Last edited by Kalina-Lona; 06-17-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

bosan.. we need photos to share your pain! congrats on the new love in your life

my current "project"!
Old 06-17-2012

Hardin 45 seems to have a loyal following...Oh btw...I noticed we now have some others clamoring for pics as well...

That is a big boat...and seems big boat gear can potentially last longer than smaller boat gear due to it's sheer size...? SS wire rope seems to last a bit longer when you get into bigger gauges and yes it's expensive to replace that teak toe rail but that teak toe rail might last 50 years due to the large size of the wood extrusionss themselves in that size boat...anyone follow me? Seems like sometimes bigger is certainly better...Especially if you eventually run into something... it's nice to have a thick hull at the waterline...repairs are more costly..and jobs takes twice as long or more than smaller boats...For Liveaboards I think bigger is better but it all depends...singlehand or crewed ?etc,etc..But big boats seem to be affordable as ever right now...though they may need alot of work...I love the deck space (especially side-decks) on my little big boat as I mentioned..

Last edited by souljour2000; 06-17-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
But hey!! I am working at a retiree's pace.
Better pick up the pace or it'll never get done - I speak from experience.
msmith10 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.